GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

W6050 only this thread

buckets

Ready to race!
I installed the unit yesterday, looks really cool!

The microphone is really bad, if someone is going to install another mic please make a tutorial of it, i don't know how to exactly...

Cheers

Congrats Melvin, I'm tracking mine through China as we speak! Looking forward to getting it early this week.

What are your initial impressions? Was it as easy to fit as the DIY threads indicate?

Melvin

Dutchman
Car(s)
Golf V
Thx Buckets,
My first impression is that the unit looks really cool. Everything works good altough my radio stutter sometimes but maybe that's a reception problem. The install of the unit itself was easy but i installed my subwoofer too and that was a lot of work. (Pulling wires through firewall and both sides of the car)
Sound quality is good.
Igo8 works good.
And the Ipod function works also good, it only shows the title name of the song.

:)

-edit-
For deassembling the top of the dash I always use a knife with some tape around it, so I don't damage it. Ofcourse the best is the plastic tools they sell but I don't have them lol

Jayro

Old Newbie
For kv12, rns 510 3d cursor

Hi I have been working with your skin and have it working all ok, but find it a wee bit too sophistocated for my needs, so i have dropped back to the default skin and I have tried to incorporate some bits that I could do with, ie the loading screen, and i have dropped in your syst text file, So far so good.
Where I am having a difficulty is getting that lovely rns 3d 510 cursor on the default skin.
I want to use it on the VW green day and night scemes which I have working fine, albeit with the standard cursor in the default skin.
Any chance of a "Howto "exchange the standard cursor in the default skin for the rns 510 3d one please.

RedGTI34

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I took the unit out and put the factory one back in to see if the lights would do the same thing with the factory unit - nope! The factory unit works fine. I have now taken out the wd6050 completely because I do not want it to sit there all day and night when I'm not driving and drain my battery because the lights won't turn off. Funny thing, when I turn the lights on (from auto to ON) the lights on the unit turn off. Something must be wrong with it. I reset everything, I checked everything and nothing seems to work. If you guys have any suggestions, other than sending it back, I'm all ears...I've now taken apart my dash 5 times, so I'm an old pro!

I guess one good thing I got out of this experience is that my ipod adapter works with my factory headunit...so it's not a complete loss as of yet...

RedGTI34

Passed Driver's Ed
Short?

Ok - suppose it did short something (knowing my luck, it did), How do I fix that? I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back and forth.

I'm guessing since the illum and p-con wires are just floating that perhaps they hit something and shorted out? How would I fix that? when I tapped the acc wire to the illum wire, it turned the lights off. Thoughts?

Hi why your light button function should switch is weird to say the least, maybe it is some sort of cycle with the on/off switch.
Did you try a system reset back to factory settings
Try various permatations, ie, radio off> ignition on,> then radio on.
If you did not break any connections or short anything (have you made sure that adaper box is not shortening something ( like the tails from the connector block ?) then as you say "WTF". As this is a CanBus function then if it is a fault then that is where it lies.
Also as this unit has been updated then perhaps members would ID their headunit as a Mk 1 or MK 2 so we know whats what.
For RedGT134 sorry got it wrong at the top

Jayro

Old Newbie
For Redgt134

Did you try untaping the Blue fakra connecter wire from the Blue acc wire from the head unit ? if you did, did it correct itself ?.
Please go to page 51 and check the wiring pin outs against the diags posted there, do they ring through as they are supposed to ?
As the headunit functions are controlled by the Can Bus, without being able to signal it (with an emulator or computer signal), there is no way to test it "off car" and as we dont have a wiring diag for inside the unit we are snookered.
Oskar if you read this can you see if we can get a wiring diagram for these units so we can get them fixed locally.
Also please ask what is supplied for the Can Bus upgrade and what is involved as this may be more cost effective than shipping units back and forward at our exspense to China.
Tell Fish Lee he is getting a bad name and sales will go down if he does not help us.

RedGTI34

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah - I tried that too. Everything "looks" right as far as I can tell. It was working fine since I got it, but just yesterday the lighting "switched" and is now opposite. I clipped the fakra to each wire separately, and it only worked with the ACC wire. There was no "boost" with the illum or the p-con. I'm assuming both of those have shorted out. It that easy to fix, or is it something that an experienced electronics person will have to do? I can plug and play, but that's about it...

Did you try untaping the Blue fakra connecter wire from the Blue acc wire from the head unit ? if you did, did it correct itself ?.
Please go to page 51 and check the wiring pin outs against the diags posted there, do they ring through as they are supposed to ?
As the headunit functions are controlled by the Can Bus, without being able to signal it (with an emulator or computer signal), there is no way to test it "off car" and as we dont have a wiring diag for inside the unit we are snookered.
Oskar if you read this can you see if we can get a wiring diagram for these units so we can get them fixed locally.
Also please ask what is supplied for the Can Bus upgrade and what is involved as this may be more cost effective than shipping units back and forward at our exspense to China.
Tell Fish Lee he is getting a bad name and sales will go down if he does not help us.

Oskar

Ready to race!

Ill bring this to the factory engineer but can you please sum it up for me?
1/ Was working Okay
2/. Installed Right angle adaptor at Fakra and removed 2 screws
3/. Lights now go off when car is on and on when car is off?

Is that Basically it ?

You need a wiring diagram for Inside the Box?

audiphile

Old Man
1/ Was working Okay

Is that Basically it ?

Oskar - which factory wire to connect the radio ACC wire to?

Jayro

Old Newbie
For Oskar

1/ Was working Okay

Is that Basically it ?

Yes for inside the box, and the details of what is supplied for the CANBUS upgrade and what is involved
The right angles adapter is for the gps antenna connection, and the two scews were the dvd transit screws. The fakra connecter was the reducer from 2 to 1

Last edited:

buckets

Ready to race!
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it anyway.

You said earlier that you turned the headlights from "auto to on". What happens when you turn the switch to "off"?

kpilidis

Passed Driver's Ed
When you go in, you will find that one Fakra connection is a brown colour, and the other is white.
Depending on your vehicle fit and location country wise you will have a roof top antenna whip arial which is passive and provides AM and FM albeit a weak signal. This comes in on the brown coloured connecter.

If you have a sharks fin then it is possible you have the Digiatal Radio fit and your roof antenna signal is amplified, and a phone and GPS connecter is also available from other connecters present. ( I have no experiance of this and cannot comment)

The white connecter is from a built in antenna in the rear window (which is FM only), and it is amplified, and so needs the 12v feed provided by hooking up that blue wire to the blue wire coming out the head unit.

The adapter (when the blue wire is hooked up) provides 12v to both Fakra connecters. It also normally has one of the sockets marked with a sticker saying that it has to be connected to the white socket.
When following this directive both Bazzle and myself have found that this gives only an FM signal to the head unit (which is correct as the rear window only provides FM) and so he used the brown connecter to get AM and FM (from the roof antenna), I continue to use the white connecter and get only FM.
My signal performance is about 95% of the VW performance from an rcd 300
One thing when you go in, can you check if the head unit gives out 12v on the centre pin of the arial input socket please

I

so, if we have this fakra adapter

what we can do with blue wire??? i thing it was a ground.