GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Neuspeed Power Pulley Kit

plac

GTI Master
The damn lower pulley wont stop turning so i can break the bolts loose.. i even tried my electric impact gun..

plac

GTI Master
I had to bail out of this install.. Unbelievable... pics soon.

Step 1: Remove the center main splash sheild. 3 bolts on each side.

You then take off a small sheild which covers the pulley. 7 bolts.

I sprayed with WD-40. I even resorted to trying my impact gun to loosen these up.

This is how I finally figured out how to hold the crank as I worked on the 6 crank pulley bolts.

I failed, ands gave up. I got only one bolt broken loose. Couple others turned inside. I stopped soon enough so they are not wrecked. But I cant do this in my garage. If I strip out my crank pulley bolts I'm hosed. I cant afford to be fixing my crank pulley, I use my car every day. So I have different options. One, is take it to a proper shop and have them use their more powerful gun. Worst case, they could take off the main crank bolt and remove the whole pulley.

Last edited:

plac

GTI Master
bought an air gun today. only got 4 bolts loose. 2 bolts are rounded off. prob take it to a shop now to try and clean up this mess.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
What brand of an allen head did you use? It probably needs to be done only with a good air impact. I bet they're loctited like a big dog. I wish they used a 10 or 12mm bolt head instead. That sucks man. Hope you get that worked out. Curious to hear your sotp dyno impression.

plac

GTI Master
if i had started with my impact gun at first i'd have been fine. im taking it to a shop monday to see if they can salvage it.

rabid_rabbit

Just a GTI lover...
Car(s)
MkV GTI DSG
Yeah, what IS the end result of the power pulley? Is it worth the investment. I'm hearing mixed feedback. Some say it's not good cos it slows the alternator down, others say it's good.

Final Verdict anyone? Is it better to get a pulley the same size as the OEM one but made of a lighter material, or the smaller alternative?

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Not to raise a thread from the dead, but I'm going to raise a thread from the dead......

Just wondering people's impressions of the lighter crank pulley. I was thinking about buying one from ECS and was wondering if those that have the mod might give some impressions of it. Sounds like a relatively easy install and that it would help the turbo to spool up quicker/better throttle response.

So, who's running one?

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Not to raise a thread from the dead, but I'm going to raise a thread from the dead......

Just wondering people's impressions of the lighter crank pulley. I was thinking about buying one from ECS and was wondering if those that have the mod might give some impressions of it. Sounds like a relatively easy install and that it would help the turbo to spool up quicker/better throttle response.

So, who's running one?

The weight difference is several pounds sitting on the crankshaft. I never dyno'd it but it seemed to improve throttle response. Yo can find it for about $155 shipped. Newer cars have better bolts than the early car btw.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
What about replacement belts? Do you have to go directly through neuspeed for it or is this as typical replacement?

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
I know the belt is shorter than stock........don't know if you can just get the different length at a local parts store.........

plac

GTI Master
You will find my write up on it somewhere. Dont bother. Those bolts are a bitch to get out and half the time they strip out.

plac

GTI Master
ROFL.... my write up is IN this thread... i was looking all over for it.. i just fixed all my pix..

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for getting the pictures back up!

And I had a SpecV a number of years ago as well. It was a decent little car all in all, the tranny was a POS, but it handled well, the Brembo brakes were freaking awesome, and all the low end torque made it fun to drive. I had an intake, header, exhaust, motor mounts, suspension stuff, etc.......again, fun little car......