GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: 2.0T FSI Timing Belt Replacement for GTI/A3/Jetta

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
Ok thanks man - I had mine replaced at 30 or 40K because my idler rollers were squeaking and the stealership couldnt figure out why so went about replacing everything but the water pump. I'm at 100K now so Ill probably do it at 120K - are these engine interference engines (as in if the belt breaks ... You're F-ed?)

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
Yes, belt breaks=pissed off vw owner

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
I just went and took a look and I think I have a big problem - I have a two piece cover and I can see oil residue where the top and bottom pieces meet - Im hoping its just cam seals and not the head gasket - heres the kicker the head was replaced (under warrenty) just 30K ago :( any other thoughts on what it might be thats leaking ?

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
Any possibility it's just left over from the previous repairs, i.e. they didn't clean the covers off? How fresh does it look?

Clean it up and keep an eye on it.

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
Hi
So yesterday I went out and tried to remove the top part of my two piece timing belt cover I removed the top two screws and was able to tilt it back but couldnt get it all the way off ... is there something Im missing ?? I didnt want to force it because I knew it would just break the plastic.

What I could see did indeed look like somewhat fresh oil coming from the cam seal I have cleaned it off as best I could and will keep a close eye on it.

My questions are
1.How do you get the top part of the timing belt cover off
2.Where can I get a complete OEM kit (tensioner, belt, WP, strech bolts etc) - ESC has one but its not OEM and has no strech bolt for the acc pulley or engine mounts
3. Has anyone every done a cam shaft seal replacement and if so is a special tool needed ?

I will search more and see what I dig up but if anyone has some info that would be a help

Thanks in advance.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
I ordered my timing belt kit with the T-stat and water pump from dbcperformance.com

I forgot the other site that sells the full kit as well.

Zach L

VR junkie
Sorry, it's been awhile since I checked my thread :/

my kit came with a camshaft seal that isnt pointed out here for installation. can anyone help me?

Most people don't replace the camshaft seal. I've personally yet to see one that was leaking.

gotcha, thanks man.
im having a ton of trouble putting the belt on. once i did i went to tighten the tensioner and it broke on me. does anyone have any tips on tightening the tensioner once the belt is on? i was turning the 8mm allen side to line up the tab with the notch but it wouldnt even move. i tightened it until i couldnt anymore and realized that the tab wasnt even moving. when i went to loosen it up to try again is when it broke on me.

IDK what you were doing wrong hear and don't have any advice to give other than what's in the original post and what's been said. People just remember - it's generally not a good idea to force things. If it seems abnormally difficult, something is probably messed up or being done incorrectly.

Don't sweat it though, I ended up leaving my stock tensioner also because the cheap aluminum ended up getting stripped on the new one. As long as the tensioner is moving freely and quietly it will be ok until you have time to get another one to put in there.

WARNING: This is NOT a good idea. If you encounter this issue, leave the car sitting until you source a new tensioner and someone capable of installing properly. Two months ago I replaced an entire engine on a car (not mine) because this was done. The timing belt had been replaced and the original tensioner had been re-used. If the tensioner fails it won't matter how new the belt is; the belt will have enough slack to skip teeth and with an interferance engine (which ours' are), it means the end. I still have the old engine in my garage. Heed this warning or you may be doing this:

You don't have the nut tightened down do you? The nut needs to be loose until you have in the correct position, and then tighten it down.

This is correct. Put the nut on the stud, but do not tighten. Then adjust the tensioner and hold it in place while torquing the nut down.

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the write up. My father and I took care of the water pump and belt over this past weekend and it went pretty smooth. Only hiccups were getting the engine mount out of the way and the last time the dealership was in there, they must have felt compelled to put green thread locker on the crankshaft pulley bolts and were torqued way beyond what was called for. I'm seriously happy we did not break any of those. Also, the Blau Parts kit was very nice and complete.

Thanks! Glad it helped! The Blau Part kits is by far the best I have seen:thumbsup:

This might seem like a dumb question and one I could probably look up but ... at what mileage should this be done?

80k - 100k miles

I just went and took a look and I think I have a big problem - I have a two piece cover and I can see oil residue where the top and bottom pieces meet - Im hoping its just cam seals and not the head gasket - heres the kicker the head was replaced (under warrenty) just 30K ago :( any other thoughts on what it might be thats leaking ?

