GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center Caps for Classix DIY

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
Well my thanks goes to Electricalbox for this idea.

Heres a DIY to make your own center caps for the Classix (Volkswagen's OE wheel 2006 & 2007).

Preface- The way I bent the tabs, the caps will go in easy but will probably scratch the paint if you try & take them out, so if you scratch your wheels, its your fault.

Here's what you need:

• 4 - 2" electrical knock out seals (you can find these at most hardware stores)
  • 1 - can of spray primer
  • 1 - can of "Metallic Aluminum" spray paint (to match OE color)
  • Pliers
  • Scotch brite pad

Heres what I did:

1: First, I took a Scotch-Brite pad to the faces to take the shiny away & hopefully make the primer stick a little better. Left side is untouched & right side was hit with the Scotch-Brite

2: Then I cleaned the caps off with some alcohol & primed them. I did three coats of primer.

3ish*: This is where it gets a little tricky. The way the 2" caps come, they wont fit in the center of the Classix, so you have to bend the tabs. The left cap is how they come and the right is after I bent the tabs:

3: First you have to bend all of the tabs straight, the tab at 3 o' clock is the straight one:

4: Next, you fold the top over towards the outside of the cap. This makes it so you can pop the cap in easy, but if you try to pull it out it should resist a bit because its pulling against the wheel. The tab at 3 o' clock is the folded one:

5: When you finish bending all of the tabs, you have to do a quick test fit. Take the cap over to the wheel & see if it feels like it'll snap in (Dont snap the caps in yet man, you gotta paint the things!). Your going to have to bend the tabs in a bit to get them to fit (see the cap on the right in fourth picture).

6: After you get the caps to feel like they will just snap right in, you paint them, I did three coats of this as well. With the spray paint I got (Rust-Oleum painters touch spray paint) If you do a clear coat over the paint it changes the color and the caps wont match, i.e. dont clear these things.

7: After you get the caps painted, just pop em' right in. Now as I stated above, they will go in easy but might scratch your paint if you try and pop them out, unless if you bend your tabs in a different way.

8: Prosper.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
Looks good. Thought about doing this with mine, but realised it was cheaper for me to just paint the OE centers since i had some paint left over.

Electricalbox

OMG CAT FTW!
Very nice bud, glad it all worked out for you.

As for diameters with conduit knock out plugs it should be 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1.5" & 2" in most hardware stores.

You can also throw a sticker on there if you please and clear over the whole piece. I ordered those BBS decals for my BBS wheels, but since they don't fit I may use them on my new set of classix.

Lastly, everyone needs to know that the plugs are oversized in respect to being sold as a x" plug. The diameter of the classix hole IIRC was about 67mm with this 2" (would equate to 50.8mm but doesn't) fitting. So if you have a set of wheels with the center cap hole equal to the hub size of our car you can try a 1.5".

bhmkv

Auto Body Appraiser
Car(s)
07 CW GTI
Great idea!!!! I was rolling the classix for a while with no centers. Recently put them back on.

nbn

morning
I have been looking for a ~flat surfaced center cap to fit my wheels, they accept about a 68-70mm center cap, you think there would be a size of these to fit? I wasn't really sure i understood your explanation of the sizing.

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
I have been looking for a ~flat surfaced center cap to fit my wheels, they accept about a 68-70mm center cap, you think there would be a size of these to fit? I wasn't really sure i understood your explanation of the sizing.

These are the biggest plugs I could find & they would probably fit 46-49 mm, not 68-70mm like yours, sorry....

BoomGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Nice idea....if you want small VW caps, there is a set of small mk4 caps you can get and they almost clip in. So I used them along with a small bead of black silicone. They've been on for over a year and still hooding strong!