GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise Pipe Delete/Plug Mod DIY

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
He doesnt have a patent or anything on them..He's been absent for a while.

Id say go for it. Let me know what the shops say. If you can produce a good quality and at a reasonable price, Im sure people will buy.

I agree. I'd certainly be down to buy one if you come up with a reasonable solution.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
I will try to get over to a couple shops this or next week. I should have some preliminary number next friday.

ocz800

Car(s)
'07 CW Mkv
Maybe this:

mcmastercarr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#expansion-test-plugs/=dr4sl7

Bolt-Tight High-Pressure Test Plugs

Plate: Zinc-plated steel
Stem: Zinc-plated steel
Nut: Zinc-plated steel
Seal: Neoprene
Temperature Range: -20° to +225° F

At most looks like you can add a 25 cent wing nut and have a product.

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
those or ones very similar have been tried in the past with very mixed results.

the problem is the ID of the noise pipe outlet is a little less than 1.32" this places it right between the 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" plugs. the 1/1/4 plug most likely would not put ample pressure on the pipe to hold it under boost and can likely pop out. the 1/1/2" plug is 1.33 at its smallest and would likely require trimming and still could pop out. the main culprit i can see for them popping out is due to the plastic pipe itself. plus the top plate will extend past the od of the noise pope and would not allow the assempbly to be reattached.

the "raven" plug has a single o-ring for the seal and uses 4 knurled set screws that cut into the plastic to hold it in place so it wont back out. the plug is also designed so it can be put in and the noise pipe can be reinstalled over it so you would not know its there unless you pulled the pipe.

you can certainly try one of these and let us know how well if at all it works.

on a seperate note I need someone with a TSI plug to pull theirs and take some good quality photos and get exact measurments please. I need to see just how the TSI style plug differs from the FSI version. that way I can get the most accurate prices on reproducing these for both engines.

measurements i will need are
top ring outside diameter
top ring thickness
top section depth
lower section depth measured from bottom of top ring
lower section diameter
height from bottom to o-ring channel
o-ring channel depth
and o-ring channel thickness.

i know it seems like a lot but I want to make sure that this plug if cost effective will fit perfectly and not pop out.

hobbes

Ready to race!
I replaced this plug with the Tiguan pipe, so I probably could dig it out of the garage to get you measurements. I have a digital caliper at work, so I can get you pretty accurate measurements. I'll let you know if I can find it lol.

16whitemk7

Another Addict
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE 6mt
Kinda sad that this Raven guy dropped off the radar. I was really looking into getting this plug.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
measurements i will need are
top ring outside diameter
top ring thickness
top section depth
lower section depth measured from bottom of top ring
lower section diameter
height from bottom to o-ring channel
o-ring channel depth
and o-ring channel thickness.

i know it seems like a lot but I want to make sure that this plug if cost effective will fit perfectly and not pop out.

You don't need to copy his design, he didn't do anything magical. There is a very standard way of using o-rings to make pressure tight seals. The tolerances are tight but not critical. This is a good place to start:

http://www.parker.com/literature/ORD 5700 Parker_O-Ring_Handbook.pdf

Cost to reproduce is cheap. You'd need a rod of aluminum to turn down on the lathe, probably less than $2 per piece of raw aluminum if you bought enough. The O-ring might be the most expensive part, maybe $3-4 each depending on quality/source. Then its about 10 minutes of lathe time and 10 minutes for milling/tapping the threaded holes. Any experienced machined could easily can make three pieces an hour at ~$5 raw material cost per piece.

Accounting for cost of tools and time, Raven's price wasn't bad at all. It just boils down to how you value the time it takes.

hobbes

Ready to race!
And honestly, for the TSI, since you have to remove the metal sleeve in the pipe to use this delete, it's not worth the hassle. That sleeve was the single most difficult job I've ever done while working on this car. If I had the option from the beginning to do this plug or buy a tiguan pipe, I'd buy the tiguan pipe hands down.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
And honestly, for the TSI, since you have to remove the metal sleeve in the pipe to use this delete, it's not worth the hassle. That sleeve was the single most difficult job I've ever done while working on this car. If I had the option from the beginning to do this plug or buy a tiguan pipe, I'd buy the tiguan pipe hands down.

LOL TSI fail

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
You don't need to copy his design, he didn't do anything magical. There is a very standard way of using o-rings to make pressure tight seals. The tolerances are tight but not critical. This is a good place to start:

thanks for the info.

I wasnt sure if there was any significant difference in the plug for an FSI and the TSI. If the plug itself is the same and only a matter of removal of the ring in the TSI pipe then I will just move forward on getting prices to produce the one plug and we can go from there.

i might also see if i can get my hands on a TSI pipe with the ring intact and see if there is a way to produce a plug that does not require the removal of this ring.

hobbes

Ready to race!
thanks for the info.

I wasnt sure if there was any significant difference in the plug for an FSI and the TSI. If the plug itself is the same and only a matter of removal of the ring in the TSI pipe then I will just move forward on getting prices to produce the one plug and we can go from there.

i might also see if i can get my hands on a TSI pipe with the ring intact and see if there is a way to produce a plug that does not require the removal of this ring.

Raven initially made plugs that fit the ring, but a couple users reported that the plug popped off along with the ring. A dented hood isn't something I'd risk for the sake of ease of installation.

hobbes

Ready to race!
top ring outside diameter - 37.04mm
top ring thickness - 1.06mm
top section depth - 7.94mm
lower section depth measured from bottom of top ring - 20.25mm
lower section diameter - 31.48mm
height from bottom to o-ring channel - 3.85mm
o-ring channel depth - 2.95mm
secondary o-ring channel depth - 1.83mm
o-ring channel thickness - 4.14mm
secondary o-ring channel thickness - 1.07

There were two o-rings on mine. The large one is 26mm inner diameter and 4mm thick. The small one is 18mm diameter and 1.5mm thick.

Let me know if you any other info.

Edit: the secondary o-ring channel is the thin ring inside the o-ring channel that isn't as deep as the main channel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-25 at 1.15.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-25 at 1.15.39 PM.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

porpoise hork

Ready to race!
Raven initially made plugs that fit the ring, but a couple users reported that the plug popped off along with the ring. A dented hood isn't something I'd risk for the sake of ease of installation.

[/QUOTE]

thanks for getting me the measurments. :thumbsup:

I was reading through the thread and saw those reports from the TSI plug. I have to agree with you, yes its somehting I would rather avoid happening. So im just going to move forward with the FSI plug for now.