GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > Photo / Video / Media Gallery

Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #67
DarkX
Your Boss :P

Drives: GTI Edition 30 DSG
Send a message via MSN to DarkX
Wow it's been a couple years since I updated this thread. So much has happened since, done some more modding and tweaking to make a few extra ponies, car runs strong as ever and it was time to get myself new wheels and tires: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red 8x18 and Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R 225/40/R18 88W

Next up is fender rolling, cause right now rub is my middle name. I rubbed on stock wheels but it wasn't nearly as bad, which is why I never rolled. Looking to find a shop in my area, which turns out isn't as easy as I thought and I don't feel confident enough to DIY it as I have zero experience with body work. I have read everything about the methods, tools used etc and it's no big deal to purchase the equipment but I'd rather have it done by a professional. If I can't find any I'm afraid I'm gonna have to lift the car by half an inch or so, which won't be too bad I guess but I'd rather not to.

2007 Diamond Black ED30 DSG :: 390 hp :: 490 nm :: ECU REVO stage 2+ :: DSG REVO stage 2 :: Maxogen ITG intake :: Exhaustflow TBE 76mm :: HJS 200cell 130mm cat :: Autotech HPFP :: APR IC :: DV rev D :: NGK R8 coils :: NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs :: StopTech ST41 BBK :: Neuspeed drilled rear rotors :: Goodridge rear lines :: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red wheels :: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R tires 225/40/R18 88W :: KW coilovers
DarkX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #68
DarkX
Your Boss :P

Drives: GTI Edition 30 DSG
Send a message via MSN to DarkX
So I did it with the old-school rubber mallet method, which is how it was done before fender rollers came out, making sure you have one hand on the outside of the fender. It took a while, much longer than the fender roller method, as you had to go real easy with the hits and it took hundreds. The result is pretty good, the left fender came out perfect and we had a slight crack of paint on the right fender but only on the lip which you can't see unless you get under the car. Despite that, I used a little touch-up paint and clear coat to seal the damage.

Since there was no more lip to keep the plastic inner fender in place, we had to lift the upper part by 2/3" (there is still no gap between the two parts) to line it up with the rolled lip. Along with adjusting the screws, to lift the inner fender we also had to cut a 1/3" chunk which has no effect at keeping water and dirt away effectively.

I just wanted to say that the mallet method does work, possibly just as good as the fender roller, but it requires experience. Fender roller seems a lot safer but according to my research paint can still crack, as it depends on things such as how old the paint is, its quality, fender flexibility etc. I even gave a few calls and nobody could guarantee a flawless result, so I decided to choose experience over the modern method.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the fender while I was under the car and as there is no wheel gap up front I can't take a proper shot unless I jack the car up which I'm bored to do, and even if I did the picture would probably come out blurred, so it's gonna have to wait until I have to lift the car for another job.

Took the car for a quick ride, no more rubbing even at 60 mph except just once which I could barely hear. I used to rub at 40 and like 3-4 times on the same route. I also did a few runs at a nice stretch and no issues.

2007 Diamond Black ED30 DSG :: 390 hp :: 490 nm :: ECU REVO stage 2+ :: DSG REVO stage 2 :: Maxogen ITG intake :: Exhaustflow TBE 76mm :: HJS 200cell 130mm cat :: Autotech HPFP :: APR IC :: DV rev D :: NGK R8 coils :: NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs :: StopTech ST41 BBK :: Neuspeed drilled rear rotors :: Goodridge rear lines :: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red wheels :: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R tires 225/40/R18 88W :: KW coilovers
DarkX is offline   Reply With Quote