GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks

Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
brosevelt
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2007 MKV GTI
HID Headlight Problems

Initially, my driver's-side headlight went out so I bought two D2C 5000k bulbs off amazon to replace it with.

After getting them installed (FINALLY... It's a bitch to do), the driver's-side one works again, but now the passenger side won't work.

I swapped the working bulb to that igniter and that didn't fix it. So then I swapped the whole igniter with bulb from the other side and that still didn't fix it.

I've tried both bulbs and both igniters in the driver's side and it works. Any ideas?

Edit: FIXED! See below for the result. Had water in my ballast.

Last edited by brosevelt; 11-23-2013 at 06:47 PM.
brosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Rajini98

Drives: 07 FSI
Sounds like you have a loose connection from the ballast, to the ballast, or a bad ballast.
Rajini98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
bulldogger
Going for broke

Drives: 2008 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajini98 View Post
Sounds like you have a loose connection from the ballast, to the ballast, or a bad ballast.
This^

Gotta swap ballasts. Hopefully it might just be a loose connection. If not, I suggest buying a used ballast from Ebay as opposed to a new OEM ballast.

OEM list price according to 1st VW Parts is $492.90 vs used/tested Ebay part at $79.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-05-06-07...4862f2&vxp=mtr
Old 11-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
brosevelt
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogger View Post
This^

Gotta swap ballasts. Hopefully it might just be a loose connection. If not, I suggest buying a used ballast from Ebay as opposed to a new OEM ballast.

OEM list price according to 1st VW Parts is $492.90 vs used/tested Ebay part at $79.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-05-06-07...4862f2&vxp=mtr
Thanks so much for the link!! This will be huge. I'll be taking my car up to my parent's house to use their garage this weekend so I'll check the ballasts at that time.

Seriously, thanks again!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
emanuel_v19
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: GTI
let us know what the problem is. We can use this as a future reference. It sounds like the ballast though.
emanuel_v19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
brosevelt
Oval Newbie

Well... Fixed.

I got everything pulled apart (which took damn forever), and noticed that the underside of the ballast was damp...

All of this water was INSIDE the ballast!

I took it apart and used a blow dryer on it for a while to make sure everything was nice and dry.

Almost back together...

YES!! I got SO lucky that the ballast still worked after drying out. Saved me a ton of money!

I'm guessing the water got in there from when we had some flooding and I had to drive through a few flooded streets. Didn't think it was deep enough to get water splashing up in there, but apparently it did somehow... I've checked all the seals now and everything looks like it should be OK.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
emanuel_v19
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: GTI
Nice! you got lucky it worked! good for you.
emanuel_v19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
brosevelt
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_v19 View Post
Nice! you got lucky it worked! good for you.
Thanks! I was shocked that it worked! I'm liking the 5000k bulbs :)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
tymu27
Ready to race!

Drives: 2006 GTI MKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosevelt View Post
Well... Fixed.

I got everything pulled apart (which took damn forever), and noticed that the underside of the ballast was damp...

All of this water was INSIDE the ballast!

I took it apart and used a blow dryer on it for a while to make sure everything was nice and dry.

Almost back together...

YES!! I got SO lucky that the ballast still worked after drying out. Saved me a ton of money!

I'm guessing the water got in there from when we had some flooding and I had to drive through a few flooded streets. Didn't think it was deep enough to get water splashing up in there, but apparently it did somehow... I've checked all the seals now and everything looks like it should be OK.

I'm having some issues with my driver side headlight, and I believe it is the ballast. Could you tell me where the ballast is located once I pull everything off? Or how I should check it out? I cant find any DIY on here.
tymu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
brosevelt
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymu27 View Post
I'm having some issues with my driver side headlight, and I believe it is the ballast. Could you tell me where the ballast is located once I pull everything off? Or how I should check it out? I cant find any DIY on here.
Unfortunately, to remove the ballast you will need to take the headlight assembly off, as it is located underneath the actual headlight.

You can use this DIY to get the headlight assembly out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryUllFJoVg
Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
tymu27
Ready to race!

Drives: 2006 GTI MKV
Yeah thats what I ended up doing so I could test and make sure it wasnt my ballast, before I dropped another $100 on a new bulb. I bought a pair on Amazon which ended up being the reason the bulb blew after 6 months of use.
tymu27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:01 AM   #12
bushtucker
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '06 BMP GTI
Brosevelt, thanks for the solution.

