GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, i broke the engine cover peg

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Well, i removed the engine cover yesterday, and heard a crack. didn't think much of it, then i heard something rattling inside the engine cover, and a small piece of plastic came out. looked at the mounting pegs (or whatever they're called) and noticed that one of them broke. :(

HiveMind

Event Horizon
Car(s)
CW 2006 GTI
Yeah those are a fucking pain in the ass. Luckily you can just buy another one for cheap :thumbsup:

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
is it died ?

had to. but is it bad. im not an engine guy but. it looks like an engine. can u explain what you broke and what it means for the car

there are 4 pegs that the engine cover mounts onto, and i broke one of them. this should give you a better idea:

the one i broke is being arrowed to.

FactorX

Not Autocross Champion
eh... I broke 2... I use the stubs to hold my Evo heat shield on... the others I removed since I got rid of the infernal engine cover... any intake that deletes it is a BIG improvement... simply from the hassle free nature of it...

tjacopi

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
My cover is only held on by three of the four mounting points, because when I pulled mine off one of the rubber grommets flew off into orbit. It still seems quite stable after 2000 miles, so three mounting points should be fine.

Still, I hate that @#$(@*# cover.

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
My cover is only held on by three of the four mounting points, because when I pulled mine off one of the rubber grommets flew off into orbit. It still seems quite stable after 2000 miles, so three mounting points should be fine.

Still, I hate that @#$(@*# cover.

you might want to replace that grommet thing. i had a similar grommet-sent-into-orbit scenario; i didn't think much of it because it still felt mostly stable. after just a few hundred miles, the moving cover cause the oil cap to pop into two pieces (the top half with the raised part that you use to turn it vs. the bottom part that is threaded that screws into the engine). the top part was lost which made it very very difficult to get the other half of the oil cap off. i took it into the dealership and they replaced the cap, and then ordered another grommet. while waiting for the second grommet, the new oil cap followed suit and split in half. everything stayed sealed and no major problems came of it, but it has been a pain in the ass. just a heads up.

Hkysk8r07

Banned
Car(s)
07 reflex silver gti
dude this engine cover is stupid i hate it's design and its heavy too. mine broke putting on my intake the airbox par that goes underneath the top part seperated itself, and theres a small crack to the left of the oil cap. not to mention it didnt want to come off at all.

not to mention i f'ed up that flexible hose on the turbo pretty bad.

i'm gonna take the engine cover apart and sell the pieces that are still good. or maybe i'll repair the top part and fab up my own mounting brackets for it.

bennylenny88

bora bora dude
Car(s)
Golf mk5 GTTDI 2.0
jsut be glad it didnt get sucked into your intake.. you wouldve been looking at a big bill for a new manifold inlet