Windex is good for windows
Meguiars NXT is great for Wax
Meguiars also makes a good Clay Bar Kit
Eagle One makes a good Tire Shine
Can't really go wrong with any reputable company's Car Soap
I don't like most wheel cleaners so choose as you see fit
Laquer Thinner can be found at your local Hardware Store
Microfiber towels can be found at Advanced Auto Parts
Cotton towels can just be old towels you cut up into smaller sections, or old dish towels

Hitch

2 Fast
Car(s)
MKV GTI '06
Maybe they can change my status from Touring Car Champion to Detailing Guru? haha, thanks guys

Go ahead and note it down, so we can keep it in mind everytime we see it. :thumbsup:

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
Then take your water hose or pressure washer and spray out the engine bay.
I know you said be careful, but pressure cleaners in the engine bay are a no-no - they cause water to be pushed where water isn't designed to be. A car is protected from water, but only really in certain ways (i.e. immersing a car isn't good) a pressure cleaner can simulate this condition - even low end models are 1400PSI or more of pressure. :eek:

Re: Clay-bar it's a good tip to break off sections at a time. Use smaller pieces, cause if you drop it (and you will drop it), it's basically ruined. :cry:

Re: The rinse before drying ... lots of people spray and spray and spray thinking it'll make the car easier to dry ... WRONG. If you "sheet" water over the car - top to bottom panel at a time - it'll be 90% dry before you even start. Just try it, spray v's sheet. By sheeting I mean a thin continuous layer of water .... best done without any attachment to the hose. A well cared for and "Clean" (everyone cleans their shammy after each use don't they ??) shammy is fine.

Now, wax the entire car like this, including headlights, tail lights, even emblems.
Be careful which wax is used, some will actually eat plastics including headlights (it's the additive they use) - leaving a slightly cloudy appearance.

After you wait a day, you can also apply another coat of wax to act as a "Sealer" wax and it will be super smooth.
If you have waited a day, it has to be dust and dirt free still (pointless if it's been sitting in the open or driven), I normally do a sealer within 4-6 hours, the wax may not be 100% hard as it will 24 hours later, but you don't risk rubbing in dirt or scratching the next day.

Also if it's not been said don't wash when the car is hot or in the sun - shade only and cooler days IF possible.

- M -

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
I know you said be careful, but pressure cleaners in the engine bay are a no-no - they cause water to be pushed where water isn't designed to be. A car is protected from water, but only really in certain ways (i.e. immersing a car isn't good) a pressure cleaner can simulate this condition - even low end models are 1400PSI or more of pressure. :eek:

Like I said you have to be careful, but It does not hurt the vehicle. As with anything you do to your car, you have to have a basic knowledge of the vehicle. We do this to all of our details, we have to b/c of all the pollen around here.

Re: Clay-bar it's a good tip to break off sections at a time. Use smaller pieces, cause if you drop it (and you will drop it), it's basically ruined. :cry:

I forgot to mention this, he is right. It is good to use smaller pieces.

Re: The rinse before drying ... lots of people spray and spray and spray thinking it'll make the car easier to dry ... WRONG. If you "sheet" water over the car - top to bottom panel at a time - it'll be 90% dry before you even start. Just try it, spray v's sheet. By sheeting I mean a thin continuous layer of water .... best done without any attachment to the hose. A well cared for and "Clean" (everyone cleans their shammy after each use don't they ??) shammy is fine.

I'm guessing what you are trying to say here is to just put a quick layer of water over the entire car, then dry it. But if you are detailing out of the sun like I stated above, then you shouldn't have to worry about the car drying so fast. But If you are washing it out in the sun then yes, just hit it with a quick layer of water so it's easier to dry. And I still would never use a shamy, because most people never wash them, and I still feel that no matter how many times you wash them, stuff is still left on there. For me a towel is always softer than a shamy, but to each his own.

Be careful which wax is used, some will actually eat plastics including headlights (it's the additive they use) - leaving a slightly cloudy appearance.

