GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Broken wires in hatch wiring harness - Entire hatch dead

b_griggs1

Autocross Whore
Car(s)
06 CW GTI PKG2 6MT
For the last few days, I have been getting bulb failure warnings for both reverse lights. At the same time, the hatch also stopped opening. I was hoping for some sort of bad ground and in a way I guess that's what I have.

I have had the car for 3 years this month and its nearly at 100k. Hatch has been used several times per day, every day. I fear that this is a bad design and that in time everyone will run into this issue. It appears that the angle it too extreme for the wires over time.

Anyone have experience with this area of the car? How hard is the harness to get to in the C pillar?

Thanks

slickvic

I scare other drivers
Perhaps the wiring was too short when your car was built. Looks like the wiring got pulled every time you opened the hatch. I wouldnt say this is bad design per se otherwise we would have other users reporting this same issue. This may just be be an isolated incident.

b_griggs1

Autocross Whore
Car(s)
06 CW GTI PKG2 6MT
Perhaps the wiring was too short when your car was built. Looks like the wiring got pulled every time you opened the hatch. I wouldnt say this is bad design per se otherwise we would have other users reporting this same issue. This may just be be an isolated incident.

There's plenty of slack in the harness. Wire doesn't break from being pulled either; it's weakened by bending, not pulling.

njohanss

Ready to race!

ven2s

Car(s)
2006 GTI
I just had this happen at 92000miles, so I'll get the harness replaced. My car is 10 years old and I expect things to start giving out, aggravating though that may be.