GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inaccurate speedometer.

kikkovitch

I am just wondering if this just happens to me but the speedometer in my car is inaccurate if you compared it to the speed shown by the external GPS. For example, the speedometer reading is showing that i am going 80mph while that in GPS is showing only 75mph and the difference gets bigger as i go faster. I have used the same GPS in other cars and the difference was only like 1 or 2mph and it did not get bigger as i go faster.
I have brought my car to a dealership to get it fixed and they said they have reset the inboard computer but it have not made any difference. Is it supposed to be that way? Please help!
My car is 06 GTI and the external GPS i am using is the common Garmin GPS. Thank you.

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
This is normal. My speedo isn't accurate either, but it's in the opposite direction. When my speedo says 75 I'm actually going 80. It's actually a bit of a problem, it's going to get me speeding tickets. I wish mine was inaccurate in the other direction like yours...

Anybody know if you can adjust this via VAG-COM?

Jtrem

Pro TeaBagger
Car(s)
'06 Gti
This is normal. My speedo isn't accurate either, but it's in the opposite direction. When my speedo says 75 I'm actually going 80. It's actually a bit of a problem, it's going to get me speeding tickets. I wish mine was inaccurate in the other direction like yours...

Anybody know if you can adjust this via VAG-COM?

Mine is just like the OP's my speedo is 5mph faster. Idk if Vag Com can correct it. I have one so I guess Ill look into it.

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
I have an 06 as well and mine shows that i go 5mph faster as well.. wonder if there is a fix..

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I brought it up to my dealer too and they said my GPS was wrong and the speedo works the way it should.

I hate dealers.

mk5gtiguy

Pwaffle Champion
dealers suck ass. They are all horrible!

kikkovitch

But how come mine is lower then? I tried going 100 while actually i was only going about 93. And yea it indicated 80 while the GPS is only showing 75mph. It's really bothering me.

Graubart

Ready to race!
I have this issue on my 07. There is a TSB on it, but it won't fix it completely. It is curious that the correct info is available from the computer (that is why your odometer is probably right on) but the speedo takes its input from another source. VW finally fixed the problem on the 08's but declined to make a retrofix. Your GPS is correct and your dealer is a jerk. I mount my Garmin where I can easily see it and put it in monitor mode so I can easily see the speed and go by that.

gtiinsc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Acura TL SH.AWD
my wifes '09 speedo is wrong too. it reads too low just like many have stated here.

in my tl the gps speed and speedo match up perfect.

Viking445

Souless Day Walkin Ginger
Why question is this. If the speedo is reading higher than your actual speed then wont the odometer read that you have more miles on your car than you actually do?

If thats the case then this is a big pile of horse shite!