GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia > Australian GTG & Events

Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

Drives: '07 VW Golf GTI 3dr
Canberra GTG

Hi all,

As discussed in the "Moving to Canberra" thread, it would be great to have a GTG once I move down to get to know some of the locals.

The date, at this stage, will be Sunday 7 February. I know nothing about the local roads, so a nice long route that takes us through some nice windy mountain roads would probably fit the bill. So suggestions are welcome (and vital). I guess a route with somewhere we can stop for lunch would be good too.

Also not sure if it's the norm to bring gf's. It's not really the done thing in QLD, but it was common at the WA GTG I went to once, so let me know so I'm not the odd one out!

I'll update this post as the details firm up.

Cheers,
I requested a full-scale print of Marilyn Monroe. I showed the picture to my team and asked if they knew how tall miss Monroe was. Their answers were much taller estimates than she really was. I said she was only 1.6 meters (5ft. 3in.), but her proportions were perfect. Then I told them to go redraw the TT.
'07 VW Golf GTI ||| 3 Door ||| Candy White ||| 6 Speed Manual ||| Anthracite Leather ||| Tint ||| Superchips Bluefin

vwgtimkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2007 3 door GTI, Black
Im in. Will bring GF if shes keen

[Bluefin, VW Racing Shortshifter, Sachs Performance Coilovers, Forge Twintake, 19x8.5 ET46 AMG Replicas, Tints, Projector Fogs
Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit, JL Audio 12" W3 Subwoofer, JL Audio G4500 Amplifier, JL Audio G1700 Subwoofer Amplifier]

[To Come: H&R Sway Bars, BBK, Forge Twintercooler, Milltek Exhaust, HPFP, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 18X8 ET45]

saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Drives: Old and new skool
Should be in for this.

Around Canberra the twisty road thing, unless we go long haul to the Snowy Mtns, isn't terribly lunch friendly. There's a so/so cafe at Tidbinbilla tracking station and some crusty old pies at Tharwa general store and that's about it. There used to be a nice place at Tharwa (Cuppacumbalong), but not sure if it still does lunches, or if it has been turned into a gallery.

GFs are welcome, drive at your own pace which can be as quick or as slow as you like. We'll wait for you, or you'll wait for us, no biggie.

MY80 GTI | MY07 GTI 3dr | MY10 S3 3dr
Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
GTI_racer
Grand Tourer Injection

Drives: 07 GTI
Send a message via MSN to GTI_racer
I should be in too, not too sure about GF

www.steinerit.com
GTI_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Schnitzel Baby
Bright shirt, dull mind

Drives: MK5 Golf GTi
I think I'm right for the 7th. I'll ask my wife if I can bring my GF.
Schnitzel Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

So guys any time and venue decided to meet? Perhaps we start with some breakfast so we can show Steve some of the btter places? Not too early though as Im photographing a wedding on the Saturday night...

[Bluefin, VW Racing Shortshifter, Sachs Performance Coilovers, Forge Twintake, 19x8.5 ET46 AMG Replicas, Tints, Projector Fogs
Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit, JL Audio 12" W3 Subwoofer, JL Audio G4500 Amplifier, JL Audio G1700 Subwoofer Amplifier]

[To Come: H&R Sway Bars, BBK, Forge Twintercooler, Milltek Exhaust, HPFP, Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 18X8 ET45]

Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Kingston Grind does an okay breakfast, but parking is a bit shit (dunno if they open on Sunday either).

Depends if Steve still wants to go for a drive, too. As mentioned the food options are not great if we do Brindabella Road and go on past Tidbinbilla to Tharwa, which could take anywhere from an hour to three hours depending on how much we stop and chinwag.

We can also turn right at Tharwa and head to Apollo Road as well if he likes. Or we could take the road to Corin Dam, although, I can't say I like that road too much. There's too many blind crest/turns to take a number of cars through there I reckon. Plus the road is bumpy as all hell.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #8
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

How about we meet then decide from there? Its not like theres a lot of us so shouldnt be too hard

Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
Schnitzel Baby
Bright shirt, dull mind

Drives: MK5 Golf GTi
Surprise, surprise! Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. We've opted for a wet weekend (no, it's not a euphamism) down the coast. Pity, I was actually looking forward to meeting some of you. Looks like we're destined to be nothing but cyberfriends (don't believe I just said that)
Schnitzel Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

Anyone else out? Maybe reschedule?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Got to Canberra Tuesday morning (the drive to Canberra was a big one!) and instead of delivering our stuff Tuesday like they said they would, the removalists decided to change this to today (if we're lucky). So I've been staying in an empty house, sleeping on an air matress. And I start the new job today. So things are just going woooooonderfully.

Anyways, I've tried a few places closeby, like Silos, Kingston Grind, and Portia's in Kingston. Kingston grind did, indeed, have fantastic coffee and the chicken and bacon melt was delicious. I think this might just be my local haunt.

So I'm still fine for Sunday if everyone else is. Why don't we have breakfast somewhere before the drive, or lunch somewhere after? At least that will give me a chance to meet some of you guys and put faces to names.

I've never been a fan of having the GTG section all by itself, since you have to be looking for a GTG to know one is on. I wonder if we should post in the main section to garner more interest?

Cheers,
I requested a full-scale print of Marilyn Monroe. I showed the picture to my team and asked if they knew how tall miss Monroe was. Their answers were much taller estimates than she really was. I said she was only 1.6 meters (5ft. 3in.), but her proportions were perfect. Then I told them to go redraw the TT.
'07 VW Golf GTI ||| 3 Door ||| Candy White ||| 6 Speed Manual ||| Anthracite Leather ||| Tint ||| Superchips Bluefin

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

I completely agree with your GTG section point, maybe do post in the main forum? However, as happened to me once, certain members objected and said to move the thread. Meh who cares

Old 02-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #13
GTI_racer
Grand Tourer Injection

Drives: 07 GTI
Send a message via MSN to GTI_racer
I'm out for this weekend, my colour code is taking longer than expected.

www.steinerit.com
GTI_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

Perhaps we should delay it for a couple of weeks to hopefully give others the chance to join?

Cheers,

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Kirium
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2006 VW Golf GTI
I might come out if the weather is better than it was today. Bridgestone RE001's and wet roads do not make for an enjoyable drive... Will probably be the last outing for the MkV.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

Ok guys, 10am at the Kingston grind?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #17
Lima
Vorsprung durch technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtimkv View Post
Perhaps we should delay it for a couple of weeks to hopefully give others the chance to join?

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by saad View Post
Ok guys, 10am at the Kingston grind?
Happy to postpone, although I will be out next weekend, and possibly the following one as well.

Can still make tomorrow too, if it goes ahead.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #18
Kirium
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2006 VW Golf GTI
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #19
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

I dunno. I guess we could go for a short one tomorrow morning. I'll figure it out soon and post here and PM everyone. Hope everyone is still good for 10am.

Cheers,

Old 02-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #20
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

Just a shirt hello thn and a quick blast around otter then? 10am?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #21
vwgtimkv
Out of love for the car

Let's go with yes. Moving down has been a nightmare and I'm a bit all over the place atm. We can have a quick hello tomoz and then a proper, better organised meet in about a month when I've got my shit sorted.

Cheers,

Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #22
saad
Formula 5000 Driver

Runnin 10 mins late ont go without me!