GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes sponsored by The Tire Rack

Support GolfMKV by clicking this link to do your tirerack shopping, THANKS!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #1
ballsdeep
Touring Car Champion

Drives: mkv
Golf R brakes on GTI

I searched a boatload, some say they will bolt right op while others say they won't.. r32 will swap right over and the R's Are the same as those, so in theory they should swap right over.. I'm about to buy a front front Golf R setup calipers, rotors, dust shield, pads and the longer brake lines.. Is there anything else I'll need before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep View Post
I searched a boatload, some say they will bolt right op while others say they won't.. r32 will swap right over and the R's Are the same as those, so in theory they should swap right over.. I'm about to buy a front front Golf R setup calipers, rotors, dust shield, pads and the longer brake lines.. Is there anything else I'll need before I pull the trigger?

Thanks in advance
Definately put the Tyrolsport Stiffners on them as you do this along with a good fluid like ATE and yes dust shields fit fine and you need the R brake lines so sounds like you are all good. They do bolt up.

I run HPS 5.0 pads for street all around - very nice. And with more aggressive HP+ pads for the track they have performed well on fast road courses where you are constantly coming in from triple digit speeds to tight turn. Never faded in back to back sessions, went through full tank of gas that day.

Love my R brakes which are the same as R32 brakes... but they are heavy, but they are a very nice factory upgrade with LOTS of pad choices.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
Strieg
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI -FSI-
I want these one day.
Strieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08'.:R32
but you need more wheel offset for that eh?
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #5
ballsdeep
Touring Car Champion

Drives: mkv
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
Definately put the Tyrolsport Stiffners on them as you do this along with a good fluid like ATE and yes dust shields fit fine and you need the R brake lines so sounds like you are all good. They do bolt up.

I run HPS 5.0 pads for street all around - very nice. And with more aggressive HP+ pads for the track they have performed well on fast road courses where you are constantly coming in from triple digit speeds to tight turn. Never faded in back to back sessions, went through full tank of gas that day.

Love my R brakes which are the same as R32 brakes... but they are heavy, but they are a very nice factory upgrade with LOTS of pad choices.

Thanks for the info, that's a sweet ass setup! I'll look into the stiffeners too. Your build page is awesome as well! You made 335hp with the K04, did you change the rods or is it all stock still.. I have a k04 too, I just installed the SB stage 2 daily so I wanna put it in a dyno soon, hopefully I'll be around 300.

Well done!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsdeep View Post
Thanks for the info, that's a sweet ass setup! I'll look into the stiffeners too. Your build page is awesome as well! You made 335hp with the K04, did you change the rods or is it all stock still.. I have a k04 too, I just installed the SB stage 2 daily so I wanna put it in a dyno soon, hopefully I'll be around 300.

Well done!
Thanks, motor is stock, I have done a bit more to it since the 335/336 numbers but due to DSG slippage I have not been able to lay down new numbers. I hope to have slippage issue fixed in the next couple of weeks with a customized DSG tune with increased clamping force.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
but you need more wheel offset for that eh?
I am running them with BBS CO. 18X8 ET44 and no spacers or clearance issues. Actually plenty of room.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08'.:R32
hmm, sweet calipers anyway
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
Dwowie

Drives: GTI
Sorry for trying to revive this but I’m about to purchase golf r brakes and wanted to know what we’re the issues installing and what’s needed to install on my mk5?
Dwowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #10
Popparees
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 08 gti tsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwowie View Post
Sorry for trying to revive this but I’m about to purchase golf r brakes and wanted to know what we’re the issues installing and what’s needed to install on my mk5?
I'd like to know as well. Can anyone answer this?
Popparees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #11
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
Golf R brakes on GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popparees View Post
I'd like to know as well. Can anyone answer this?

They’re direct bolt on and definitely help brake better - but they do weigh a lot. Rotors are more expensive - slightly.

Source: I have swapped from GTI to Mk5 R32 to TTRS brakes and now have those calipers on two golfs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
Pudding
Go Kart Champion

Drives: MK5 GTI Edition 30
For a more OEM look, how about MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack calipers (same as 8V S3/7R) and Clubsport S discs?

All you need is the calipers, carriers, discs and pads. The stock MK5 brake lines work just fine, but upgrade to braided if you want to. I just used brand new OEM lines

With the Clubsport S discs, the weight difference between stock 312 and R/S3 is around 4Kg per corner, which is nothing if you have adjustable damping and the huge increase in stopping power more than compensates for the weight. I didn't even notice/feel the extra weight at all.

Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
sauron18
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: VW MK5 GLI
I was thinking of putting the R brakes in my MK5 GLI but i decided to go NQSBBK front and R rear brakes setup. Maybe occasionally i will go to the track and the drag but my car is my DD and a street car. I like the R brakes, the car no doubt will brake better & will look awesome. The benefit of having bigger brakes for more heat dissipation in my case i think i will not use it 100%.
sauron18 is offline   Reply With Quote