GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes sponsored by The Tire Rack

Support GolfMKV by clicking this link to do your tirerack shopping, THANKS!

Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Drives: 07 GTI MK5 6MT
Brake Pad Choices for Stoptech Big Brake Kit?

I have been running the Stoptech ST-40 Big Brake kit for years and quite happy with its stopping performance and pedal modulation.

However, the current pads I use create a ton of brake dust and squeak badly, which cakes up my calipers quickly and prevents the pads from sliding freely. This means they require cleaning every month.

The pads material themselves also cake up my wheels and pretty much bakes themselves into the clear coat. Very hard to clean even with the best wheel cleaner. Basically, the surface of the wheel hit with the brake dust has turned hard and dark black in colour and has an orange peel texture.

The pads are the Endless ME20 brake pads: https://endless-brake.info/products/...g/me-n-series/

Does anyone have a better recommendation of brake pads for this big brake kit? Is there some extra prep I am missing with the Stoptech big brake kit?
Old 09-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Carfreak226
Detailer Extraordinaire

Drives: 07 BMP GTI
Porterfield R4-S pads. Use them on all my vehicles, track or not, including my Stoptech equipped GTI.
Race setup = DM K04+ file, APR HPFP, 245/40/17 tires, DSG w/Wavetrac, full race tbe, GC camber plates, Stoptech BBK, H&R 24mm rsb, AST w/Swift springs, BSH mounts, Recaro Profi's w/rear seat delete, Nardi 350mm, IE FSD IC, Voltphreaks batt, W.A.L.K., inlet/discharge pipes, BFI CC, EVOMS CAI, PTP Turbo Blanket, Golf R Map, RS4 RV, Mocal oil cooler.
Carfreak226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuus View Post
I have been running the Stoptech ST-40 Big Brake kit for years and quite happy with its stopping performance and pedal modulation.

However, the current pads I use create a ton of brake dust and squeak badly, which cakes up my calipers quickly and prevents the pads from sliding freely. This means they require cleaning every month.

The pads material themselves also cake up my wheels and pretty much bakes themselves into the clear coat. Very hard to clean even with the best wheel cleaner. Basically, the surface of the wheel hit with the brake dust has turned hard and dark black in colour and has an orange peel texture.

The pads are the Endless ME20 brake pads: https://endless-brake.info/products/...g/me-n-series/

Does anyone have a better recommendation of brake pads for this big brake kit? Is there some extra prep I am missing with the Stoptech big brake kit?
ME 20 like most track pads will squeal and provide heavy dust that should be cleaned up frequently as in weekly or more if you are going to drive them on the street. If you are going to stay Endless, I really liked MX-72 compound for street. Still a big improvement over OEM with only slight increase in dust over oem.

I would recommend you get some street pads of some brand, less dust, less noise and enough stopping power. Plus first couple of stops when cold is important and ME20 ha tos reach a higher operating temp before they bite normally which is 300F. Good street pads don't need to warm up much and work fine as soon as they hit 100F/150F. So if your first or second stop of the day is a panic stop, they are there for you.

Last edited by GIACUser; 09-03-2019 at 07:45 PM.
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carfreak226 View Post
Porterfield R4-S pads. Use them on all my vehicles, track or not, including my Stoptech equipped GTI.
How is the initial bite on these? What about noise and ease of cleaning off brake dust?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
ME 20 like most track pads will squeal and provide heavy dust that should be cleaned up frequently as in weekly or more if you are going to drive them on the street. If you are going to stay Endless, I really liked MX-72 compound for street. Still a big improvement over OEM with only slight increase in dust over oem.

I would recommend you get some street pads of some brand, less dust, less noise and enough stopping power. Plus first couple of stops when cold is important and ME20 ha tos reach a higher operating temp before they bite normally which is 300F. Good street pads don't need to warm up much and work fine as soon as they hit 100F/150F. So if your first or second stop of the day is a panic stop, they are there for you.
I contacted Endless about this and they also could not recommed ME 20 for use on the street due to the hard compound. Initially I went with these pads since some users on a Porsche forum were very happy about their lack of noise and great performance, but my experience seems to differ.

