GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

O2 sensor

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
I've got a new ATP downpipe on the way and I'm a bit concerned about my fuel economy. (little late now huh?)

As I understand it, our cars have two sensors on the downpipe - one behind each cat. These sensors measure the difference in oxygen levels (and maybe other gasses) after each scrubber to make sure they're doing their job and keeping all of our trees green and happy.

Since I can't afford to get tuned just yet, I'm gonna have to trick the second little bastard with a spacer to thin the amount of passing exhaust.

So my question is: Is the fuel mixture a fluctuating ratio - dependent on the sensitive o2 sensor telling it just how lean or rich to inject? Or... is the o2 sensor simply a precautionary, passive device, letting the driver know that something must be wrong with the exhaust, and therefore just triggering a CEL? :iono:

TIA :biggrin:

07Noside

Banned
Its passive you'll have no ill effects but a light on your dash.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
Yeah emailed him today. Wayne ships em out for $38.

I'm curious how the sensors work though... if they're off/on, or if they effect the fuel ratio on the other end. I read somewhere that the code from a catless dp notes the car is running rich. I guess if the sensor is passive, it just thinks the car is running rich, but doesn't actually tell the injectors to compensate??

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
bump for answers and proof.

I'm still hearing people argue that the o2 WILL affect the air-fuel ratio :iono:

wannagofast

Mr. Badwrench
Car(s)
VW GTI
bump for answers and proof.

I'm still hearing people argue that the o2 WILL affect the air-fuel ratio :iono:

The first or front 02 sensor is the one that reads AFR. The angle block is for the second or rear 02 sensor. The second sensor is monitoring emissions.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
I think the front O2 sensor does in fact affect your AFR. My car is not driing correctly and I have a blown front O2. The tech at VW said that the car is burning rich, but threw a hissy fit regarding a dispute about warranty coverage before explaining how he came to that conclusion.

saucer

Leadfoot
Car(s)
08 GTI
And the 1st sensor is post-cat correct? Cause the 1st cat on the stock pipe is directly after the turbo...?

What sort of problems could this cause w/o a stage 2 tune? I'm really worried about throwing a new downpipe on with out some new software...

DarkstaR

dope freshhhhhhhhhhh
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
And the 1st sensor is post-cat correct? Cause the 1st cat on the stock pipe is directly after the turbo...?

What sort of problems could this cause w/o a stage 2 tune? I'm really worried about throwing a new downpipe on with out some new software...

fsi has 2 o2 sensors
1 right after the turbo
1 after the 2nd cat.

If you decide to run a downpipe without software or with GIAC then I would recommend getting a wayne angle block.