About to PM you:wink:

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
WARNING: This is NOT a good idea. If you encounter this issue, leave the car sitting until you source a new tensioner and someone capable of installing properly. Two months ago I replaced an entire engine on a car (not mine) because this was done. The timing belt had been replaced and the original tensioner had been re-used. If the tensioner fails it won't matter how new the belt is; the belt will have enough slack to skip teeth and with an interferance engine (which ours' are), it means the end. I still have the old engine in my garage. Heed this warning or you may be doing this:

That's why I said replace it when he can. I should have been more specific I guess to say get it done as soon as you can. Some of us don't have the luxury of being able to leave our car sitting, I know I sure didn't.

Zach L

VR junkie
I understand... if I were in that situation I'd have to get a rent car!

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
I understand... if I were in that situation I'd have to get a rent car!

I thought about it, bad part, I still have that old tensioner in there. I really should get that replaced asap, I just keep forgetting. Its on my list now though, I did my timing belt early enough anyway, I've only got 103K on the clock now

Zach L

VR junkie
I thought about it, bad part, I still have that old tensioner in there. I really should get that replaced asap, I just keep forgetting. Its on my list now though, I did my timing belt early enough anyway, I've only got 103K on the clock now

If it makes you feel better, I've done a couple timing belts on cars just over 100k miles. I'd start getting nervous about the tensioner anything over 125k miles though. The car I replaced the engine in had 140k miles when the tensioner went out.

Kind of a 'better safe than sorry' type thing.

drtechy

How you doin?
Car(s)
2008 TR GTI
That actually does make me feel better, but I know I've got to replace as soon as I can.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Most people don't replace the camshaft seal. I've personally yet to see one that was leaking.

Are you referring to the cam seal on the HPFP side? Mine is leaking. I hope to be tackling it this week. Looks fairly straightforward, although a DIY would be nice to have.

If it makes you feel better, I've done a couple timing belts on cars just over 100k miles. I'd start getting nervous about the tensioner anything over 125k miles though. The car I replaced the engine in had 140k miles when the tensioner went out.

Kind of a 'better safe than sorry' type thing.

This eases me a little bit too since my car is at 100,600. But, what doesn't is the fact that my car has seen 7k shifts throughout its life...a lot.:yikes:

danielmeigs

jag kómmer att studéra
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
timing belt

Thanks so much for posting this DIY, it was very thorough and saved me some serious money.

If you're not a pro, and if this is the first time you've changed a timing belt, here's some things to consider, and issues I encountered -

Bring a friend. Offer beer or even cash, but have someone available with a good head on their shoulders, and possibly their own set of tools. It will cut down on time, and they will likely approach problems differently than you, and come up with different solutions.

Get a good headlamp. It was so useful throughout the whole repair.

Find an air-conditioned garage to work in. This repair took me way too long, 8 hours just to get the old belt off and water pump installed, and you need to be somewhat comfortable to deal with stress.

I went to my local Nashville dealership asking to buy the stretch bolts mentioned, and they told me they don't replace any bolts when they change timing belts. So I didn't replace them.

After following the tooth marking section to the tee, my new timing belt, ordered from ECS tuning, fit over the cam shaft and the crankshaft without much elbow grease. I just made sure I marked everything and carefully transferred marks to the new belt.

consider spending some of the money you're saving on the Bentley manual. It helped to look at the illustrations when putting things back together, and having a second resource to check against this DIY.

When draining the coolant to replace the water pump, it took us a while to figure out which hose to disconnect, and even longer to disconnect it. After failing to use the quick release mentioned, we disconnected the same hose at a different point the elbow, using pliers to disengage the metal hose clamp. Disconnecting a large black rubber hose (intake or exhaust) nearby enabled us to fit a pair of pliers in the tight space. Also, coolant went everywhere, there's quite a bit in the radiator/hoses, so be prepared for a mess.

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
Zach - Thanks for updating this thread - Im interested to hear where you think the oil is coming on mine - I will take some pics tomorrow and upload them - Maybe you can help me with how to get the top part of my two piece timing belt cover off, I undid the two t30 screws and can tilt the cover back (towards the passenger wheel)but cant "pop" it off.
The oil isnt coming from the valve cover gasket but maybe its coming from the gasket under the piece that holds the cams in place ?? or worse from between the head and the block?
Have you pulled the dead engine you have apart to see the extent of the damage?