GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track car vs. Daily Driver

Panman

Frequent Modder
So, here's the question. Starting to do more and more track days of late and the question is now rearing it's head... Do I

1. Do some more track prep on the daily driver (R32) - track wheels and tyres, brakes, suspension etc.

or

2. Invest in a cheap (and I mean cheap!) dedicated track car (registerable to drive to and from Lakeside, Morgan Park, the paperclip, Mt Cotton etc.)

My thoughts are turning idly in the direction of:

MX-5 1.6 (Early <7K)
VB-VL Commodore (either V8 or if VL 3.0L)
Silvia/Skyline/180SX

And of course your suggestions....

Whatever it is will get a cage fitted and be trackworthy so generally only driven on (or to and from) the track.

Thoughts?

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
Or buy a car trailer and make a proper track car so you're not stuck with some vaguely road registered track car thats stuck between race and road but not ideal for either.

If you're going to keep tracking and mod'ing then i'd go dedicated track car cos the more you do to your daily the less its worth in the long run and you're also stuck if you break something at the track! If its race only you can also pick up very cheap imports or even race cars that cannot be road registered. Maybe consider an older BMW 318i or similar as well? Stripped out they go well on the track and you can always bolt a SC to it for more fun.

Robby_jai

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3, AUDI Q5
hi keith

i am sort of in the same conundrum as you. i do quite a fair few track days... and am wondering the same thing.

sort of a pain in the ass to rip off different sets of wheels every track day etc...

my thoughts would be if you intend to get serious and compete in things like supersprint series and other comps.. get a dedicated track car.

if not and you just wanna do it for fun then keep the road going version and just up the ante a bit more. super charger/turbo charger ? :)

i made the decision to make my road car also more track friendly :) because at this point in time i dont have any thoughts of getting serious and competing etc :) hence my little project S3

cheers

rob

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Just get a dedicated track car before you wreck the R32. They are hardly good track cars anyway (too heavy/slow) and too expensive IMO if something goes wrong.

I get annoyed enough at the door jam rubbers creaking on the bodywork and after hard tracking you'd get 10x the noises etc. Although you if you can just trade it in every few years and don't care then go for it.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
If you've got the space, I believe a race/rally import is the way to go.
Register it with CAMS for event use only and you don't have to do the usual compliance when it lands in oz, so it is significantly cheaper (Modded R32 GTR for around 13-14k).

You'll easily spend that on mods to get your R32 up to 'fun' in a track sense, but it will still be massively compromised as you've got to keep the interior etc.

I think the guys who started tracking their daily drivers realise this may be the way to go pretty quickly (the reason Wipperman has an Rx7, i'd say!).

I'm already sold on the idea, but don't have the room (yet).
I've been sending around emails to storage companies to see if getting a dedicated, B-registered (limited use) track car is affordable, as I'm not prepared to park a caged S15 Silvia or Skyline on my front lawn :p

I started looking at the S13 Silvia 180sx, but then realised that you can get an S15 Silvia (which is much prettier - hey it counts!) or an R32 GTR Skyline as a race/rally import for about the same price as a local S13 shitter - AND it is likely to have plenty of the big $ power and race mods already done (with 7k as your base, I'm imagining you'd be spending a fair bit on cage/tyres with a local car).

It has been a weird holiday for me - started out looking at the NA MX5, then started escelating that to have an LS2 fitted(flyingmiata.com), but then realised at that price I may as well buy an import ready to go!
Hence starting to look at hypo Nissans.
Plenty of local support for these cars and you can have something that you can modify without compromise... You can still drive to the track, but not every day with the appropriate CAMS registration.

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I reckon it is cool to get a road registered race car, then just drive out. Saves getting a trailer and something to pull it, and can still be fairly hard-core.

The N/A mx5 2F cars are great for the money but a mate has recently got a turbo'd one and said it makes the N/A feel totally gutless. Totally different game. Although can't argue for the price.

RX-7, Silvia or old Libery/WRX would still be ok too.

Also you don't need CAMS for a lot of the days/events but that may be helpful if you get addicted later on & want to go in bigger events.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I think that is the beauty of the CAMS licence, Greg.

You don't need to trailer the car to the event (not that a tow hook is an option for the guys with VW R32s), but you need to show that you're on your way to an event if you get pulled over by the law.
It is a limited road use licence - something to be used for going to/from the track or to the workshop for repair/mods/maintenance.

In *theory* it should be cheaper, but it rules your race car out of being the car you take for a Sunday morning punt through the hills... probably not a bad thing on public roads!