I've never heard of any such wax, and we use some pretty high end stuff at our detail department. Another thing, Our headlights are GLASS, so the wax will still be fine on those. If you could find the name of the additive that makes plastic haze then please post it so people can look out for it. But i've used almost every major name brand wax and never had this result.

If you have waited a day, it has to be dust and dirt free still (pointless if it's been sitting in the open or driven), I normally do a sealer within 4-6 hours, the wax may not be 100% hard as it will 24 hours later, but you don't risk rubbing in dirt or scratching the next day.

Once again, he got where i forgot to mention that you need to dust off the car, or do a quick rinse/wash to remove the dust. I use a California Duster which works very well, but do it however you can.

Also if it's not been said don't wash when the car is hot or in the sun - shade only and cooler days IF possible.

I did say it, but it's always good to say it again:thumbsup:

Very good points, just some things I forgot to mention b/c they are so second nature to me, so Thank you for bringing them up again.

-Cameron

latenite

Conan O'Brien
thanks for the write up. being a hobby detailer, i was just wondering if this writeup was more for the average driver. i noticed you left out the whole pre-wax polishing stage. you are also reccommending over the counter products only. the only thing i disagree with is the windex, which has ammonia. Stoners Invisible Glass and Meguiars NXT window cleaner are really good products. and when drying, it is best to use microfiber rather than cloth because microfiber has little naps in the fiber where dirt particles can bury themselves. If i have time later, i will write up an extreme detailing guide, or at least find one. Problem is that people would have to invest in about 250 dollars of equipment. thanks again for the writeup

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
STICKY PLEASE! so people don't have to search-search or make duplicates. 5-stars, great write up, very helpful. :thumbup: I'm iffy about hosing down the engine bay though lol, as I have an aftermarket intake. :iono:

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
thanks for the write up. being a hobby detailer, i was just wondering if this writeup was more for the average driver. i noticed you left out the whole pre-wax polishing stage. you are also reccommending over the counter products only. the only thing i disagree with is the windex, which has ammonia. Stoners Invisible Glass and Meguiars NXT window cleaner are really good products. and when drying, it is best to use microfiber rather than cloth because microfiber has little naps in the fiber where dirt particles can bury themselves. If i have time later, i will write up an extreme detailing guide, or at least find one. Problem is that people would have to invest in about 250 dollars of equipment. thanks again for the writeup

Drying with microfiber? hmmm... I don't know. The microfiber we use doesn't absorb moisture as much as it just pushes it around. Soft cotten towels work great. As far as the Window cleaner, I agree that ammonia can be bad in large amounts, so yes if you prefer to use something else go for it. To each his own.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
STICKY PLEASE! so people don't have to search-search or make duplicates. 5-stars, great write up, very helpful. :thumbup: I'm iffy about hosing down the engine bay though lol, as I have an aftermarket intake. :iono:

Throw a towel over the intake or just don't hose that part down, you should be fine.

I didn't like hosing down my engine bay but after Someone show'd me how to do it I became comfortable with it... i'll try to go take pictures since I'm at work now.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Sure thing, that'd be sweet. I'm just scared of parts in the engine bay either rusting/corroding, and who knows what else you know? :iono: I've never really seen it done or experienced it before either.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1

Yeah, I have the same issue, so I usually just wipe it down with the towel I use to dry the car. Most of it is just dust and dirt and if you wipe the engine down everytime you wash your car, it shouldn't get too dirty.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Yeah, I usually just give it a quick wipe. But the hosing down thing I'm scared about.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Yeah, I usually just give it a quick wipe. But the hosing down thing I'm scared about.

Then don't do it. I haven't done it either and I probably won't, at least not until it gets really dirty. I'm sure some moisture gets in the engine bay anyhow from driving in lots of rain or on those humid days.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
True. Yeah, you're right :smile:. It's crazy how those body shops can clean the entire engine bay no matter how dirty it is... amazing :drool: