GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

RedGTI34

Passed Driver's Ed
According to Jayro and everything I've read - clip the blue wire to the ACC lead to power the fakra adapter.

so, if we have this fakra adapter

what we can do with blue wire??? i thing it was a ground.

Jayro

Old Newbie
For kipilidid

For kipilidisHi see the attached photo it shows the Connecter from the VW Quadlock to the block connecter which fits in the head unit.
It has 3 free wires.(you can only make out one in this pic)
a) The blue one is a 12v supply for arial adapters and arial line amplifiers only
b) the pinkish one you can just see on the attached picture is for a dimming circuit (see mrx's post on this)
c) a brownish one is for the rear view camera (and we are not clear on its operational function yet)
So the Blue free wire is the arial auxiliary connector and it gives out +12v when the unit is on
For the full pin out functions see the post on p51

Attachments

• Whats in the Box.jpg
    Whats in the Box.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,008
Last edited:

Jayro

Old Newbie
Head Unit Pin Outs

This is the head unit connection layout copy and save it it cannot be any clearer
Note that the blue wire is arial auxilary and not acc

Attachments

• Head unit pin out.jpg
    Head unit pin out.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,307
Last edited:

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
For kipilidisHi see the attached photo it shows the Connecter from the VW Quadlock to the block connecter which fits in the head unit.
It has 3 free wires.(you can only make out one in this pic)
a) The blue one is a 12v supply for arial adapters and arial line amplifiers only
b) the pinkish one you can just see on the attached picture is for a dimming circuit (see mrx's post on this)
c) a brownish one is for the rear view camera (and we are not clear on its operational function yet)
So the Blue free wire is the acc connector and it gives out +12v when the unit is on
For the full pin out functions see the post on p51

I don't know if yours is different, but mine has:

a) A Blue wire (p-cont) that supplys 12V whenever the headunit is on. Traditionally this is used for supplying power to an electric aerial or the turn on signal for an external power amplifier (sub woofer amp) etc. Only the turn on signal, not the main source of power - it wouldn't be able to supply enough current for that. There is no reason you couldn't use it to power you aerial amplifier as the current drawn by that would be small.

b) A Pink (illum) wire. Should have no/a very small voltage on it. If you connect it to ground the button lighting will turn off, if you connect it to 12V the buttons will illuminate at maximum brightness. If you connect it to anything between 0 & 12V the brightness will vary accordingly.

c) A Red (ACC) wire. I have not measured this one as I had no need for it, but traditionally this would have no/a small voltage on it. In most cars, where you have an Off, Accessory, On & Start position on your ignition key you would connect this to a source of 12V that is only present when the key is in the accessory position. Then the radio comes on whenever the key is turned to the accessory position and beyond. (ie. it is the turn on signal for the headunit). In the golf there is no accessory position, and the information is obtained from the canbus anyway, so it's a mystery to me why they've brought it out.

d) In my wiring loom, the brown wire was already connected to earth. (A bit naughty). You are supposed to connect this to the handbrake, so that you can only watch DVD's while the handbrake is engaged (ie. can't watch movies while you're supposed to be driving). This wire has nothing to do with the rear view camera. The sensing of reverse for the camera is done through the canbus. The unit automatically switches to the camera when reverse gear is engaged, but only if you actually have a camera connected to the camera video input.

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
Ok - suppose it did short something (knowing my luck, it did), How do I fix that? I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back and forth.

I'm guessing since the illum and p-con wires are just floating that perhaps they hit something and shorted out? How would I fix that? when I tapped the acc wire to the illum wire, it turned the lights off. Thoughts?

If you did short something out (most likely the p-cont wire to the chassis of the head unit) then, assuming they had the forsight to put fuseable links on the canbus board, you have probably blown one of these. What are your surface mount soldering skills like? It also looks like (from Ylian's pictures) that you have to pull the whole thing apart to get at the canbus board. If there aren't any fuseable links, then you're probably up for a new canbus board.

I can understand Waywell's reluctance to fix problems like this at their cost. Assuming they test every unit before it leaves the factory, then they would be drawing the conclusion that this kind of fault is likely to be due to shorting while installing the unit.

Oskar

Ready to race!
Yes for inside the box, and the details of what is supplied for the CANBUS upgrade and what is involved
The right angles adapter is for the gps antenna connection, and the two scews were the dvd transit screws. The fakra connecter was the reducer from 2 to 1

Hi Guys

This is all little letters and right angles and lines to me

But here are the full wiring diagrams

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8d70668d5866b1b1b4a9

Regarding the problem they are unsure and asked for a video, I don't see how that will help.

mrx

Connoisseur
Car(s)
2007 CW Golf GTI 5dr
Man, Joe, you just keep on giving! The word legend springs to mind! :bow:

Just had a quick look so far, but the ACC wire is as I thought - a couple of posts up. Also there is a USB port (I knew there would be!) - J6 on the main board. I'm tempted to open it up to connect a USB memory stick, but I'm almost certain it would only work under the Windows CE (GPS) side of things. I'd really like to be able to use it to store music.

Now all we need is the source code for the main processor... :drool: Just kidding, a circuit diagram is one thing, but giving away the source code, that'd just be crazy!

kv12

Ready to race!
Hi I have been working with your skin and have it working all ok, but find it a wee bit too sophistocated for my needs, so i have dropped back to the default skin and I have tried to incorporate some bits that I could do with, ie the loading screen, and i have dropped in your syst text file, So far so good.
Where I am having a difficulty is getting that lovely rns 3d 510 cursor on the default skin.
I want to use it on the VW green day and night scemes which I have working fine, albeit with the standard cursor in the default skin.
Any chance of a "Howto "exchange the standard cursor in the default skin for the rns 510 3d one please.

There's a script embedded in the GJ skin which enables the RNS510 3D cursor to appear on the map. There might be a way to transfer the script to the default skin but I need some time to figure out how to intergrate it.

Nonetheless the The Color Schemes, The Loading screens and 2D RNS510 cursor works with any skin.

The VW themed GJ skin is about to get even more functions and graphics. here's a preview of the Full screen speedo/multifunction screen. All the graphics were custom made to match the WD6050, this screen shows no CF because I made 2 new backdrops options to this screen I have matte black shown right now, CF and Brushed Alum. is also avail.

buckets

Ready to race!
You guys are awesome

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

When my Waywell gets here, I will have to pm you and get all these customisations

bazzle

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MY08 R32 Silver 3dr
[B said:
O
Tell Fish Lee he is getting a bad name and sales will go down if he does not help us.

Fish Lee NEVER answered my last list of ISSUES. :mad:

I can not see why I should be recommending him.
I have sent people over to OSCAR now..:thumbsup:

Bazzle

buckets

Ready to race!
Have done the same Bazzle, and he keeps showing he's worth whatever business we can direct his way!:thumbsup:

Jayro

Old Newbie
An attempt to clear up the Antenna issue

Attached is some detail on the issue of having two Antenna tails (Fakra Connecters) One is white coloured and the other Brownish.
The origional head unit sends +12v up both of them to power an inline amplifier to boost the signal, but according to the VW diags for our car the Golf MK5 and variants of it with a roof top whip arial only the rear window antenna is amplified.
Waywell unit (MK 1 at least)
mrx has positively confirmed that the waywell MK 1 unit has +12 v on the centre pin of the iso arial connector.
So this would imply 2 choices using the Waywell supplied iso to Fakra adapter.
a) use the brownish socket, and get non amplified AM/FM from the roof top whip antenna, or,
b) use the white socket and get amplified FM only from the rear window antenna.

Using a twin (powered Fakra adapter) which does not seem to blend the two antennas (which I have), I would assume is pointless as it only gives you the same 2 choices, unless that little tin box is boosting the signal.
I have to check this on the brownish connector which I will do as soon as my right angle adapters arrive.
For those with the Sharks Fin anntenas I cannot comment as I do not have one. ( I tried one on a Passat last year and it was crap)
I cannot get the attachement on so I will try in the next post