GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Eurotek Tuning

Old 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #1101
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 06 CW GTI DSG/09 UG GTI DSG
Ok, was trying to wait till I picked it up but I cant. Body shop just sent me some pictures. Here's a teaser for now, I'll get more when she's home.

I will say, after flare purchase price and install, this is the single most expensive thing I've done to the car aside from the coilovers.
Das Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #1102
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Drives: Better Than You
Looking great! Unfortunately its not a good angle to really show of the awesomeness.

Marvin J. Ashton
xSabretoothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #1103
ViRtUaLheretic
╭∩╮(︶__︶)╭∩╮ haters

Drives: 2009 VW GTI TSI motor
my vote goes for leaving the CF raw! #racecar
Looks good man!!

BTW I use Rhino Ramps that I bought at my local Autozone/Orileys and then I went to Home Depot and bought a 2x8 that I cut to stick out ~`foot in front of the ramps so I can get up without scraping (I also added a small "block" at the back to keep the rhino ramps in place).
I even took a can of plastidip and sprayed the top and bottom for a little bit of extra grip.

Works like a champ!

::APR stage2::BSH -Intake,Mounts,TB Pipe,RSB::Eurojet v1.0 TBE::Whiteline -A.L.K.
::Devils Own DVC-30::Neuspeed -Discharge::BC Racing BR coils::Unibrace -xB & uB
::OSIR::Flik FTD::245x40x17::Porsche 17Z BBK::Bildon Studs::Hawk HPS
Read this for TSI INFO/FAQ
ViRtUaLheretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #1104
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Too dark to get anything good, got one good teaser till daytime tomorrow. Dear lord and all that is holy does it need to come way down lol. I can safely run 2" lower than where it's at now. Ride hight will be determined by splitter to road hight and the corner balance. Just have to finish up the rear spindle and camber/toe arms.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #1105
Fred930
Scirocco MK II Track Car

Drives: 2009 VW GTI 6MT White
If you drop it 2", will you have to raise the steering rack?
Fred930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #1106
Joshohol
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 07 Candy White Gti
2" lower. Here i am thinking about raising the car another inch

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Joshohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #1107
gti2slow
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008 GTI UG 6MT
That rub strip really needs to go.
gti2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #1108
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred930 View Post
If you drop it 2", will you have to raise the steering rack?
There's no way in hell I'd ever go that low lol, was just stating how much room I have now. Will probably go 1" and see where the splitter sits. I'll dial it in from there and then have CPT do the final adjustment with the corner balance. Remember I'm at near stock ride hight right now, literally as high as the Eibachs would allow. I'm changing and have changed every suspension component on the car so the alignment is wack right now. There's a lot of dialing in to do but I won't go low enough I'll have to worry about changing the steering rack or axle slapping frame issues.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #1109
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2slow View Post
That rub strip really needs to go.
Lol, I love how much that bugs you. I'll get it off in due time, just not on the top of the priority list. Especially since it involves bondo and repainting. It's and expensive little thing to remove and the fun fund is pretty much tapped.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 AM   #1110
g60_corrado_91
GolfMkV Elite

Drives: 2006 Candy White GTI Pkg 1 6MT
Project racecar. Build #1

Won't lowering the car too much affect the actual suspension geometry that was intended? I realize your car does not have OEM (to the car) control arms or spindles, but isn't that still something to factor in?

My flickr
g60_corrado_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #1111
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by g60_corrado_91 View Post
Won't lowering the car too much affect the actual suspension geometry that was intended? I realize your car does not have OEM (to the car) control arms or spindles, but isn't that still something to factor in?
Absolutely, too low throws roll center way off. Final ride hight will be determined by corner balance. That's also why I have camber and toe arms and am getting camber plates. I can go lower and correct roll center up to a certain degree.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #1112
bon qui qui
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '06 GTI / '17 Taco
Don't lower it based of splitter height, lower off of the control arm geometry.
bon qui qui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #1113
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon qui qui View Post
Don't lower it based of splitter height, lower off of the control arm geometry.
Oh I'll make sure geometry is correct. The shop thats doing the corner balance specializes in racecars so they know what they're doing. I'll leave that aspect of the build to the guys that do it every day.

