GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Make sure to check your oil level frequently!

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
how do I read dip sticks? (sorry i know i'm a n00b),

engine off for at least 10min or so
on level surface
pull dipstick out, wipe off the entire tip with clean rag/papertowel
reinsert dipstick completely
pull out again, to take reading
it should fall somewhere in the hash marks
the difference between min and max is about 1qt
if you need to add oil, do it a little bit at a time
overfilling is just as bad as too little oil
wait a couple minutes before rechecking after adding oil

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
yes this is good info, but anyone that doensn't know they should be checking their oil frequently...regardless of what kind of car they drive...is just retarded.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Weird. I thought someone resurrected my thread when I first seen the title. I posted nearly the same exact thing about 2 years ago. Good looking out Dan. I mean...repost.:biggrin: I kid, I kid.

Never mind. It was just a trip down memory lane for me. Except when I said it, the site was new and we were all a bunch of GTI newbs talking about things we didn't know much about yet, in our newb terminology. This site sure has came a long way. Think someone even debated me for saying the GTI drinks oil back then.

Edit: Found it...http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2058&highlight=check+oil

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Mods,
Can we sticky this in an engine thread or DIY/maintenance thread?
It gets annoying watching the same issue always pop up & this thread has some good info.

tanks

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Sure. Good idea. But there'll still be multiple threads started about it even after its' stickied. :wink:

*goes to move and sticky*

JODZ

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm 40 miles shy of 5K, just checked it yesterday and I was 1qt low. Question, has anyone checked their oil level when they 1st got their car? Is it possible that VW didn't fill oil to the max line? Or is it that we all really burn about 1 qt of oil in 5K? Just curious if anyone has verified this? Mike

TEABAG

GTI Bunny hopper
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV CW 2.0T
how do I read dip sticks? (sorry i know i'm a n00b), last night when I checked, the there was oil at where it says MAX so I assume my engine has enough oil right now? I just had a major service 2000km's ago

:laughabove: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: I love your quote!!!

Well I'm a noob here to whe n it comes to checking engine parts and stuff. I should start checking my engine oil more often, I remember my last oil change....my car felt like new.......So let's keep an eye on the oil.....VW's are well known oil burners...:frown:

james.bigouette

Officially boring
I never reall thought of this untill i was on my 6,000th mile with still 4,000 miles to go before and oil change and i read this thread. Thank god i did i was down a whole quart. Thanks to all the educated VW guys that write these threads

dwdrums

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI 2-door
I just hit 1000 miles, I'll check it and see how high VW had it. (assuming a lot didn't burn off on me yet). hang on..

eddmkv

RIDE TILL I DIE
so how often do u guys change ur oil, it seems like no one follows the vw service list at first 5k then every 10k....

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
I'm 40 miles shy of 5K, just checked it yesterday and I was 1qt low. Question, has anyone checked their oil level when they 1st got their car? Is it possible that VW didn't fill oil to the max line? Or is it that we all really burn about 1 qt of oil in 5K? Just curious if anyone has verified this? Mike

While I can't speak for your car, mine had the proper/full amount of oil the first time I checked...and well, it still does, so I guess VW filled it up right. :wink: :thumbsup:

On a side note, with an old car of mine I had an oil change done once and checked the level after I got home and it was down over a qt...needless to say I ended up driving back there and gettting them to properly top it up :wink: Sooo I'd recommend to always check your oil level after getting a service done, to make sure they filled it properly :thumbsup:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
i follow the VW guidelines...however I don't track my car or drive in the desert or the tundra

Haha, this reminds me of that other oil time thread.

3,000 for me. Maybe overkill, but I drive a lot of stop and go traffic and AutoX it.