GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to buy dude's GTI if VW Credit still owns it?

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
As most all of my posts indicate, I'm looking to find a MKV GTI. I found a nice 09' from a guy who messaged me here on the forum. Only issue is, he still owes on the car to VW of America. Though I'm going to call VW HQ directly Monday morning to ask them how best to navigate this issue, I figured a friendly post wouldn't hurt! Given an all cash purchase, how can I/we payoff the loan, and get the title or at least something similar in the interim? I asked him but I wanted a neutral source who may have more experience in this area. Plus he's out on vaca.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
He doesn't have the title til the bank receives the full amount owed. He's gotta pay it off first, then you guys can talk about the sale...

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It varies by state, but essentially you need a bill of sale that would be contingent on him paying off the car. Whoever holds the title will mail it out, then he can sign it over to you. I'm going through this right now with my friend's MK6, a week has passed and we are still waiting for the title to appear.

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
It varies by state, but essentially you need a bill of sale that would be contingent on him paying off the car. Whoever holds the title will mail it out, then he can sign it over to you. I'm going through this right now with my friend's MK6, a week has passed and we are still waiting for the title to appear.

Sounds like I should maybe leave this situation be. It seems hella risky the more I think about it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's not risky but it will take time. Have him deliver the car if you go through with it, and sign the bill of sale. There may be another form the dealers know about and I don't. At least it will be sitting in your driveway and not his.

Sent via smoke signals

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
It's not risky but it will take time. Have him deliver the car if you go through with it, and sign the bill of sale. There may be another form the dealers know about and I don't. At least it will be sitting in your driveway and not his.

Sent via smoke signals

Thanks for your clarity on this issue. I want this deal to go through but unfortunately I'm not dealing with my friend, I'm dealing with some dude from this site so my guard is up until I'm totally clear on the issue.

He doesn't have $11.5k to pay off the car, I do. I don't want to give him $11.5k to give to VW and wait for him to get a title and mail it to me. Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but whose to say if I did the above, car located in SoFL, and drove back to NoFL, he wouldn't call the car in as stolen, never mail title... Is that just the risk I run?

Plus, I'd need to register car at some point as well so I could get insurance on it. I really do want the car but not at the expense of being swindled. As always, thanks for the replies and help!

prodigy2002

You can pay for the car and take delivery without the title. I bought my bike in this same manner. Just have him give you a receipt or hand written bill of sale and make a copy of the check. Once he cashes it and pays off the car vw will send him the title and he can send it to you. You have a paper trail so if he tries to pull a fast one you can prove that you legally purchased the car. People do this all the time it's not a big deal. But be wary if the car is not in his name, then it might be a scam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
You can pay for the car and take delivery without the title. I bought my bike in this same manner. Just have him give you a receipt or hand written bill of sale and make a copy of the check. Once he cashes it and pays off the car vw will send him the title and he can send it to you. You have a paper trail so if he tries to pull a fast one you can prove that you legally purchased the car. People do this all the time it's not a big deal. But be wary if the car is not in his name, then it might be a scam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alright, I feel more comfortable with this issue now. Only issue is he's in SoFL and I'm in NoFL so there could be some back and forth but we shall see what happens.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
Just buy mine, I have the title in hand lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Found out today I can get a temporary tag while we wait on the title. Just bring your bill of sale to the motor vehicle office.

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
Found out today I can get a temporary tag while we wait on the title. Just bring your bill of sale to the motor vehicle office.

Ok sweet. I think I'm going to pursue this option. Just need to get my bill of sale and everything done to cover myself. I actually have a tag, just need a car to put it on! I called VW Credit and speaking with them we can do the payoff over the phone and from there, I can take the car and once title comes in, he can sign it over then mail it to me so I can register car. If this doesn't work, I've been checking out some Cooper S's. Not a GTI but I need a car because school starts in a month and driving around in this Malibu is getting old. Especially since my buddy just got an FR-S last night, there are a few stop lights and highway trips we need to make to see whose car can do what?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The Cooper S is a fun car. Just drive a few, some are better built than others. Listen for timing chain rattles (different from the direct injection clatter).
Also, the temp tag here is only for when you've waited 7 days without a title. Then the temp tag expires after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed this title comes next week.

Sent via smoke signals

hkyktms

Passed Driver's Ed
The Cooper S is a fun car. Just drive a few, some are better built than others. Listen for timing chain rattles (different from the direct injection clatter).
Also, the temp tag here is only for when you've waited 7 days without a title. Then the temp tag expires after 2 weeks. Fingers crossed this title comes next week.

Sent via smoke signals

Sweet, so I have a tag, at least as of now, that I can put on the car. Issue now is how can I get the car insured until the title comes in. Any thoughts?