GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > General + Other Cars (non-VW/Audi)
Ringer Racing

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
.:R32D2
Big Brown Truck Driver

Drives: MKV R32
So I bought another German car...

...and that car is an M3! What the hell was I thinking? I wasn't and I don't care!

So over the weekend I pulled the trigger on the one car that I've always had my eye on and realistically could one day own. And that time is NOW! Well, March to be exact. They still have to build it, put it on a boat and bring over here.

This car right here, pretty much.

Mineral Gray
Black leather interior
Manual transmission
18'' wheels.

Reason I'm posting this is I'd love some advice or suggestions on a few things I want to do to it! I love my R32 but this is SO not that.

I want to do 2 things right off the bat, lower it and 19" wheels (reason why I got the 18's "at no additional cost")

So my question is, If I'm looking for coilovers and riimzz, am I still looking at the same brands we do with our VW's? With the Google I found a lot of people running KW coilovers on their bimmers. Also, spacers...is that a thing on this car, am I fucking things up? Lol.

Yeah so I have 3 months to figure this out but I want it all ready to go when the car gets to the dealership.

“Speed has never killed anyone - suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson
MKV R32 #2799 Neuspeed P-flo || APR RSC 3" Catback || APR Stage 1 || UM DSG Flash || HPA SHS Coilovers|| 18" VMR V710's
.:R32D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
07mkvgti
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Black Magic MK7
Send a message via AIM to 07mkvgti Send a message via MSN to 07mkvgti Send a message via Yahoo to 07mkvgti
do the european pickup! take a trip to Germany and save $10,000 on the price of the car!

BALLLLLLLLLLLLLIN CREW MEMBER #99 bishes
07mkvgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to eurocars
Booooooost it!!!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07mkvgti View Post
do the european pickup! take a trip to Germany and save $10,000 on the price of the car!
I heard about the ED! Spent a good minute looking at pictures owners have posted of their trip. But how do you save 10k by adding a vacation? Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
Booooooost it!!!
I shouldn't be spending anymore money after buyin this! But I want to do wheels and suspension at least for now. Or so I say... I don't even believe myself anymore

“Speed has never killed anyone - suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.” ― Jeremy Clarkson
MKV R32 #2799 Neuspeed P-flo || APR RSC 3" Catback || APR Stage 1 || UM DSG Flash || HPA SHS Coilovers|| 18" VMR V710's
Old 12-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
high_octane3541
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 08 MkV GTI / 2016 S3
I'd do kW suspension and 42dd spacers that are wheel n hub centric 🏼
Old 12-10-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_octane3541 View Post
I'd do kW suspension and 42dd spacers that are wheel n hub centric ��
That! That right there is the idea I want to go with. Seen a lot of dudes doing the KW's and I'm looking around trying to figure out the spacer size. I've seen some doing 15/18 and no reports of rubbing SO FAR...

And as far as wheels, I love VMR's. Maybe I just haven't been exposed to many others but didn't see any Roti's or Avant-Gardes that I liked so what else? lol

Edit: I really like the competition wheels, looking for that or something similar.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:03 AM   #7
07mkvgti
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Black Magic MK7
Send a message via AIM to 07mkvgti Send a message via MSN to 07mkvgti Send a message via Yahoo to 07mkvgti
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:R32D2 View Post
I heard about the ED! Spent a good minute looking at pictures owners have posted of their trip. But how do you save 10k by adding a vacation? Lol.
lol make a vacation out of it and at least you can say that money went towards some time in Europe and not to the car. Bottom line, the car payment is lower.

BALLLLLLLLLLLLLIN CREW MEMBER #99 bishes
07mkvgti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07mkvgti View Post
lol make a vacation out of it and at least you can say that money went towards some time in Europe and not to the car. Bottom line, the car payment is lower.
Well I went with BMW Select so my payment is fairly low. I don't know know great that is in the long run (financially) but also, work won't let me take that time off, and if I do I won't get paid and therefor not be able to pay for the car lol

Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Corgon
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2007 Golf GTI MKV 2 Door
VMRs are great but this is a different beast. Don't put a pair of 30 dollar shoes on an Olympic runner. Get a decent set of forged wheels from HRE, Vossesn, Rotiform, VIP modular, OZ, Rays/Volks, Nutek, etc.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgon View Post
VMRs are great but this is a different beast. Don't put a pair of 30 dollar shoes on an Olympic runner. Get a decent set of forged wheels from HRE, Vossesn, Rotiform, VIP modular, OZ, Rays/Volks, Nutek, etc.
I have a lot of respect for VMR and the people that work there. And I really like their wheels. Also, sure I bought a 65k car but I can't afford 2k+ wheels. LOL.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
Big Brown Truck Driver

SO! I am looking into MORE POWERRRR but I want to get used to the car first. I mean, coming from an R32, 425 HP is gonna feel like a beast.

SO the things I'm gonna do to the car as soon as I take delivery are
19" VMR 810's
H&R springs
black kidney grille
color matched side markers.

Simple, clean...that's it for now!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
hairyblackrabbit
Powerful like a gorilla

Drives: Malibu
awesome car,

but your plans basically consist of fucking up the performance you paid extra for.

may as well 3 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
He's way older. In his 40s.
hairyblackrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:58 AM   #13
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblackrabbit View Post
awesome car,

but your plans basically consist of fucking up the performance you paid extra for.

may as well 3 series.
You're referring to the suspension? Can't imagine it being the wheels or the grille...

I didn't spend the extra $ on the adjustable suspension. What do you suggest if I'm looking to lower the car about an inch or so?

Old 12-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
I brake for apexes!

Drives: Front Rear Sport
Sell the R32 because you'll never drive it again.
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 AM   #15
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Sell the R32 because you'll never drive it again.
Hahaha of course I will! I love my R. That's still gonna be my daily.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:57 AM   #16
Corgon
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2007 Golf GTI MKV 2 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:R32D2 View Post
You're referring to the suspension? Can't imagine it being the wheels or the grille...

I didn't spend the extra $ on the adjustable suspension. What do you suggest if I'm looking to lower the car about an inch or so?
I personally wouldn't touch the suspension. You bought an M car. If you wanted to fiddle with a BMW why not just go for a normal 3 series? You're paying a lot of money for development that you're going to throw away with a cheap suspension kit. Also regarding VMR wheels, they're cheap, gravity cast wheels. I understand they may be great to the community but again, you're throwing incredible, light weight wheels for heavier, weaker wheels.

I don't want to tell you what to do with your car, it's your money. Just realize that this car is engineered extremely well (or else it wouldn't me an ///M) and if you don't have the money to do the modifications right, I wouldn't do them at all.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #17
hairyblackrabbit
Powerful like a gorilla

Drives: Malibu
Quote:
I personally wouldn't touch the suspension. You bought an M car. If you wanted to fiddle with a BMW why not just go for a normal 3 series? You're paying a lot of money for development that you're going to throw away with a cheap suspension kit. Also regarding VMR wheels, they're cheap, gravity cast wheels. I understand they may be great to the community but again, you're throwing incredible, light weight wheels for heavier, weaker wheels.

I don't want to tell you what to do with your car, it's your money. Just realize that this car is engineered extremely well (or else it wouldn't me an ///M) and if you don't have the money to do the modifications right, I wouldn't do them at all.
this guy right here

dont stance *** this
Quote:
He's way older. In his 40s.
hairyblackrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #18
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:

Of course you can't tell me what to do with my money but I DO appreciate the input

I'm entirely new to BMW so it's not like I worked my way up to an M series.
I'm going based on what I know about cars and what I like on them but you're right this is an entirely different machine and it is engineered to live up to the M badging.

So thank you. I'm trying to figure this car out before I take delivery of it!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Vash
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '10 G37S
Someone suggested ED. I highly recommend that you do this. You've ordered the car, now would be the time to do it, may not get this opportunity again. I picked up my C63 coupe via ED. You get the car at invoice and can also take advantage of any incentives that may be available. Buy a ticket and get one free (so someone can go with you). Taxi vouchers so that you can get around (for free) until you've picked up your car. They also pay to have your car shipped here (it was around $3k from Germany to Newport Beach). There was a lot more, BMW's ED program is very similar. Trust me, breaking your car in on the autobahn is how it should be done. Aside from that, Germany is a beautiful country, the people are awesome, and there is so much to do and see. Call the dealer and set this up ASAP! You have to go to Hofbrauhaus, cruise the Black Forest (check out the castles there), and run the 'Ring.

I went with my wife, our eldest son (have had two more since), and took two of her sisters (we went to France also, figured the girls would love the experience).

Congrats on the car!
Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 AM   #20
Big Brown Truck Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Someone suggested ED. I highly recommend that you do this. You've ordered the car, now would be the time to do it, may not get this opportunity again. I picked up my C63 coupe via ED. You get the car at invoice and can also take advantage of any incentives that may be available. Buy a ticket and get one free (so someone can go with you). Taxi vouchers so that you can get around (for free) until you've picked up your car. They also pay to have your car shipped here (it was around $3k from Germany to Newport Beach). There was a lot more, BMW's ED program is very similar. Trust me, breaking your car in on the autobahn is how it should be done. Aside from that, Germany is a beautiful country, the people are awesome, and there is so much to do and see. Call the dealer and set this up ASAP! You have to go to Hofbrauhaus, cruise the Black Forest (check out the castles there), and run the 'Ring.

I went with my wife, our eldest son (have had two more since), and took two of her sisters (we went to France also, figured the girls would love the experience).

Congrats on the car!
WOW I haven't been on here in 2 months!? Work has had me consumed. Speaking of work, THAT is the reason I wasn't able to do the ED. I know what you mean and I totally get you. It would have been awesome but I'm a UPS driver at the bottom of the seniority list. NO WAY IN HELL I could have gotten time off. My vacations don't kick in till May so I was screwed. But with bad news aside, my car is on a boat and literally a week from docking in my state. Cannot wait.