GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > DIY + Maintenance + Tips/Tricks
Eurotek Tuning

Old 07-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #309
Jumanji
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: '09 Rabbit 4-dr 5-spd
Thanks for a great DIY. Changed the burned out bulb in 10 minutes. Now I have to wait for Amazon to replace the incorrect 2nd bulb that they shipped me and I can swap out the other headlight so I have 2 matching bulbs.

Jumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #310
GTILOVER93
Passed Drivers Ed

Drives: 07 5dr GTI w/ DSG
Thanks just did mine...easy to follow and to the point!!
GTILOVER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #311
spufman

Drives: '07 GTI 4 DOOR
Thanks, this was perfect. Replacement was smooth, no need to figure it out myself.
spufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #312
The Stu
stage 0

Drives: 2006 MKV GTI
Something I haven't concluded from thread: why isn't it better to just install bulb and holder into ignitor prior to installing back into headlight housing?

I just sat at my desk and practiced placing bulb and holder into ignitor several times prior to attempting to real install. Guess I'll find out.

Last edited by The Stu; 01-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.
The Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:03 PM   #313
The Stu
stage 0

UPDATE: installed both bulbs this way with no issue (already plugged into ignitor).

Unfortunately one bulb was mismatched and it seems that I have one at 4300K while the other is 5000K, per image...
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #314
The Stu
stage 0

Problem: my bulbs, with the ignitor and plastic "holder" intact, cannot seemingly twist into the headlight assembly. I will get home from a commute to find my headlights dim, open up the back of the housing, and find the bulbs/ignitor had fallen back out of the housing.

I've spent an hour in my garage trying to figure out a correct orientation and nothing works... they are just loose and will fall. Does it get too hot in there for me to just tape the bulb/ignitor up on the housing?

EDIT: reread the thread and seems like I can't install correctly with the ignitor already installed.

EDIT EDIT: Ok, when you secure the outer ring with bulb your hand is the *only* thing keeping the bulb from falling forward. I don't get it? How on earth would you secure the ignitor to the rear of the bulb if the bulb isn't secured into anything? The engineering of this piece is insane.

Last edited by The Stu; 02-16-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #315
turbod4life
turbod4life

Drives: 07"gti fsi dsg
Old thread but oh well...i got ebay bulbs due to its just a light bulb ...i didnt remove bumoer just took my time takibg it apart and watching how things line up then i installed bulb then oyshed ring on n turn then snapped red/blk box back in and plugged back in harness...wayyyy easier then removing headlight imo
turbod4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 AM   #316
BKGTI06
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '06 gti
If you are having problems installing the hid igniter here's a tip... Before trying to install it take a look at the inner plastic ring inside the igniter, the notches on the inner ring should line up with the notches on the igniter which goes on the bulb. So if you find yourself using way too much force to snap the igniter in place there's your problem

You can move the ring around by using a small flat head screwdriver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKGTI06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #317
BKGTI06
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: '06 gti
If you are having issues getting the igniter to clip on, look at the inside and you should see a plastic ring, if the notches don't line up take a small flat head screw driver and rotate it until they line up with the outside notches. Then it should just clip right in with little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKGTI06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #318
spinningmonkey
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2008 GTI BPY
Exclamation Ballast hold charge?

My passenger side has been going out after several minutes of driving. Ordered new bulbs to discover the ballast wasn't locked in place and it has melted the base of the bulb. The two contacts on the ballast have carbon buildup, is it safe to clean this with electrical cleaner? Or do these ballasts hold a charge like a capacitor?
Attached Images

spinningmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #319
samchamp
Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts

Drives: 2007 GTI
Thanks for a great DIY! The summaries on page 11 were very helpful.

The most helpful suggestion from the summary was practice the installation with your old bulb until you're comfortable with the procedure. Also, make sure there are no burs on the mating surfaces that will impede assembly. A TINY amount of dielectric grease on the mating plastic surfaces also helps. Good luck!
samchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #320
michail77
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2007 GLI
It's funny how easy this really is to do once you know how to do the process. I think I did my last bulb change in under 1 minute. It comes from understanding the proper alignments and an understanding of how the igniter connection works.
michail77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #321
SmitherSP
Master Brewer

Drives: REVO STGIII GLI
I wonder what the probability of these being knock offs are? I'm going to roll the dice on this one based on the price and feedback.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-GENUI...94167d&vxp=mtr
SmitherSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #322
ASCI_Blue
Ballin'

Drives: 06, TR, pkg 1, DSG, 18" Huffs.
I recently had to swap out bulbs and I think they're disagreeing with my car. I found a link either here or the 'tex to a third party Korean manufacturer, so bought a pair (was around $40 iirc) they installed fine but I've been having intermittent issues with both sides randomly going out and back on again. The bulb model is a d2c which I was under the impression was compatible with a d2s socket.

