GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

90K miles & looking to keep my Gti for much longer. What should I change ?

Cabra

Ready to race!
I have a 2007 MKV with 92k miles.
All stock and original parts with the exception of a downpipe and Stage 2 tune.

I was recently diagnosed with pretty bad carbon build up which is something Ill be fixing.

Along with that, Im wondering what else can I do to bring some pep back to the car and keep it running strong for a while.

I was thinking: timing belt, coils/plugs, coolant flush and fill, trans fluid flush and fill.

Any other suggestions ?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I was thinking: timing belt.

And the water pump and tensioner. I used the kit from http://www.blauparts.com/ and it had everything to get the job done.

I was thinking: trans fluid flush and fill.

I'm not sure what kind of transmission you have, but if it's DSG, this should have been done twice by now, or every 40k miles.

I was recently diagnosed with pretty bad carbon build up which is something Ill be fixing.

I'm in the same boat at 99k with this. Going to get it taken care of this summer. I haven't had any misfires or anything yet, but I know it has to be bad by now since they've never been cleaned.

Cabra

Ready to race!
Yup, DSG.
Thanks for the input

I'm not sure what kind of transmission you have, but if it's DSG, this should have been done twice by now, or every 40k miles.

Cabra

Ready to race!
Im going to start with Sea Foam directly into intake.

Should I also add Sea Foam to the gas tank and crank case (oil) ?

sirsycott

Vagcom In OC = Me
Im going to start with Sea Foam directly into intake.

Should I also add Sea Foam to the gas tank and crank case (oil) ?

don't waste your time with seafoam, it's been discussed many times already
and it doesn't help that much

you're better off getting valves cleaned out manually

i hit the 90k mark last month, no issues so far, i'm gonna clean the valves at 100k

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
don't waste your time with seafoam, it's been discussed many times already
and it doesn't help that much

you're better off getting valves cleaned out manually

This. They basically have to be cleaned by hand and manual labor.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Cabra

Ready to race!
If I remove the manifold to clean the valves, is there anything else I should do (upgrade, repair, maintenance) while I have the cover off ?

aqeel27

Ready to race!
My mkv is about to hit 100k miles and wanted to know if the following would be a sufficient list for a 100k mile service. Also, how much should i be paying to get this stuff done?
1. Replace timing belt, water pump, drive belt
2. Flush brake, steering, coolant, and transmission fluid
3. inspect/replace cam follower

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Consider changing your cam chain tensioner too. About $220 in after market parts plus another $120 in special tools but its jus as important as your timing belt an there has been some recent buzz about them breaking lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

1. Replace timing belt, water pump, drive belt
Yes

2. Flush brake, steering, coolant, and transmission fluid

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years.
No steering fluid.
Coolant is lifetime coolant. if you flush, you MUST use the pink G12 coolant or you'll clog your hoses with pudding
Trans fluid every 40k

3. inspect/replace cam follower

If you havent been doing this regularly, it might already be too late. Pull it and inspect but expect to replace it if it has been longer than 40k.

aqeel27

Ready to race!
Consider changing your cam chain tensioner too. About $220 in after market parts plus another $120 in special tools but its jus as important as your timing belt an there has been some recent buzz about them breaking lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about buying one of those timing belt kits from ECS but will need to find a decent mechanic nearby to do all the work. thanks for the heads up regarding the cam chain tensioner but does that apply to FSI engines too?

aqeel27

Ready to race!
Yes

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years.
No steering fluid.
Coolant is lifetime coolant. if you flush, you MUST use the pink G12 coolant or you'll clog your hoses with pudding
Trans fluid every 40k

If you havent been doing this regularly, it might already be too late. Pull it and inspect but expect to replace it if it has been longer than 40k.

thanks! :thumbsup:

thecytochromec

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat. I just changed my cabin air filter, gear oil, and fuel filter. I haven't checked my cam follower since mile 1 and I'm now at 110,000 :eyebulge: Is it too late?

I tried looking around for a timing belt DIY and didn't find one, am I missing something? - Oh never mind there it is..

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I'm in the same boat. I just changed my cabin air filter, gear oil, and fuel filter. I haven't checked my cam follower since mile 1 and I'm now at 110,000 :eyebulge: Is it too late?

I tried looking around for a timing belt DIY and didn't find one, am I missing something? - Oh never mind there it is..

Oh GD! id personally be afraid to look at my cam follower after that many miles !