GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Mk5... Help Needed

frost255

Hi bought a Mk5 GTi 6 months ago and just got a set of GTC GT-CX 18x8.5 et 45 matte black rims (they are a VMR look alike but a cheaper non replica set). Have 225/40/R18's on them now.

As the rim is wider than the 18x7.5 et 51 stock Pirelli rims, the cars stock suspension height does look more noticable now (despite it being MY08 which apparently ive read they are 10mm lower than the older Mk5 years). However I still want to lower the car and thinking about Fk streetline coilovers (35- 55mm) for the price or H & R sport lowering kit (25-35mm I think)

Can anyone help me understand if either of these lowering options will cause rubbing in combination with the GTC rims on the car currently? I dont need super low nor want racetrack handling but just want the car lowered 20-30mm just for looks - the coilovers seem to have a minimum lowering of 35mm which makes me believe they would definitley cause rubbing so maybe the H & R springs are the way to go?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for a retard like me new to modifiying cars

cheers

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
Should be fine with both of those. At 55mm you may need to do the "fender screw mod" in front. No issues in the rear.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Here is a chart that forum members made up back when MKV was a current model.
It should help