The passenger side bulb is dead, I attacked it with a continuity tester today, the fuses check out using the same method. They are rated for 35 watts, and iirc mine were 6000k's. The driver side occasionally goes out but no real idea as to why and it is completely random whether driving on a flat stretch or hammering around a corner and hopping a sidewalk (no I don't really drive over sidewalks). :p I bought them off Amazon, brand is MaxLux.
ASCI_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #323
FreePercussion

Drives: 2008 Volkswagen GTI
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I got the "Left Dipped Beam Not Working" message and headlamp symbol on my dash, and sure enough, the left headlamp was inoperative. Pepboys and AutoZone told my wife to GTFO with her GTI. One guy said "That installation took us 3 hours, and we still didn't get it done. You gotta go to the dealer.")

When I found this thread I said, let's give it a shot. Glad I did. Took about an hour all told. I ordered these replacement bulbs, which work great so far. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IVVGH9S?...27950_33920290

When I got the left bulb out, I saw that it had shattered into two pieces ("well, here's your problem!") Don't know how the f*ck that happened.

Tricks that worked for me:

Use a little bit of dielectric grease! As I was practicing screwing the locking ring on and off, it got stuck, and took about 5 minutes and a lot of torque to get it unstuck. After that, I applied about a peppercorn size amount of dielectric grease to a Q-tip and spread it around the inside of the locking ring. After that, installation was a cinch. If you have trouble unscrewing the locking ring, know that I really wailed on it and finally got it to pop off.

On the lip of the plastic base of the bulb, where the glass bulb enters the plastic, there are a few little nipples sticking out. (Don't confuse these with the larger knobs on the base of the bulb). I filed those nipples down a bit with a nail file.

Practice! You are doing this blind, so practice 1) screwing the locking ring on and off without the bulb, 2) screwing the locking ring on and off with the old bulb. Your hand will learn how it all works, and when you do it for real it'll be easier.

The driver's side was more difficult because there's less room. Best position was to stand facing the engine, slightly to the left of the headlamp assembly, and reach in with my left hand. Then your wrist is lined up well to screw and unscrew components.

Read the tips on page 11 and study the orientations of the bulb in the locking ring. That helped. Also, remember, all the pieces screw off and screw on the same way. Keep that rotation in your head while you have your hand in there.

Sounds complicated but if you read up in advance it's really easy.
FreePercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #324
deewee
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2007 gti
How many pins are on the igniter (male pins) ? Mine has 3, but the wire connection has slots for 4
deewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #325
drval85
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2009 GTI
HID Bulb Install

Thought I'd add info from my experience.

I couldn't align the bulbs at all until I took photos of how everything goes together. Once I figured it out, it's pretty simple.

I bought Phillips d2s bulbs from amazon. They went in without issues, didn't have to shave off anything. 85$.

The bulb has 2 holes that align with 2 tabs on the headlight itself. It should not rotate at all.

The red tabs on the headlight go into the red holes highlighted on the bulb. This prevents the bulb from rotating.

I placed the bulb into the headlight loose. Parking facing downhill will help gravity hold it in place. It WILL fall out if you're not careful.

Then, I placed the plastic locking ring over the bulb. The locking ring has a "top" indication.

I aligned that so when it was rotated to locking position, the "top" was at 1 o'clock.

In the photo below, the red line indicates 12 to 6 o'clock when installed/locked. So the silver tab at the bottom is at 6, and the "top" lettering is at 1.

The plastic locking ring has 3 tabs. They align with the 3 slots on the headlight itself. 2 of them are highlighted in blue in the photo below.

You need to clear the 2 nubs in the bulb itself (in purple in the photo above) if you do it in this order.

The benefit is that you can be 100% sure the bulb is correctly aligned before installing the plastic locking ring. Otherwise you need to try to hold the bulb in place, find the slots, and then rotate the plastic ring. If the bulb can rotate at all, you're doing it wrong. And as mentioned earlier, all parts lock on in the same direction.

Last edited by drval85; 11-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.
drval85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #326
jifjifjif
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2007 GTI-6spd manual, white
Looks nice! Much better visibility, it seems.
jifjifjif is offline   Reply With Quote