My left headlight had similar issues, swapped igniters and bulbs, no luck. Issue started on a rainy day, initially the xenon turned dim, after that it didn't light up anymore.

Gonna try the hair dryer method.
bushtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #13
Omoitsurugi
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2009 Mk5 GTi
Gonna try this my next day off! Thanks for a solution posted. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Phablet using Tapatalk.
Omoitsurugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
DriV3n
Oval Champion

Drives: 2009 CW GTI
This post has great timing. My Passenger side HID just went out yesterday. My information center between the gauges post this upon starting the car: "Front right dipped beam not working!"

However, the HID briefly flashes when you turn the headlight switch to on. Any possibility that this could just be a loose connection? Not sure if it could be faulty ballast or a failing igniter since it briefly flashes.

Any advice on what could be the problem is appreciated.

Last edited by DriV3n; 08-20-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: English
DriV3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Chenzo_GTI
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2007
I'm having the same problem as Driv3n, I changed my ignitor with a brand new OEM one, and replaced the bulb (with eBay ones)
I'm getting the turning on, flickering then off (all within 30 seconds)
Does this sound like a bad ballast?
Chenzo_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
Boosty
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Candy White GTI
Is there any way to get to the ballast without removing the headlight itself.. My passenger side has been flickering , its got a new igniter and and a new bulb so I'm assuming it might be the ballast
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 AM   #17
bushtucker
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '06 BMP GTI
You would have to expose the wheel well to get to the ballast but it will be tough to squeeze your hand and screwdriver/ratchet to remove the ballast screws.

If you are focusing on one side, then just partially loosen the bumper side that you are working on. Don't have to completely remove the bumper and loosen all bumper screws.
bushtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #18
Hydro6253
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: 06 gti
I have an issue i just got the car and missing the plastic ring that the bulb sits in....also my passenger side wont stay on bright it comes on for a second then goes back to dim any ideas?
Hydro6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:01 AM   #19
deewee
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2007 gti
How many pins are on the igniter (male pins) ? Mine has 3, but the wire connection has slots for 4
deewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #20
imagineivan

Drives: 2009 VW golf GTI
Question HID Bulb

My 2009 GTI's passenger headlight bulb stopped working after a rainy day (monsoon season) and I noticed that the my headlight is missing the bulb cap, could something gotten wet? I didn't see any water inside the headlight
I bought a new bulb just to see if it would work and it didn't, I even tried witching igniters and still nothing.
Iv been told to buy a new igniter and others have told me to buy a new ballast but they cost a arm and a leg at the dealership IMO. Is there any other diagnostics I can do my self?
imagineivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #21
domainearth
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI MK5
My passenger-side high-beam stays on while engine is on or off, after they key is removed from the ignition, even when the parking brake is on. I have swapped ignitors and ballasts. I opened the headlight body and used heat wrap to re-insulate the wires, which were all horribly cracked and exposed (will share the video of this). After all of this, still experiencing the same issue. So, I purchased a whole new headlight housing, the originals were horribly dulled and ugly, plus I thought I might have messed up the wires, as I didn't resolve the issue. Even with the new headlight fixture installed and checked with swapped ignitors and ballasts– All this work and not a thing changed. Thoughts?
domainearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #22
GTIRyan
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '06 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by domainearth View Post
My passenger-side high-beam stays on while engine is on or off, after they key is removed from the ignition, even when the parking brake is on. I have swapped ignitors and ballasts. I opened the headlight body and used heat wrap to re-insulate the wires, which were all horribly cracked and exposed (will share the video of this). After all of this, still experiencing the same issue. So, I purchased a whole new headlight housing, the originals were horribly dulled and ugly, plus I thought I might have messed up the wires, as I didn't resolve the issue. Even with the new headlight fixture installed and checked with swapped ignitors and ballasts– All this work and not a thing changed. Thoughts?
I have the same exact problem, i have an 06 GTI. Been trying to figure out this issue for over a year now. I have to go plug in my headlight every time i have to drive at night. I was thinking about takjng it in and having them run tests on the electronics. So far all i have found is that the #6 pin has a constant to it that shouldnt be there with the car off, and some searching has led me to the j519 relay or something. We need to figure out was this issue is, it is quite annoying.
GTIRyan is offline   Reply With Quote