GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia
CTS Turbo

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Jethro41
Volkswagenista!!

Drives: ^ Gretel
Replacement Air Conditioning Compressor

Well what I thought was an aux belt tensioning issue turned into a dead air conditioning compressor with a simple popping sound late this afternoon. (still to be verified by an AC tech...but looks very likely)

Always new Gretel was hot, but man she really is hot now...

I presume the bearing or something has let go and I cannot see how I would not be up for a replacement compressor.

Do we all still go out and buy them from our local dealer (at the cost of one fresh testicle and one first born child), or is there a reconditioned replacement option these days?

I went on to ECS tuning and have a price of apporximately $460, but I'll need to add freight to that.

Anyone know of a more realistic approach here in Oz?

Thanks in avance for your collective consideration.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Booba
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MY08 Golf GTI MKV
I have seen cheaper oem units on ebay. You will probably want to replace the condenser as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #3
eek
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: DBP MKV R32 DSG
I had something similar happen to my Merc. AC compressor shat itself and put metal shavings all into the AC system. Ended up needing all soft lines replaced, hard lines flushed, new evaporator, receiver/dryer, condensor and TX valve and compressor. All up including labour came to about $3.5K. It was not fun at all!

You would at least need a receiver dryer replaced to catch and gunk and moisture that could have been floating around inside.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Jethro41
Volkswagenista!!

Hmmm... thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Got it booked in to an AC dude as soon as I come back from Melbourne, so we'll see what eventuates.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
macad
apple pixel pusher

Drives: Golf GTI DSG Sat Nav Leather
Had mine replaced - it's not as simple as just replacing the compressor. Mine cost $2200 - plus both radiator fans which added $1000 to the bill - ouch!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
Jethro41
Volkswagenista!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macad View Post
Had mine replaced - it's not as simple as just replacing the compressor. Mine cost $2200 - plus both radiator fans which added $1000 to the bill - ouch!
Thanks Mac,

Just got the quote back today..... new compressor, complete service of whole system and replace two valves $1600 ... Air con dude said clutch in compressor had died...and I was very lucky it did not dump metal into the system.

Seems you just can't replace the clutch in our compressors, you have to go the whole compressor.

I must have went white when he told me about bits of metal being dumped into the system and I asked him for a ball park figure of what we'd be looking at...he just sucked in air through his teeth and said "best not to think about that until we look at it"

I presume it wouldn't be a pretty number....
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
macad
apple pixel pusher

Yeah I think you have to flush the system for 4-5 hours to clear the debris.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Candy White James
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Candy White Golf MKV Gti DSG
Hey guys, sorry to hijack the thread but I have just bought a MK5 Gti and am having aircon related problems. My symptons are no cold air through the vents, faint whining noise from the engine bay on the passenger side, very weak flow of air (even on full power Id have to have my hand up at a vent to feel it). Does this all point to the air con compressor or something else? Thanks!
Candy White James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
macad
apple pixel pusher

Yep, see the link below. I found replacement compressors where far cheaper in the UK, unfortunately mine died with an Australian summer looming so I had to take the saftest most expensive route.

http://www.my-gti.com/1038/volkswage...ressor-failure
Old 03-19-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
Candy White James
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Candy White Golf MKV Gti DSG
Thanks for the great link mate - is the ac compressor likely to be the reason for low blower strength too?
Candy White James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Jethro41
Volkswagenista!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy White James View Post
Thanks for the great link mate - is the ac compressor likely to be the reason for low blower strength too?
No hijack there... it is a great link is it not? I have always found that site very handy.

What's more I think it belongs to a member of this forum (or at least someone who used to be a regular on here)

Hey!!... Old Guys!!...is that maverick's site?

Just a word of advice on your AC...If you suspect the compressor is gone or going, switch your AC off and do not use it again until you have replaced the compressor.

As you've probably read above, I am the luckiest dude alive because I immediately shut it down as soon as I heard it go and consequently it has not transported metal bits all through out my system....

Apparently it is eye-wateringly expensive to fix once you get metal bits in your system.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Jethro41
Volkswagenista!!

Forgot to update post fix... ended up costing me 1330 clams for a new compressor, replacement labour and a full AC service with all the gubbins that needed replacing replaced.

It's as cold as all get out now, coolest AC of any of the Golfs I've owned.

Look in the RVM the other day and spotted penguins chasing me down the road wanting to get in.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Booba
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MY08 Golf GTI MKV
Good work, I like penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro41 View Post
Forgot to update post fix... ended up costing me 1330 clams for a new compressor, replacement labour and a full AC service with all the gubbins that needed replacing replaced.

It's as cold as all get out now, coolest AC of any of the Golfs I've owned.

Look in the RVM the other day and spotted penguins chasing me down the road wanting to get in.