GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS-510 HDD replacement/SSD swap DIY

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
This is kind of old, but from what I know, it was never well documented. Well, it wasn't back in June 2010 when I first did it, but I haven't looked since. I offered to do 2 of them for some mates, so I figured I could post the DIY up now with some decent, and rather idiot proof instructions. It's not a difficult process at all. I undertook it based on vague directions, but all you really need to know is that you have to pretty much strip the whole unit down to access the HDD.

The access times are considerably better than the standard HDD. With a full 40GBs of albums and folders, it would scroll and navigate without delay. My unit has been running flawlessly for over the past year.

Before I start… I accept no responsibility if you end up with a non-working unit. If your unit is still under warranty, and you undertake this procedure, it will no longer be covered by that warranty. You've been warned. :)

Exploded Component Overview:

STEP 1

Make sure the area you work in is clear of dust. Have some soft foam padding ready for when you remove the screen. Avoid anything that creates lint.
  1. Remove 2 x T8 screws from top of unit
  2. Remove 2 x T10 screws from side of unit. There are only 4 of these T10 screws in the job. Don’t mix them up with your other T8 screws.
  3. Repeat step 2 for the other side.

STEP 2

Remove top cover plate by pulling up at point (A) and work the hinge at point (B).

STEP 3

Carefully drop screen down as shown. The screen is connected with data ribbon in 3 locations. Pull the beige ribbon locks outwards to release the ribbon. There is no need to disconnect the DVD drive ribbon (A). Move the screen in foam aside while you do the rest of the job.

STEP 4

1. Remove 2 x T8 screws from DVD drive mounting bracket. Aternatively, you could undo the 2 T8 screws that mount the DVD drive to the bracket.
  2. Remove the 1 x T8 screw which secures the HDD mounting bracket to the exterior cover.

STEP 5

Lift out the DVD drive, and flip it over to access the 2 ribbon locks. Unplug both ribbons as you did in Step 3.

STEP 6

Remove the 1 x T8 screw from the rear of the heatsink. Then remove the 2 x T8 screws which are down inside the heatsink. The two arrows in the picture highlight their location. This is one of the reasons behind the long reach T8 driver.

STEP 7

Remove these 3 x T8 screws from the rear of the heatsink. Then remove the 2 x T8 screws which are down inside the heatsink.

STEP 8

Drop down the rear cover plate in the same way you removed the top cover plate in Step 2. Disconnect the cable for the fan and remove the plate from the hinge.

STEP 9

1. Remove the 1 x T8 as indicated.
  2. Carefully lift the card (red highlight) in an upward direction. The card is plugged into the upper circuit board and may resist a little. See Step 10 to see what the card sits in. Just try to lift it evenly, and also pay attention to the opposite end of the card as is needs to be guided up between 2 metal prongs. These prongs can be seen in Step 11.

STEP 10

1. Remove the 3 x T8 screws from the board.
  2. Straighten the 2 tabs (as shown) in order to lift out the upper circuit board. Lift it out and pay attention to any places where it may catch on the existing frame. It needs to be done at a bit of an angle to clear the 4 screw tabs towards the rear of the left and right cover plates.

STEP 11

Once the upper circuit board is out of the way, you need to remove the 1 x T8 from the HDD mounting cover bracket. You can then carefully lift the HDD directly out of its plug in an upward direction.

STEP 12

Once removed, undo the 4 screws from the HDD mounting plate and replace it with your new drive. I’ve replaced this one with a 64GB 2.5” SSD IDE PATA MLC. Depending on your firmware version, this will either give you a 40GB music drive (2 partition firmware) or a 30GB music drive (with new 3 partition firmware). Remember to remove the jumper on your new SSD drive. You cannot insert the HDD with a jumper in place.

SSD drive specification

STEP 13

Reverse the procedure and you’re done. Double check all of the ribbon conenctions along the way. Plug it into your car, load your firmware+maps and check that everything is working as it should.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

benough

Torque to me
Car(s)
Golf GT Sport
Stellar, as always John.

You don't happen to have a close up pic of the fan do you? Step 8 seems to have the only good one. I imagine the original res pic would make it readable.

I wanna know it's specs. I reckon you could buy a replacement that would have a higher flow and be much quieter.

Cheers

thezoneR32

Ready to race!
Stellar, as always John.

You don't happen to have a close up pic of the fan do you? Step 8 seems to have the only good one. I imagine the original res pic would make it readable.

I wanna know it's specs. I reckon you could buy a replacement that would have a higher flow and be much quieter.

Cheers

I would have thought you woudln't need a fan with a ssd, they dont produce any heat.

This is an awesome diy. My rns is slow as f*%k. Do you need a specific ssd or could you use one of the new sandforce sata3 ones?

technopato

Passed Driver's Ed
I would have thought you woudln't need a fan with a ssd, they dont produce any heat.

This is an awesome diy. My rns is slow as f*%k. Do you need a specific ssd or could you use one of the new sandforce sata3 ones?

I am pretty sure the RNS' only have pata/IDE drives, so you'll need a 1st gen MLC SSD, heaps to be found on eBay...

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
I'm not sure. I would think so, but I can't say yes for sure. I don't see why not.

Just be careful in using a 1.8" drive. It won't mount well onto the 2.5" plate. You'd need to drill some new holes into the plate to properly secure the drive. You won't want to introduce any more rattles to the mk5 interior! :)

You install the drive as it comes (minus jumper), and then do a firmware + map install. That's what I did anyway. No need to clone anything. Plug, update, play.

I don't think my mate who I did this for has installed his yet as his dash fascia needed some modifications. He will be able to confirm.

thezoneR32

Ready to race!

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
It splits the partitions over 2 (or 3 with later beta firmware) in a proportional matter. It would be nice to decide that as your maps and POIs will never exceed that of what the standard 30GB drive would. That's not likely to be possible any time soon.

That one 'should' work. Won't know till you try it for sure.

It's a case of striking a cost vs size balance. The 64GB drive does that well. On a 2 partition format, you've doubled your capacity, for little outlay. 128+ gets expensive, and you're wasting more of the drive. 40GBs of music + 32GBs of SDHC music, and you should have your bases covered.

BranCKY3

rubndub
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Just took mine apart this evening, only to realize that you need an IDE SSD, not a SATA. Very disappointed that I overlooked that. Great write-up though!