GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions

Old 06-30-2019, 12:58 AM   #221
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
That's a lot of milk.
Wasn't it cheaper to just buy a cow?

A 55 gallon barrel is slightly cheaper but these were in stock and the barrel I would have had delivered. Maybe in a month or two...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #222
clownish
just clowning around

More Clowning Around: R32

Mk5 is having issues. Will pull codes tonight and start into diag.

So far all I know is that at operating temp the check charging system error light (ďred batteryĒ) goes on and climatronic refuses to function. It goes from auto to 50% then dies entirely. Then I canít get it to blow AC at all till the car cools off.

Hoping itís something like an 02 sensor or another sensor - if itís something in the AC assembly it might be my time to do that whole ~2.5k chains/guides/pump/thermostat/valve cover service. Which i donít really want to do.

Edit: looks like itís something with the battery, alternator, starter etc. might be driving the mk6 to work for a few days... must drain or itíll be a hella expensive commute tho.

Last edited by clownish; 07-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.
clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 PM   #223
clownish
just clowning around

Alternator was hitting 11.2 running. Then a few days later 10.7. Stopped driving it. Bought everything. Alternator, pulley, idler, tensioner, hardware, soup to nuts and cocaine. Actually that would have been cheaper. Oh well. 11 year old daily. Guesses on what breaks next?

Old 08-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #224
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08'.:R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownish View Post
Alternator was hitting 11.2 running. Then a few days later 10.7. Stopped driving it. Bought everything. Alternator, pulley, idler, tensioner, hardware, soup to nuts and cocaine. Actually that would have been cheaper. Oh well. 11 year old daily. Guesses on what breaks next?

I had a alternator start fail on vacation down in Santa Monica few yrs ago. That battery/ charging system light while running usually points to it failing. Battery is for starting the motor. Itís pretty expensive alternator As well.
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #225
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
I had a alternator start fail on vacation down in Santa Monica few yrs ago. That battery/ charging system light while running usually points to it failing. Battery is for starting the motor. Itís pretty expensive alternator As well.

Yup it is an expensive alternator. Things are working good again for now at least! I just figured that error light was for anything charging system related so I started from the battery and worked up - new battery so... that was easy. We are in that stage where things will keep on breaking every couple months I think, just from age and wear.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:18 PM   #226
golfballer78
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 08'.:R32
Quote:
Yup it is an expensive alternator. Things are working good again for now at least! I just figured that error light was for anything charging system related so I started from the battery and worked up - new battery so... that was easy. We are in that stage where things will keep on breaking every couple months I think, just from age and wear.

Idk dude, mineís at 240k & not too much going wrong at all. Def had more issues with 2.0t & was glad to get rid of it. My .:R was (& continues to be) well maintained. Gonna run it into the ground rather then get some newer overpriced POS.
golfballer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:36 AM   #227
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballer78 View Post
Idk dude, mineís at 240k & not too much going wrong at all. Def had more issues with 2.0t & was glad to get rid of it. My .:R was (& continues to be) well maintained. Gonna run it into the ground rather then get some newer overpriced POS.

I just keep changing the oil and dsg fluid frequently and listen for drivetrain noises. I like to think mine is pretty well maintained. It still looks casually new. I keep a look out for new headlights tornado red fenders:

Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #228
clownish
just clowning around

New issue. Was so excited about my fixed car I started driving around with the windows down in 95 degree weather. Biking, sweating, using the car. The car got mad and dropped the headliner in the span of two days. I have a huge tent in my roof now. R32 headliners are a discontinued part. Probably half the headliner just entirely let go. So aftermarket aka interior refinish shop or redye an oem piece. Either way. A lot of money for a car Iím starting to not like.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #229
clownish
just clowning around

Got annoyed at the headliner so I put in a headunit to play the muzak. Wireless CarPlay is cool.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #230
clownish
just clowning around

Headliner replaced. Itís not a perfect match but itís close, the pattern and texture is good and itís not a match because itís more black - my interior is a little sun faded since itís 2008...

No more saggy tops. Also replaced a turn signal bulb pair. Hopefully thatís it for maintenance for a while...

Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #231
clownish
just clowning around

Unmmmmmmmm. So I got home from the interior shop, cleaned out the car briefly because they left some crud from the install and pulled the car back into the garage.

And a goddamned light error came on. For a useless ass front parking light bulb, which isnít even enabled in a NA car.

Fuck this thing.

To recap, two wheel bearings, sagging headliner, bad alternator bad turn signal bulb and now this other useless bulb. I have a roll of black electrical tape Iím about to utilize.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #232
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to eurocars
Did you buy a whole headliner or source some fabric
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #233
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
Did you buy a whole headliner or source some fabric

Sourced some fabric because they discontinued black 2 door with sunroof headliners for mk5. There are still other combos but not that particular one - aka no oem mk5 r32 headliners anymore.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #234
avenali312
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Got annoyed at the headliner so I put in a headunit to play the muzak. Wireless CarPlay is cool.
Not sure if it will be an issue or not, but when I went with an aftermarket head unit in my 2006, something to do with the gateway or canbus (it's been a while since the tech explained it to me haha) caused the unit to have a constant, low draw. My battery never lasted more than 2 years.
I don't have pictures or directions, it was pretty neat though.
avenali312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #235
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenali312 View Post
Not sure if it will be an issue or not, but when I went with an aftermarket head unit in my 2006, something to do with the gateway or canbus (it's been a while since the tech explained it to me haha) caused the unit to have a constant, low draw. My battery never lasted more than 2 years.

Hmm. Iíll have to break out the voltmeter and check my can-bus with vsgcom also. I was hoping that most of my issues with canbus would be alleviated by 2008 and newer but youíre right. With all my other little maintenance issues I should double check something that might be self inflicted....

Old 09-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #236
707Stang
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal

Drives: 08 .:R32, 69 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Hmm. Iíll have to break out the voltmeter and check my can-bus with vsgcom also. I was hoping that most of my issues with canbus would be alleviated by 2008 and newer but youíre right. With all my other little maintenance issues I should double check something that might be self inflicted....

I think itís the k-line for that. People that swapped the premium 8 out for an RCD510, RNS-510 or RNS-315 had issues with a draw.

Hopefully I donít have the same issue with the radio I have I need to get installed . The one that has one CD and Apple CarPlay and android auto cant think of the model...

#4982 CW .:R32- stock- -
707Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #237
clownish
just clowning around

Ahh okay. Iíve had a RCD-510 for several years with no issues so I should be okay... that was my thinking anyways. It replaced a OEM+ something something (had Bluetooth but no touchscreen) which replaced the original premium 8

My city light error magically turned off today! Maybe the humidity helped. Loose wiring? Which is probably worse...