Definitely not partial to Endless. Do you have a recommendation for a pad for street use?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #6
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
I contacted Endless about this and they also could not recommed ME 20 for use on the street due to the hard compound. Initially I went with these pads since some users on a Porsche forum were very happy about their lack of noise and great performance, but my experience seems to differ.

Definitely not partial to Endless. Do you have a recommendation for a pad for street use?
For street use I have used Hawk HPS 5.0 a lot. Not as expensive as Endless, I have used both Endless MX72 and MXRS for street and they are very nice but also very expensive (probably well under 200 for a front set). Right now I have Hawk HPS 5.0 pads all around on my 18z Brembo setup. Only driven the car briefly but they are great. For the track I am going with full race G-LOC pads.

For street, with those nice ST-40 calipers you don't really need track pads.

Last edited by GIACUser; 09-05-2019 at 01:23 AM.
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Quote:
For street use I have used Hawk HPS 5.0 a lot. Not as expensive as Endless, I have used both Endless MX72 and MXRS for street and they are very nice but also very expensive (probably well under 200 for a front set). Right now I have Hawk HPS 5.0 pads all around on my 18z Brembo setup. Only driven the car briefly but they are great. For the track I am going with full race G-LOC pads.

For street, with those nice ST-40 calipers you don't really need track pads.
How do the HPS 5.0 compare to HPS Plus? Those are the only Hawk pads I tried before.

I am happy with the performance of the ME20 but it's too bad that they are hard to live with for the noise and dust.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
How do the HPS 5.0 compare to HPS Plus? Those are the only Hawk pads I tried before.

I am happy with the performance of the ME20 but it's too bad that they are hard to live with for the noise and dust.
I have run HP+ and they are noisy and dusty, not a good street pad. They have a much higher friction coefficient and were good enough for some casual track work if you are not overly hard on your brakes but not a good street pad. Same issues you are having with the ME20s.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
HP+ produce so much dust. So much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Guys, I just spent another 2 hours trying to clean the caked on/cured brake dust from my Endless ME20 pads again. I am making some progress but it's almost impossible and I have been using Sonax wheel cleaner and that AutoGlym Magma cleaner as well. At this point it's not even dust, it's like a protective coating of brake pad material!

I am going to remove the two front wheels and try to cleaner them off the car.

Going to order a set of HPS 5.0 hoping I don't have to spend this much time cleaning the wheels every few months.

Last edited by Perpetuus; 10-17-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Perpetuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
Guys, I just spent another 2 hours trying to clean the caked on/cured brake dust from my Endless ME20 pads again. I am making some progress but it's almost impossible and I have been using Sonax wheel cleaner and that AutoGlym Magma cleaner as well. At this point it's not even dust, it's like a protective coating of brake pad material!

I am going to remove the two front wheels and try to cleaner them off the car.

Going to order a set of HPS 5.0 hoping I don't have to spend this much time cleaning the wheels every few months.

Try using this, should cut right through it. You can do by hand with rag or get one of those Mothers polishing attachments for your drill.

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #12
Perpetuus
Data Encryption

Quote:
Try using this, should cut right through it. You can do by hand with rag or get one of those Mothers polishing attachments for your drill.

Thanks, will definitely give it a try!

Looks like the Meguiar's stuff is hard to find here in Canada. Amazon sells it but wants $40 a bottle!

Bought some Turtle wax rubbing compound - hopefully it will work just as well.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #13
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Quote:
Thanks, will definitely give it a try!

Looks like the Meguiar's stuff is hard to find here in Canada. Amazon sells it but wants $40 a bottle!

Bought some Turtle wax rubbing compound - hopefully it will work just as well.

Should work fine