GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Pump / Vagcom Programming Problem

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I'm still new to the list, so this is probably a dumb question that everyone knows how to do but me ....

Today I replaced the ABS Pump / Controller in my 2009 GTI (6spd). Started by scanning the entire car (almost every system had a fault of some kind), and resetting every fault that I could. Got it down to only 4 or 5 systems with problems. Copied the ABS long code, replaced the pump, and re-entered long code into to replacement pump - which was successfully accepted after appending two extra zeros (It's a 2011 pump going into a 2009 GTI, but with similar part numbers). At his point I still have various dash light faults for ABS, Traction, and Brake.

So far have bled the brake system twice (AllData says might have to do it 5 times) and have a "reasonable" pedal. Also have run the Brake system test which exercises the ABS Pump at each wheel, with and without pedal pressure, per the diagnostic instructions. Seems to run through the sequence OK.

My problem (at least the most obvious one) is that I can't get the long coding for ABS Module to "stick". Re-entered it 5 or more times, each time it is "accepted" and seems to remain through several tests, fault resets, etc. But then (maybe after cycling the car's power, or other random actions) I take a look back at the Code section and find that it has reset back to all ZEROS.

Note - At this point the car is still up on stands and has not been driven.

So my question: How do I get the ABS Pump / Controller long code to "stick" and not reset itself to all ZERO's??? Must be some trick designed to screw with new guys!

Thanks ..... Fred

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Fred, sent you pm. You just need to drive the car after the tests and the coding will stay. Don't turn off the key. All the lights should go out as well.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Thanks for the feedback. Will bleed the system a couple more times, then follow your suggestion and report back to the list.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
ABS Pump Controller Replaced in 2009 GTI

Happy to report the replacement of ABS Pump & Controller in my 2009 GTI (with a 2011 used pump) was successful. Here are a few highlights for those attempting the job. Descriptions assume some mechanical experience:

1. You must have Ross Tech Vagcom system. Even more important, try to find someone that actually knows how to use it (my biggest problem).
  2. Find a replacement pump in clean condition with all 6 ports plugged - boneyards appear to simply use a side cutter, which works well to pinch lines and keep everything sealed.
  3. Use Vagcom to read the long code from your old ABS pump - write it down and also Ctrl-C copy it into the PC.
  4. Get the car up on stands. Remove wheels.
  5. Use a 2x4 board to keep some pressure on the brake pedal - slide seat forward to hold it - should keep brake reservoir from emptying when lines are disconnected.
  6. Remove GTI sound pipe & air intake pipe above the ABS pump. Loosen 6 lines, electrical connector, and 1 mounting bolt. Work pump into vertical position to remove three T-30 bottom bolts to separate pump from bottom mounting plate. It's a pain - don't bend any of the lines. Others may suggest removal of more surrounding stuff to make access easier. Put in new pump in reverse order. Yes - it will take time.
  7. Bleed brakes - I did 2 rounds with a buddy working the pedal, then another round with a vacuum bleeder.
  8. Re-enter old long code into the new pump. At suggestion of Zrickety (thanks) had to add two extra zeros at end of code to get it accepted.
  9. I ran the multi-step ABS system test, which works each wheel, with instructions to press, then release brake pedal. Figured it would help insure all air was out of the pump - not sure if it's really necessary to do, though. Did that before final vacuum bleed.
  10. You must drive the car to get the code to "stick" in the ABS controller - mine kept resetting back to all zeros.
  11. But had most trouble (my inexperience) in that 4 related system faults also caused the ABS long code to reset to zeros. These included steering angle sensor, brake pressure sensor, lateral acceleration sensor and one other I can't remember right now.
  12. Adapting / teaching these related sensor inputs must be done - which really benefits from someone with previous Vagcom experience. You must enter the security code for each subsystem, successfully adapt/teach the sensor to clear its fault code. Then on to the next. Once all brake system fault codes are gone, the long code finally "stuck" and dash ABS, Traction, and red Brake lights were out!

In summary - I'm new to VW systems - replacing the mechanical pump was annoying only due to the tight physical location. Brake bleeding was as expected. But the coding was certainly a learning experience! You must figure out how to eliminate / adapt all related brake subsystem faults before the ABS Pump long coding will actually be remembered and dash lights are eliminated.

Without help of a mechanic friend during the final stage, it would have taken me a long time to figure out how to get the 4 or 5 subsystem faults resolved. It still took a fair amount of time - guess that's why Dealers want so much money to do the job!!

Put about 40 miles on the car this afternoon, with several restarts. All is OK - well everything EXCEPT for a Sec Air Injection Flow/Pressure Sensor Fault that's set the MIL - but after all, it's a VW. If the Check Engine Light isn't on, the battery is probably dead. Sigh - Something to tackle another day.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Awesome!! I had heard from others who did this, thanks for posting your success!

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Looking at my notes, thought I'd add a last bit of information for the archives which might be of some use to anyone trying to install a replacement MkV GTI ABS Pump in the future:

• My original pump in 2009 GTI was: Sticker Label 1K0 614 517 BD ; hardware # in vagcom 1K0 907 379 AD
  • Replaced with pump from 2011 GTI: Sticker Label 1K0 614 517 CT ; hardware # in vagcom 1K0 907 379 BG
  • My original pump coding was: 113B600D492500FC880C06ED921C004130
  • But, vagcom would only accept that code for new pump when two zeros were added to the end (ie: 413000)
Note - I only post this long code as a reference - The code for your car and options might be different. Be sure to record it before pulling the old pump.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Great info. I've heard the VIN is factored into the coding but this is a good reference.

Mohdsomji

Hello,
Can anyone help to Reset the code of an used ABS control module? I purchased one used for my 2009 GTI the same part number but the only problem I can't reset the code to reprogram it. help me out please

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Decided to also re-post my recent reply here, as it will add to previous information above and may assist Mohdsomji.

Completing the coding and sensor adaptation when replacing an ABS Control Module can be a challenge - here is the Ross-Tech link describing the brake electronics control module coding and 4 sub-system Adaptation procedures. They include the Steering Angle ; Lateral Acceleration ; Brake Pressure ; and Longitudinal Acceleration sensors. There is also a System Function test which can be run.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)
If link is broken, try: http://tinyurl.com/RossTechABS

And - while it's been mentioned before - it's critically important (before messing with any VW module coding) to use the Ross Tech VSDS software to Auto Scan and save your car's complete information. I have no idea how the ABS Module Long Coding is created (Zrickety wonders if the car's VIN may be factored into it), thus it's best to capture your coding before removing the old Module.

Last edited:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I didn't have to drive mine to get it to work, but the car was started as I ran through the adaptations for everything, it stuck when everything was completed successfully and turned off. Also I made sure the system was super well bled before hand with a Motive Power bleeder from Amazon. I didnt even do the bleed procedure in abs too tedious.

CASA1985

Hi Fred,

Just wanted to find out whether you have had any problems since the install or is everything working the way it should with the MKVI unit?

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Hi Fred,

Just wanted to find out whether you have had any problems since the install or is everything working the way it should with the MKVI unit?

Yep - Everything continues to work perfectly. It's nice driving a car without a dash full of warning lights!

..... Fred

Nyboy07

Gray Fox
Car(s)
UG MKV
I'm about to replace mine with a newer 2011 ABS module. Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this. It's going to be a big help.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I'm about to replace mine with a newer 2011 ABS module. Just wanted to say thanks for posting all this. It's going to be a big help.

Good luck with the replacement! Add any new tips you discover to the thread and let us know the outcome. Be careful not to bend any of the brake lines when trying to get the pump assembly out / in!

Nyboy07

Gray Fox
Car(s)
UG MKV
Good luck with the replacement! Add any new tips you discover to the thread and let us know the outcome. Be careful not to bend any of the brake lines when trying to get the pump assembly out / in!

Just finished! So far everything looks like it stuck. Man you were right about the sensor adaptation being challenging but after fighting through it its all good. Thanks again for tbe write up it was a tremendous help! :thumbsup: