GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia > Australian GTG & Events

Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #23
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Drives: Jetta MY07 TDI DSG w. leather
Send a message via Skype™ to Bizi
Would it be worthwhile to try to get a small 'Nthn drive' group together for advanced training at EC sometime?

I enjoy our drives as we are currently doing them but believe it's probably better to leave some of our most enthusiastic cornering moves on the track, rather than test our mods (and our car's and our own abilities) in a safer environment which does not have cliffs, armco, traffic and trees alongside the track. ;)

Such a solution might see us doing 120-30 in corners and some other people in cars with decent RSB mods doing significantly more, Shannon! Because such speeds would not be legal on the roads aside from maybe NT.

Some drives and wine finds here: www.winedriving.com blog AU/NZ wine country
Bizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 AM   #24
funny
VCDS guru & soon Dad x2 !

Drives: Silver DSG MY07 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester_Fu View Post
So after an hour, my tyres should explode?
Sorry. My omission. I forgot that that only applies up to the first 15min. That was from a Bob Jane "handbook" you get when you buy tyres. It's more or less correct for fronts, but not quite for rears (least not ours anyway). A good rule of thumb nevertheless.

Quote:
Street driving even on longer trips shouldn't result in more than 5-6 PSI variation.
You may find left/right variation depending on what you've just done prior to measurement. Still best if you know what the difference is from dead cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode12 View Post
The possibility of the Placebo effect did cross my mind but it does feel like that there is less lag, even the wife noticed it. It could be that the stiffened chassis is allowing the engine with transfer power to the wheels more effectively, rather than being dissipated through as vibration through the chassis.
Still pretty sure it is placebo
Things that affect "lag" apart from the intake/turbo mods include different engine mounts, TAI, anything that improves wheelspin or contact patch.
Stiffening the body should have NO impact bar the slight improvement in suspension which is negligible when talking about lag.
I think you're just getting a little more rev happy!

Quote:
There are several sections on the OPH where the car will bottom out and scrape the lower lip and the car not even lowered.
Usually poor damping (can't control spring compression well enough). Stiffen springs too much and you get a pretty hard ride and/or skittish one.
Only way to know is to do a back to back.

Quote:
Yeah - good company again. Could only keep up in the short tighter twisties (section after Moonie Moonie), the slightly longer flowing ones (after the turn off to Peat's Ridge) where there are longer stretches to accelerate, still scare the $%%^ outta me - I don't trust my skills, brakes and suspension enough.
Fast is fast enough. The rest will come once you take the car at the limit on track.

Quote:
The wife and I would be up for Adv driver training lessons.
Was it through Ian Luff?
Cost?
No, was thru a Canberra mob (Saad is/was in Canberra).
Fifth Gear motoring
http://www.fifthgear.com.au

About mid-higher 200's. Will be less for those who have a valid Wakefield licence ($50 less)
But as I said, need to do ANY level 1 first. Main thing from that is learning what the brakes do (plus how to modulate it in cases like avoiding stationary cars).
Level 2 does the rest of the cornering stuff + car at limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGtSport View Post
Update:

Took rear left tyre off..
Puncture... F@*K!!!!!
its a huge piece of metal

Front left tyre has no punctures :D
Well at least you know it works (TPMS).
GL with the probable new tyre. If you get 2, new ones at front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizi View Post
Would it be worthwhile to try to get a small 'Nthn drive' group together for advanced training at EC sometime?
EC has lots of walls - Wakefield (aka "kiddy track" has none except for front straight which you shouldn't hit). Further to go, but much safer if you go past the car's limit (which i recommend you do, as there's no other safer place to do it!)

funny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 AM   #25
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

Drives: A frog
Brilliant day out, I'll cut & paste the write up from the Porsche Forum in due course, learn't some new things from both cars today!
Attached Images

Capercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 AM   #26
triode12
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Pirelli
Still pretty sure it is placebo
Things that affect "lag" apart from the intake/turbo mods include different engine mounts, TAI, anything that improves wheelspin or contact patch.
Stiffening the body should have NO impact bar the slight improvement in suspension which is negligible when talking about lag.
I think you're just getting a little more rev happy!

Ok - perhaps you are right.

No, was thru a Canberra mob (Saad is/was in Canberra).
Fifth Gear motoring
http://www.fifthgear.com.au

About mid-higher 200's. Will be less for those who have a valid Wakefield licence ($50 less)
But as I said, need to do ANY level 1 first. Main thing from that is learning what the brakes do (plus how to modulate it in cases like avoiding stationary cars).
Level 2 does the rest of the cornering stuff + car at limits.

Just visited their site, what is level 1? Defensive driving?
triode12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #27
funny

Looking forward to the writeup Capercat.

Level 1 = Defensive driving Triode12. Most are essentially the same - with main emphasis being able to come away knowing how to brake hard, some basic info on human reactions to an emergency and accident avoidance. Most will also let you practice accident avoidance as well (I know the Luff one I did at the now non-existant Oran Park).

Level 2 usually works on driving essentials like understanding under/over steer, cornering techniques (speed in/out, early/on/late apex), braking/acceleration control and relation to steering and generally fanging the car at/over the limit.

Level 3 usually track focussed (time, tips & tricks on the track in question).

There's also the drift courses too (not really road useable in fwd).

Like I said though, some people do level 2 w/o level 1 and the learning curve is so steep (because it's hard to test the braking limits when you have to turn and worry about cars behind you) that they don't come away with anywhere near as much as they do having done level 1 beforehand.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 AM   #28
triode12
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by funny View Post
Looking forward to the writeup Capercat.

Level 1 = Defensive driving Triode12. Most are essentially the same - with main emphasis being able to come away knowing how to brake hard, some basic info on human reactions to an emergency and accident avoidance. Most will also let you practice accident avoidance as well (I know the Luff one I did at the now non-existant Oran Park).

Level 2 usually works on driving essentials like understanding under/over steer, cornering techniques (speed in/out, early/on/late apex), braking/acceleration control and relation to steering and generally fanging the car at/over the limit.

Level 3 usually track focussed (time, tips & tricks on the track in question).

There's also the drift courses too (not really road useable in fwd).

Like I said though, some people do level 2 w/o level 1 and the learning curve is so steep (because it's hard to test the braking limits when you have to turn and worry about cars behind you) that they don't come away with anywhere near as much as they do having done level 1 beforehand.
Thanks - in this case, I've actually done a level 1 course before but that was a long time ago. Perhaps I should do it as a refresher.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #29
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Glad you guys had a drive today - isn't the point of this board to post up drives?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 AM   #30
triode12
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizi View Post
Glad you guys had a drive today - isn't the point of this board to post up drives?
Ben,

Rocco did this morning.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=15
Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #31
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Sorry Rocco, my fault for not reading every post. Eek!

I wouldn't have been able to keep up anyway. :D

Old 10-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #32
funny

Sorry for the mega

Fifth gear dates for the advanced course are not yet up. Will see when their dates are like. Triode, if you have don't it before you probably won't need a refresher. You'll just have a go on the day as you have experienced it (heavy brake) before. Instructors jump in your cars anyway.

Will post new thread, so as not to jack this one more, when dates are up. It WILL be a weekday though - no point going down to Wakefield and having to share too much of it with everyone else. $295 at the moment, i think less $50 if you have a wakefield/CAMS licence.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #33
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

Passenger observations RNP:

I mentioned before I drove a TTS with Magna Ride suspension, well I'm now convinced the TTRS with Magna Ride feels different as its more plated in the rear. That's the feeling I was getting in the passenger seat. Well done Audi.

The Audi felt "tricked up" compared to the raw feeling Porsche. As mentioned the Magna Ride suspension did an excellent job in controlling understeer. Having said that there was no disguising where the engine was.

I could feel the nose turn in, Jester used his brakes to effect in order to compose maneuver. (when I trailed him I could see him brake just before turning in where I just released the throttle slightly) I'm not an expert with this chassis so it could have been the new generation Haldex doing its thing...

The cabin has effective sound damping & comfortable interior. Long distance driving shouldn't be a problem.
It's been a while since I've been in a turbo car so I enjoyed hearing the turbo whine again, but I wouldn't go back to a turbo car, well not for a while anyhow. Audi engineers have produced something special considering what they were handed, its a credit to them.

In comparison the Porsche feels organically composed to the "tricked up" Audi. Raw in the sense of suspension, engine & chassis (I must admit Porsche have done something tricky with the brakes)

AWD vs RWD+LSD
RWD + Mechanical clutch plate LSD has an advantage while braking at high speed, because it locks the diff to stabilizes the rear end (great for the track), a true clutch plate LSD has this advantage over those Torque Biasing diffs common in the aftermarket scene. The advantage of TBD is they require no servicing whereas the clutch plates on a LSD will eventually require replacing. TBD's DO NOT function if one wheel is off the ground, even slightly.

I could feel the Audi's AWD Haldex was easier to leap out of the corners compared to the RWD LSD. It takes a lot more skill to find the right timing in putting down power to prevent the rear from coming out in the Porsche. When you do get it right, the rear wheels are locked on traction & its game on! but again it takes a bit more skill on the drivers part... In the Audi it was a case of power down at the apex. I think a DSG TTRS would we amazing as you wouldn't need to think except plant your right foot.

Suspension is basically Struts/springs which have been expertly mated with the chassis. Only complaint is the wheel gap.

Porsche Flat-Six mated with a 6MT is the best in the business! nobody would argue with that. That was the one thing I missed sitting in the Audi's passenger seat.

Chassis basically makes the car what it is, I'm not talking performance, but rather composure. This makes enjoying the car in all circumstances, I guess thats why the Cayman was voted "Best drivers car" even though there are cars out there that will stomp the Cayman for performance.
As a result you hear the sound of that flat-six behind your ears singing away through the cabin (what a waste in optioning the Bose premium sound system )

In conclusion as a passenger the Audi is more comfortable & better suited as a daily/performance driver, whereas the Cayman S is more of a "drivers/track car" so it probably doesn't do much for the passenger except want to drive it...

Scott will no doubt give his impressions.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #34
funny

Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 AM   #35
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

I guess you could get a "tricked up" Porsche aka 997.2 Turbo S 4WD, but that would be cheating

Hey, we forgot to mention the luckiest guy that day, John was his name, he received rides that Dreamworld couldn't offer!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #36
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

The sun will mostly shine tomorrow Sunday. Might be keen for an arvo drive...2pm ok?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #37
triode12
FIA GT Champion

Will be going to Avoca beach in the morning with the wife and dog for a swim.
Might meet up with you guys at Peats Ridge Shops in the arvo if you are heading there.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #38
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

Sea water is pretty cold this time of year, enjoy all the same. Hope weather is fine otherwise no go as not much tread left on the rears.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:00 AM   #39
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

Taking Crocy for a service Friday, then order tires.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #40
Capercat
It's a chuck-about

Met up with some guys from the Porsche open day today. They're keen for the occasional drive.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 AM   #41
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Capercat handed out this forum address to encourage some of the owners/buyers we met today to register and nominate their interest in drives.

Porsche drivers, compare notes with the silver Capercat Cayman S!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #42
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by triode12 View Post
Will be going to Avoca beach in the morning with the wife and dog for a swim.
Might meet up with you guys at Peats Ridge Shops in the arvo if you are heading there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester_Fu View Post
I'm going to Bitter and Twisted Beer/food festival... so will be passing along the Pac tomorrow some time - likely morning. Doubt i'll be back by 2.

I can't believe you didn't buy new tyres for Croccy this week after last weeks effort.
Quick forecast check: 'Partly' cloudy but 70% chance of no rain (but that 30% will all be on OPH, I'd bet).
Quote:
Partly cloudy. The chance of a shower or two. Winds north to northeasterly averaging up to 20 km/h.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #43
funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGtSport View Post
Update: went to tyre place this morning and this is wat was in the tyre... its scary now knowing that i got this before we got to OPH, and i wasnt taking it easy on the drive either :S
Hmm, so you had inch of rubber thickness.
Mate that is one f%^k'n big piece of metal in the tyre. How on earth did you manage that. Not like it's a pointy nail or screw.
2nd Q is, who's key is it!?!?!?
3rd Q - was it a repair or new tyre?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #44
RobGtSport
FIA GT Champion

Drives: VW MY07 R32
Send a message via Yahoo to RobGtSport Send a message via Skype™ to RobGtSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by funny View Post
Hmm, so you had inch of rubber thickness.
Mate that is one f%^k'n big piece of metal in the tyre. How on earth did you manage that. Not like it's a pointy nail or screw.
2nd Q is, who's key is it!?!?!?
3rd Q - was it a repair or new tyre?
I have no idea
i must have run over it when i fuelled up just before OPH

No idea haha its a car key!!!!!

repair :D

Rob
RobGtSport is offline   Reply With Quote