Took some pictures before I pet for work today.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #1114
larcic
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2008 Volkswagen GTI 2-Door Wht
:) looking good man
UNITRONIC STAGE 2 HPFP, NEUSPEED INTAKE, EBAY DP, APR HPFP, APR FMIC, BSH CATCH CAN, DIESELGEEK SIGMA SIX SHORT SHIFTER, R8 COILPACKS, CTS B-COOL OIL FILTER HOUSING, KONI SHOCKS/STRUTS, RES DELETE, NEWSOUTH BOOST GAUGE, EURO DASH TRAY, CHROME/ROUND A/C KNOBS
larcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #1115
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Drives: Better Than You
You pet for work? I'm so jealous...

Marvin J. Ashton
xSabretoothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #1116
g60_corrado_91
GolfMkV Elite

Drives: 2006 Candy White GTI Pkg 1 6MT
Hahaha

My flickr
g60_corrado_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #1117
Fred930
Scirocco MK II Track Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Gespenst View Post
There's no way in hell I'd ever go that low lol, was just stating how much room I have now. Will probably go 1" and see where the splitter sits. There's a lot of dialing in to do but I won't go low enough I'll have to worry about changing the steering rack or axle slapping frame issues.
I've generally been told to watch the axles - avoid excessive angles. And per comments earlier in the thread, really low cars are a pain to get on the trailer, especially with $1000 carbon splitters poking out there looking for something to catch on --- not to mention that occasional (inevitable) trip into the gravel trap.

If a race shop is doing your corner balancing, insist they put your equal weight in the drivers seat - or sit in there yourself, if they will let you. And have the battery & average fuel load on-board.

Also remember you can't easily change between older full race (bias ply) tires and radials without camber changes. So best to pick the tire you intend to run, and research their camber & toe settings before going to the alignment shop. And have the tires aired up to their expected hot running pressures.

Being able to do corner balance and alignment at home is nice, but pretty difficult unless you have access to a drive-on rack. Scales, turn plates, and a set of strings are affordable (even better if costs are shared with others), but impracticable unless you can get under the car to make the necessary adjustments.

Check out Road America or Blackhawk events sponsored by the Milwaukee region car clubs (all on MotorsportReg.org). Audi, BMW, and Porsche clubs all have RA dates, and BMW has two event days at Blackhawk. Good people and all do great Novice training (you mentioned your wife is new to track events). But don't wait too long, the Novice groups tend to fill up first and earlier over the past 2 years. PM me if you need more specifics.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #1118
SuperSkyline89
Das Schiesse

Drives: 2008 CW GTI
The doors definitely look better with the fenders on now, you've got a solid black-and-white theme going there

How's the fitment on your driver's seat? I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof
SuperSkyline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #1119
Fred930
Scirocco MK II Track Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkyline89 View Post
I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof
I feel your pain. I'm about 6'2" and don't fit very well in many cars - especially with a cage. For my old Scirocco, I just got a cheap Kirkey aluminum seat and bolted it directly to the floor. Works great for me (sits really low), but not so good for anyone else trying to drive it. Would be nice to have adjustments, I suppose. Maybe next time I build a car .....
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #1120
bon qui qui
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '06 GTI / '17 Taco
What's your plan for wheels?
bon qui qui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #1121
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkyline89 View Post
The doors definitely look better with the fenders on now, you've got a solid black-and-white theme going there

How's the fitment on your driver's seat? I'm having an issue with my seat being too high on the Sparco base and rails. My mechanic's fabricating custom side mounts to get it lower and we're ditching the rails. I was so high in the car my helmet would have touched the roof
Oh yeah, I wasn't too big on the doors before the flares went on. Now the flares are on I actually really dig the look, just need the hood and hatch now. Won't do the hatch till I have a wing sorted and on the car (don't need any less weight in the rear).

I'm running a fixed position base plate for the seat now and it's perfect. However, my wife can barely reach the pedals so we just ordered a new Wedge base plate and double locking sliders so I'll let you know how it is with that installed. Is your seat on the lowest position in the side brackets?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #1122
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon qui qui View Post
What's your plan for wheels?
Sticking with the Rotas, they are the right specs I want to run and crazy light. Don't have any plans of switching those up for a while.