GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

handbrake loosening up

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
About 2 months ago I adjusted my handbrake and everything was nice and tight,4 clicks and it would hold firm. But it seems to be loosening up quite a bit as it now takes 11 clicks to hold. Is this just my brakes wearing down or do you think my nut loosened up?

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
I followed the diy the first time, I'm just surprised they got sloppy again so fast. How long should they stay adjusted?

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
Just took it apart again and the drivers side cable is way longer than the passenger side. Looks like the adjuster nut is maxed out. It's supposed to look like this- but looks like this \.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
The cable gets stretched out if you regularly pull the handbrake too tight. Usually 4 clicks is too stiff if you're parked on somewhat level ground. 3 clicks is fine. If you need more than that, park it in gear instead and let the transmission hold the car. It's a bad habit to rely on the handbrake when you're parking on a hill anyway because if you park the brakes hot, many times they let go once they cool down. You should also always turn the wheels when you park on a hill so that if the car rolls back, the tire will hit the curb and stop it. Be gentle with your hand brake and you can prevent this from happening. The same goes with the clutch and engine. Gear changes at 2,500 will make the engine last longer. Don't hold the clutch in at stoplights, shift to neutral. When you begin moving from a dead stop feather the clutch, not the throttle. Once the clutch is engaged, then press the accelerator more. Don't let the clutch up at the same time you put the accelerator down or else you'll burn your clutch out quicker.

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
Funny I knew all that at one time, but I guess your develop some bad habits. Lol
I've never parked my car in gear. But why would only the driver side cable stretch? do you think they will even back out eventually?

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
I'm not sure why only one side would stretch. I guess that shows the quality of materials used in that cable! It's just like a motorcycle chain. The tighter you make it, the quicker it stretches and they always stretch to the same tension anyway. So it's better to just leave it a little loose.

mcpot

Slave to speed
Car(s)
07 GTI
Super late update on this, but my driver side cables housing tube split and rusted up.
Going to replace when spring makes its way in.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes.
^^ Thanks for the advise, just a little question
On the bold quoted above, you mean release the brake pedal, the hand brake or both?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
STOP! Do not adjust the parking brake cable. The system is designed to be self adjusting. To adjust how the brake engages; get in your car, start it, press the brake pedal, release the parking brake. Then push the brake pedal as far as you can firmly, next push in the parking brake handle release button and hold it in, lift it as far as you can 2-3 times upward. Release the brakes. This will readjust the cable mechanism. If you have already adjust the cable yourself by other means you are SOL and have to undo the adjustment you have already made. If you think I am stupid ask someone with a bently manual or call a knowledge dealer (few and far between).

agree :thumbsup:

No need to ask a dealer. :23:

parad0x

Robotic Technotronic

Wow...thanks for this little tidbit of info. I was about 6+clicks before any tension. I'm now down to a 3-click grab since doing this adjustment. :thumbsup: