GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > Photo / Video / Media Gallery

Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
DarkX
Your Boss :P

Drives: GTI Edition 30 DSG
Send a message via MSN to DarkX
DarkX's Edition 30 DSG | Build Thread & Parts Review

So last month and after having owned the car for 3 years and 3 months I decided it was finally time to awaken the beast hidden inside. I went with a REVO remap (settings 9.6.9) after all the good words I heard and I was anything but disappointed, it felt like a completely different car. Also changed DV to Revision D. No other mods at the time, but still with only software the car was touching 310 to 315 bhp and 420 nm of torque. Long story short I made a thread back then, click here to read it.

Few days ago and after lots of web pages and phone calls I purchased a phenomenal intake. It's by Maxogen, called ITG. This piece of work is really pure art and the power it delivers across the powerband is incredible. With the REVO software, the intake itself adds an outstanding 20 bhp and 3 nm over the software, in a total of 330 bhp and 450 nm of torque. Because of its huge size (both it's massive oiled foam filter and the intake) it's capable to handle more than 500 bhp, which means should I ever decide to go BT I'm keeping the intake.

If you're wondering why there is no heat shield with it, after consulting the mechanic I was advised to keep it shieldless because that way the filter breathes a lot easier and the air isn't that hot either because it's far from the engine. I haven't logged IAT yet but at least I can see huge difference against my OEM intake when I touch it with my hand after some aggressive driving. So unless I find a way to have both a heat shield and at the same time without compromising air supply (like installing a piece of piping from the side grill that's under the filter and running before-after logs), I'm keeping it as it is. I really see no problems with the shieldless setup though, even after repeatitive pulls, except the heatsoak I get because there is no FMIC yet. But with that much power I'm not in a big rush to install either, plus I don't beat on it a lot. Heatsoaked or not it's still pretty damn strong. I do need a FMIC though that's a fact.

On another note the sound it makes is simply astonishing, click here to watch a video I've made for the sound. Soon I'll make an acceleration video and add it.

Other than that, only few days after the REVO software I installed LED type lights on the license plate that have a white-bluish colour. They come with built-in resistors for code-free operation. What I love about them is the way they light the floor under the bumper and create its shadow.

Costs:

REVO = 950 euro
DV Rev D = 0 euro (that was a present by the REVO dealer)
LED plate lights ~ 35 euro
Maxogen ITG intake = 600 euro

Subtotal: a little over 1500 euro. Not bad for a 100 bhp increase over stock.

2007 Diamond Black ED30 DSG :: 390 hp :: 490 nm :: ECU REVO stage 2+ :: DSG REVO stage 2 :: Maxogen ITG intake :: Exhaustflow TBE 76mm :: HJS 200cell 130mm cat :: Autotech HPFP :: APR IC :: DV rev D :: NGK R8 coils :: NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs :: StopTech ST41 BBK :: Neuspeed drilled rear rotors :: Goodridge rear lines :: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red wheels :: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R tires 225/40/R18 88W :: KW coilovers

Last edited by DarkX; 03-27-2011 at 03:11 PM.
DarkX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
JETLIFE
Banned

Drives: MICHAEL KNIGHT
JETLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
koyhis
AAAA!

Drives: Jetta VI
waitttttttt 1.76bar? :O

so the itg is worth the money? im not sure yet which one to go with, twintake or itg
koyhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Rich241
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2008 TR GTI 6MT
intake is huge
Rich241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
DarkX

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyhis View Post
waitttttttt 1.76bar? :O

so the itg is worth the money? im not sure yet which one to go with, twintake or itg
I run very aggressive settings and I could attempt a little more timing advance too but there's no point, summer is around the corner and I have no fmic. The ITG is worth every penny, in a K04 car it delivers outstanding power, not sure how that compares in K03 but given its ability to feed massive amounts of air into the turbo I suppose it's still one of the best choices you can make. No regrets here.

2007 Diamond Black ED30 DSG :: 390 hp :: 490 nm :: ECU REVO stage 2+ :: DSG REVO stage 2 :: Maxogen ITG intake :: Exhaustflow TBE 76mm :: HJS 200cell 130mm cat :: Autotech HPFP :: APR IC :: DV rev D :: NGK R8 coils :: NGK BKR8EIX spark plugs :: StopTech ST41 BBK :: Neuspeed drilled rear rotors :: Goodridge rear lines :: DOTZ Shift Pinstripe Red wheels :: Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 R tires 225/40/R18 88W :: KW coilovers
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
wizzo
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2009 GTI FSI BMP
But from what i heard it doesnt fit the left hand drive cars because of the brake master cylinder or something :)??

Revo Tuned | 3 inch DP | EJ Intake | Forge DV | AST Coilovers + Camber | Team Dynamic 1.2 Pro Race Rims + 245/40 R18 NT-05's | 27mm BSH RSB | Cayenne 6 Pots
wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
DarkX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzo View Post
But from what i heard it doesnt fit the left hand drive cars because of the brake master cylinder or something :)??
My steering wheel is on the left side.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
DarkX

Typo: in my initial post 2nd paragraph, where it says 3 nm make that 30.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Silent J
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 06' RS MKV GTI
How much does this thing cost?
Silent J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
DarkX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkX View Post
Soon I'll make an acceleration video and add it.
So here it is. Everything I wanted to say is commented in the video, nothing further to add. Phone camera.

I recommend you watch on YouTube

Embedded version:

Old 08-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
DarkX

So yesterday I installed my new tires, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup same dimensions 225/40/ZR18, 88Y. These tires are intended for track use but they are street legal and while you can drive them on the wet you have to be very cautious. For those unfamiliar look them up tirerack has a nice description of them.

Currently in the break in process so I can't write a review yet, however they are much quieter than I expected, very little noise I'd say comfort wise 7.5/10 I'm very pleased. Also love their pattern. Can't wait to finish breaking in and get rid of ESP which, unfortunately, with my old tires had been my only friend for digs.

Here's 2 pics:

Track tires with street legal cover. A punk in a suit.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
Swiper
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MkV Jetta GLI | MkIV .:R32
Okay so the first inlet of this intake is huge.... BUT you can only suck in as much air as your smallest tubing. So you can have 6 in tubing at the filter but if it tapers down to 3inches you might as well have 3 inches all the way through........... simple pneumatics.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
DarkX

That intake was designed under the scope of making more gr/sec of air than the best in the market. How much do they make? We will make more.. so Andy Jackson, product manager of ITG and voila Maxogen was created.

Now that specific intake/filter combo was tested by REVO themselves on my car and it performed better than the next 2-3 best in the market providing the highest amount of air, which proved ITG's claims. I don't have data with me right now and I don't remember what the number was but I'm going there September for a few things and I'm gonna log gr/sec to put it up here. That's all I can say for now.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
queen
~Nassia~

Drives: Seat Ibiza Cupra Mk5 DSG
The intake is bigger than my engine lol
Tires are sexy, can't wait for mine!

Hybrid turbo and stuff.
queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
DarkX

Thanks I fell in love with them already, love in first sight? Rubber can be addictive, all sorts of it haha. Like I said before, these are track tires within street legal cover, it's a punk in a suit.

I can't wait to see your car when you install the blueflame exhaust, looking forward to see your stage 2!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
DarkX

So a little over than a month ago I was looking for a pair of discs to replace my worn out fronts. I didn't want a big brake kit just yet, only needed a new pair of discs. So I could either go with just another OEM set or find something a little better with more or less the same money. The whole time I've had the car I've already gone through 2 sets, about €210/set from the stealership. This is my 3rd set, so I figured I'd try something new.

Zimmermann Cross Drilled 312x25 / 5x112 (OEM dimensions), €160/set.

For pads I was between OEM, Ferodo DS 2500/3000 and Hawk HPS/HP+
While debating about which one to go with, I made a thread back then, here it is if anyone wants the whole story. With a few words, the only thing that troubled me about the aftermarket choices, was personal experience from other cars I've been into; there was an awful squeaking coming from the pads' metallic compound which lasted quite some time. Eventually it went away but the idea I would possibly have to go through this for I dunno how long, made me consider the OEM option.

Anyway I couldn't find anyone that combined the Zimmermann Discs with OEM pads, maybe I'm the first who knows and I can understand why.. obviously when you're upgrading the discs, you want something better for pads too. But I didn't mind not having the ultimate stopping power, for all I know I may go with a big brake kit sometime so this could be temporary. I haven't even upgraded the brake lines so..

So I went for it. Zimmermann discs and OEM pads. And before I let the pictures talk, let me just say this.. now that I'm way past break-in, braking has definitely improved, but the improvement is obvious after repetitive hard braking, which doesn't seem to fade as quick as it used to. No it's not a night and day difference but there's improvement. Better pads would obviously improve braking even further but I'm very satisfied with the fact that I paid €50 less and got a better than OEM replacement.

Also changed my brake fluid for a 2nd time, this time from OEM to ATE Typ 200.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
queen
~Nassia~

Drives: Seat Ibiza Cupra Mk5 DSG
Looking sharp!

Hybrid turbo and stuff.
queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #18
Widebody
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2008 MKV Rabbit Coupe
Sweet sweet rubber
Widebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
Elliott
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: BMP 07 MT MKV GTI
Love those Michelins!
n show your support.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #20
DarkX

Back after a long time with KW coilovers. I went with variant 1 because I've seen and driven it and I'm very pleased with how it rides. You don't call it stiff but it's not soft either, I think it's a good compromise between sportiness and a daily driver and for someone like me who likes a good drop but not slam.

Few quick shots during fitment...

Front.

Rear.

So here we're setting up the height. KW coilovers offer only about an inch and a half drop for mkv, so I went nearly all the way down, maybe less than 1/4 of an inch left.

Coming out of the shop, I noticed a rear wheel was in the air and it wasn't a tall ramp either. The front wheel got into the well but this gave me the chance to notice my clearance in case of bumps. Also tried a few bumps and I don't notice rubbing, even with passengers. Like I said earlier, car has to be able to drive nearly anywhere.

A few more pics...

Front lip clearance is about a CD, which isn't too low but you have to be careful. So far I haven't had any problems and luckily my ramp at home is pretty smooth.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #21
high_octane3541
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 08 MkV GTI / 2016 S3
Nice
Old 03-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #22
DarkX

Another update after a long time. Just received my StopTech ST41 BBK which I have sitting right here: 4-piston, 328x25 rotors, SS brake lines and Street Performance StopTech pads.

Now waiting for my OEM size drilled Neuspeed rotors for the rear (same pattern like the StopTech kit) which I'm expecting next week. Gonna pick up a new set of pads for these as well, I'm thinking to stick with OEM for now since the pads that come with the kit are intermediate so I don't want something too hard for the rear. In the future if I decide to go with something more track-oriented for the fronts, I'll do the same with the rears.

While waiting for the rear rotors here's a few photos of the kit: