GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmkv OFF-TOPIC chat (Part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
I have no idea if it is the same motor... but it's a 5.4 for sure. I figure by MY 2012 they would have to have it all sorted right?

New Raptor is ecoboost which is a smart marketing ploy

Hell no. If its any relation to the old 5.4 triton its been in production since like 2001. They're HORRIBLE. Theres some things on it that you're better off pulling the cab off the truck to service the engine. Its like the audi 4.2, except that even despite the stupid service requirments it was a great engine. The 5.4 was shit, AND impossible to service.

These are the plugs to the 5.4 triton. Pretty much every time you go to change them these break just past the threads. Then you have to pull the head off to get it out. Even with the special tool its 50/50 at best whether or not it'll break.

This is the easiest way to change them.

Don't ever EVER buy a vehicle with a 5.4 in it.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Hell no. If its any relation to the old 5.4 triton its been in production since like 2001. They're HORRIBLE. Theres some things on it that you're better off pulling the cab off the truck to service the engine. Its like the audi 4.2, except that even despite the stupid service requirments it was a great engine. The 5.4 was shit, AND impossible to service.

These are the plugs to the 5.4 triton. Pretty much every time you go to change them these break just past the threads. Then you have to pull the head off to get it out. Even with the special tool its 50/50 at best whether or not it'll break.

This is the easiest way to change them.

Don't ever EVER buy a vehicle with a 5.4 in it.
This, I've worked on a handful of 5.4's and they're shitty. And really don't have good power either. The 5.0/3.6TT/6.2 all infinitely better motors.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Or just wait and save for a downpayment/or for them to go down in price a bit more. That may not happen if the second gen one with the TT V6 doesn't sell as well.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Or just wait and save for a downpayment/or for them to go down in price a bit more. That may not happen if the second gen one with the TT V6 doesn't sell as well.
I feel like en ecoboost engine would sell better than a 6.2. Car and driver are saying the truck is expected to be 450-500hp. Assuming that's a safer point on a turbo'd engine there is still room for growth. That's a nice gain from the 411hp gas sucking engine it has now. Should expect the ecoboost to post slightly better MPG as well.

Guess we will see.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I feel like en ecoboost engine would sell better than a 6.2. Car and driver are saying the truck is expected to be 450-500hp. Assuming that's a safer point on a turbo'd engine there is still room for growth. That's a nice gain from the 411hp gas sucking engine it has now. Should expect the ecoboost to post slightly better MPG as well.

Guess we will see.

Should being the key word. On paper, yes. But as we all know, to get the performance out of a boosted engine requires using said boost. And we know that uses a lot more fuel. It's already been proven that the Ecoboost in the F150, even the 90lb lighter one than a Silverado, uses just as much fuel as the good old LS3 in the top model Silverado. And per the Car and Driver review, the LS3 requires mid grade and the Ecoboost requires premium.

Call me old school, but I'm a fan of a V8 in a truck and having it be a little less complex. Two turbos just means more stuff to break and for seals to start leaking as the miles pile on. And it's hard to fault the LS3.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What happens when you turn up said boost?

More power, potentially better fuel economy "off boost," but let's be real. It's a 5600lb truck. You're going to be in boost to get it up and going. And more boost long term wise may mean more wear and tear on everything from the turbos to the drivetrain.

Subie2013

Humble yourself
Should being the key word. On paper, yes. But as we all know, to get the performance out of a boosted engine requires using said boost. And we know that uses a lot more fuel. It's already been proven that the Ecoboost in the F150, even the 90lb lighter one than a Silverado, uses just as much fuel as the good old LS3 in the top model Silverado. And per the Car and Driver review, the LS3 requires mid grade and the Ecoboost requires premium.

Call me old school, but I'm a fan of a V8 in a truck and having it be a little less complex. Two turbos just means more stuff to break and for seals to start leaking as the miles pile on. And it's hard to fault the LS3.
Uh, 99% positive the 6.2 in the Chevy requires 91oct.

Also, that engine isn't camparable to a new ecoboost. The engine is gonna have 100+ more horsepower.

And I'll give you that, Chevy's done a great job getting decent mileage out of their trucks. The 5.3L gets awesome MPG. Lower 20's.

But you're changing the subject, the 6.2 in the raptor is a different animal. 12-14 mpg, 411hp. Although I don't know a lot about their reliability I've just heard good things about them. Now when you have an ecoboost engine that is prevailed to be a good engine, can they make it reliable at the higher HP? What kind of mpg is it gonna get. And how easy is it to service are all going to be good questions.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Touché about changing subject. It'd be cool if Chevrolet came out with a Raptor competitor and threw the LT-4 in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.