GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions
Ringer Racing

Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Spectre
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '07 CW GTI DSG
Ran over a water cover thingy

As the title states. I smoked one of those cast iron water cover thingys you find in the middle of the road. Broke off chunks of my subframe and tore off the exhaust hangers. Then it smashed my exhaust piping back by the muffler. Gonna try and get an APR turbo back system out of it.

Also fucked up a dude's E36 ///M3. He hit it first. His shit was all tore up. Fender liner hanging out, popped the right side air bag. Bent a rim. Tore off his exhaust.

Cars were scattering behind me. That shit went flying. I was hoping it hit my tranny cause I need a new mech unit.
Spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
Teezy_GP
UNI_fied G5

Drives: 2008 MKV UG GTI
insurance claim? ...
thats hectic man .. hit a pothole once, burst a tyre, threw the car into the paving .. was not fun at all ..

UNITRONIC Stage 2HPFP
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185703
Teezy_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Spectre

Yeah. I filed a claim. Getting the estimate today.
Filed a police report. I will get my deductible back too from DeKalb Country since it was their fault.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Rude Jr
Drummer for Subject 16

Drives: 2012 GTI
Jesus...

Good luck with everything!

from sent tapatalk iPhone my using.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Spectre

Thanks. I'll be straight. Car drives fine. Just need the exhaust fixed. Not going to replace the subframe. Gonna use that money for a tune maybe.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Spectre

Insurance gave me $3500 (roughly). All I'm going to use it for its the rear section of the exhaust. Cause it's pretty fucked up.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Audiopulse
Gotta Jibboo

Drives: 2007 Volkswagen GTI
Send a message via Skype™ to Audiopulse
Please explain what a "water cover thingy" is lol. I really don't know what you're talking about. You have a picture?
DM Stage 2+ / Autotech HPFP / CTS Turbo Intake / CTS Turbo downpipe / Borla Catback / Koni Yellows / H&R Super Sport Springs / H&R RSB / BSH PCV fix / BSH pendulum mount / Godspeed FMIC / R8 coil packs / GFB DV+ / Miro 111's / NSP Boost gauge/ OEM Euro lip / OEM Euro headlight switch / 3000k HID projector fogs / open fog covers / black side markers / yellow FTPs / 35% tint / OEM tinted tails / Vagcom / other small stuff
Audiopulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiopulse View Post
Please explain what a "water cover thingy" is lol. I really don't know what you're talking about. You have a picture?
Yeah but I don't feel like uploading them. I'm a lazy bastard.

It's like a tiny manhole cover that sits in the middle of the road. It's cast iron and weighs about 15 pounds I'd say. It's about 6 inches in diameter and says "Water" on the top. But it looks like a miniature manhole cover.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
Audiopulse
Gotta Jibboo

I think I know what you're talking about now. They're usually blue, right? But how could one of those cause so much damage? I still don't get it, was it sticking really far up from the ground?
DM Stage 2+ / Autotech HPFP / CTS Turbo Intake / CTS Turbo downpipe / Borla Catback / Koni Yellows / H&R Super Sport Springs / H&R RSB / BSH PCV fix / BSH pendulum mount / Godspeed FMIC / R8 coil packs / GFB DV+ / Miro 111's / NSP Boost gauge/ OEM Euro lip / OEM Euro headlight switch / 3000k HID projector fogs / open fog covers / black side markers / yellow FTPs / 35% tint / OEM tinted tails / Vagcom / other small stuff
Old 05-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Spectre

The adjuster gave me money for all the plastic coverings, respray of the underbody, a new fuel tank (barely can see a scuff), new exhaust (rear section), heat shield, crossmember, subframe, alignment, exhaust hangers. All kinds of shit. Way more than I was expecting. He hooked it up. I was very surprised. Anything that looked damaged they gave me money for. All my plastic shit was already fucked up but I'll take it! Like I said, the only thing I want is the new exhaust.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Spectre

Quote:
I think I know what you're talking about now. They're usually blue, right? But how could one of those cause so much damage? I still don't get it, was it sticking really far up from the ground?
Yes they are painted blue.

It was sticking up and I caught it with the subframe. It was like half in and half out. Fucking thing is solid. Imagine hitting one of those 15lb iron dumbells at 50 m.p.h. and have it bounce around down under the car.

It shot out the back and went flying down the road until it bounced into a ditch. My car is so low it was just catching on shit.

I'll get my deductible back after they collect from subrogation too so that's sweet.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
Audiopulse
Gotta Jibboo

Damn that sucks. It must of been sticking out of the ground a good 3'' at least? Stories like this make me glad I didn't go lower than sport springs.. especially with these shit roads around Milwaukee...
Old 05-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Audiopulse
Gotta Jibboo

At least you get some new stuff out of it so that's nice :)
Old 05-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #14
Spectre

Quote:
Damn that sucks. It must of been sticking out of the ground a good 3'' at least? Stories like this make me glad I didn't go lower than sport springs.. especially with these shit roads around Milwaukee...
Doesn't suck at all dude. I'm stoked!