I'll look into this side a bit more and post back if I find anything... although the info I get is likely to be WA specific when it comes to the licence types.
The CAMS info will be national.

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
IMO a dedicated track car would be better in order for the fact if it breaks/crashes it can sit in the shed for awhile while you can not have to worry how to get too and from work everyday,
a VL/VB commodore will be an absoloute PIG on a track and would reconmend an import of some type (S13,R32 skyline,EVO) strip it compleatly out and not have as much "care" to take.

hope it all works out well.

on a side note. im still loving this milltek keith :biggrin:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
MX5. Just do it.

Start with that because its fun and relatively cheap. If the track day thing really takes off then you can raise the bar a little.

Unless you have the cash to go all out and get a Caterham or similar, haha.

saad

Go Kart Champion
I too soon will be investing in a dedicated track car or a daily/track and use the GTI as my 'nice' car. Been looking at some 205 gti's

Wipperman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
`
Keith,

CAMS Rally rego is not the same in each state so check every detail b4 any purchase. Ring the national number and ask to speak to the QLD motorsport development officer. The head office is in VIC, and no-one at head office could clarify what happens for NSW for instance. Best to speak to someone local.

CAMS rego is STILL covered by your local state traffic authority. e.g QR or RTA or Vic Roads. CAMS only keeps a register via a log book and your CAMS lic.
It took me 3 full days of chasing paperwork and getting stuff together to get my car re-registered. The rego had lapsed on my rotor and it was a super headfuck to get valid again.

The best bet for CAMS rego requirements is to find out the local CAMS blue slip mechanics and go to them and ask any questions b4 as well. I did this with my RX7 as even the local RTA staff were not 100% sure. There are only select mechanics who do CAMS blue slip. e.g there were 2 in Sydney that I could find.

CAMS rego still requires a Green slip and a rego sticker. There is 1 line of text printed on the rego label stating the conditions the vehicle is reg under.

Green slip in NSW for an RX7: $435, rego: $285.

If you can find a car with CAMS rally rego already it is better. A lot of imports will require extensive mods even to get CAMS rego. Don't believe that all race/rally cars can be CAMS rego'ed. It just aint that simple anymore. They have clamped down hard on rorts of years ago.

Also with CAMS rego you are only allowed to use the car for to and from CAMS events, prep for event, Emergency repairs to and from Mechanic. Any CAMS event has to have the CAMS event number recorded in the cars CAMS log book. No log book or CAMS event number, technically unregistered car.

std track days are not covered. With the AASA ( CAMS alternative ) becoming more attractive with lower event fees, CAMS rego is becoming less and less attractive.

MX5 reps good value. Plenty of track MX's on my105.com.au all the time.

cheers

troy

DRMAT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Black Magic MkV Golf
a VL/VB commodore will be an absoloute PIG on a track and would reconmend an import of some type (S13,R32 skyline,EVO) strip it compleatly out and not have as much "care" to take.

Haha you'd think that... but my tyre guy here in Melb has a VK (i think, maybe earlier) dedicated track car with a stock V8 and just really well sorted suspension and he kills Skylines etc at track days. Wish i could find the vid from one of the Skyline Club days at Winton... he's passing everything and the guy filming it is saying it must be a worked V8 or supercharged or something etc etc. All it is is a very well sorted handling and stopping car with a decent driver.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I laughed at first about the Dunnydore comment as well, mainly because a used VL Commodore we considered for Mrs Lima back in the day is still the worst car I've ever driven, haha.

But, they would weigh stuff all and there'd be heaps of people able to build a bloody strong engine, so if you can get over the bogan factor it might not be as dumb a suggestion as first thought. Plus, no matter what anyone says, the sound of a V8 at full noise is almost impossible to beat.

JTW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
R32
I laughed at first about the Dunnydore comment as well, mainly because a used VL Commodore we considered for Mrs Lima back in the day is still the worst car I've ever driven, haha.

But, they would weigh stuff all and there'd be heaps of people able to build a bloody strong engine, so if you can get over the bogan factor it might not be as dumb a suggestion as first thought. Plus, no matter what anyone says, the sound of a V8 at full noise is almost impossible to beat.

true, i just thought there might be a lack of feel through the chassis or somthing, i allways looked at them as just being KILLER 1/4 mile type of cars.
alot of power to be made with them. pair'd with some slicks and some very low 1/4 mile time's.. just don't stand out to be a good "handling" built car.