GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks

Old 10-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #23
domainearth
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GTI MK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIRyan View Post
I have the same exact problem, i have an 06 GTI. Been trying to figure out this issue for over a year now. I have to go plug in my headlight every time i have to drive at night. I was thinking about takjng it in and having them run tests on the electronics. So far all i have found is that the #6 pin has a constant to it that shouldnt be there with the car off, and some searching has led me to the j519 relay or something. We need to figure out was this issue is, it is quite annoying.
I hate to say it, but it's sometime nice to know that I am not the only one with the issue. Thanks for the insight. I do the same... Open the hood, plug the fixture in, and drive. Park, open the hood, unplug light, and so on and so forth.

I'm going to look into this J519. Is the issue with your driver's side or passenger's side? Thanks, hope we can help each other out.
domainearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Vento 3
Oettinger GLi

Drives: MK5 GLI
Nice the find this thread, my mechanic said i have moisture around my ballast, anyway to seal the ballast away from water?
Old 03-23-2018, 06:05 AM   #25
Gorg
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MKV GTI 4dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosevelt View Post
Well... Fixed.

I got everything pulled apart (which took damn forever), and noticed that the underside of the ballast was damp...

All of this water was INSIDE the ballast!

I took it apart and used a blow dryer on it for a while to make sure everything was nice and dry.

Almost back together...

YES!! I got SO lucky that the ballast still worked after drying out. Saved me a ton of money!

I'm guessing the water got in there from when we had some flooding and I had to drive through a few flooded streets. Didn't think it was deep enough to get water splashing up in there, but apparently it did somehow... I've checked all the seals now and everything looks like it should be OK.
you are lucky but why did not you add any kind of seal to act as a gasket? I would..
Gorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #26
sramos89

Drives: 2009 VW GTI
09 GTI Similiar issue

So, similar issue...my right side bulb has been replaced twice within 3 months. I noticed that every time I replaced it was because it would go out while im driving. I turn the car off, turn it back on, and it works. I also noticed that it usually happens on rainy days....possibly water in ballast as mentioned previously? or something else??
sramos89 is offline   Reply With Quote