GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine lurching and loud pop

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
Hi all
I’m new here. About a month ago I bought a 2008 GTI FSI manual (first VW). Run down on the car:
-<130k miles
-Neuspeed intake
-Muffler delete
-Oil/coolant leak (coolant from hose connecting firewall to black plastic piece underneath rear cam chain cover)(oil leak still unknown)
-P0011 & P000a codes even tho I changed the n205 and cam follower

A couple of days ago driving around at low revs in 1st or 2nd gear the car lurched forward and back (making me look like an amateur driver learning stick). Ik it wasn’t due to my driving bc it felt like if I had mashed the pedal to the floor and then let off. This has only happened twice but today it happened again. This time, right after it happened while still rolling down the street and I free revved it and this happened:

https://youtu.be/-vVolx_DnwY

Would really appreciate some insight as to what’s going on and what can be done as it seems pretty serious

Thanks

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
They just do, sometimes people have issues when reinstalling the side cover and they break and then they get the codes you got. Did the Previous owner happen to do any work before it was sold. Just be grateful that Audi sells the rings separately because VW wants to sell you the whole side cover for about $700. Also take a look at the screen in the cover for debris that may prevent flow of oil.

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
They just do, sometimes people have issues when reinstalling the side cover and they break and then they get the codes you got. Did the Previous owner happen to do any work before it was sold. Just be grateful that Audi sells the rings separately because VW wants to sell you the whole side cover for about $700. Also take a look at the screen in the cover for debris that may prevent flow of oil.

Yes the previous owner had some work down to it. The head was removed so it must be that. I’ll check that little screen as well. I’m sure it’s clogged as I was getting low oil pressure warning messages on the dash shortly after I bought it due to a disgusting oil filter (it looked like they didn’t change the filter last time they changed the oil???) And definitely grateful for Audi :bow:

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
I didn’t mention this already but the car seems to be driving perfectly fine other than those two codes that like to take turns popping up every time I clear them and the oil/coolant leak.

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
Update:
I've replaced the 3 rings in the chain cover. I've been driving the car for 2 weeks now and I'm not getting a CEL/codes.
However I'm still getting the lurching and the tach jumping around but only while the car is warming up.
I've looked into the issue and the main consensus is either DV or PCV failing. But they're all getting codes and their engines are running alot worse. And the main BUT is their problems are persistent regardless of the engine temp (cold or running temp).
I also have Code 08581 (but no CEL) for coolant temp sensor causing the fans to stay on constantly.
I need advice on this as I'm still new to VAG and it's my first turbo. Thanks

Mjbmkv098

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti
It’s the engine speed sensor just replaced mine not to long ago didn’t have a cel for a month befor it turned on

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
It’s the engine speed sensor just replaced mine not to long ago didn’t have a cel for a month befor it turned on

But how does engine temp affect the speed sensor?

When I first get in and start the car, I can’t leave until the temp gauge or square in the middle, nice and warm. Otherwise if I don’t completely wait till it’s warmed up, guaranteed engine lurching and tach bouncing around going on and off throttle especially going or in second gear below 4K rpm.

Luca$

Car(s)
1986 Bertone X1/9
What codes are you getting now?

I don’t have any codes or CEL when using my Foxwell NT301. But I used my firend’s that works at a mechanic shop with the more advanced OBD2 scanners and it read code 08581. It’s for the coolant temp sensor.