GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG 5 liters? Mine only holds 4.5 and change

Billiam

Far Fig Newton
Car(s)
'07 GTi
Vehicle is a 2007 GTI, 2.0 FSI, eng. code BPY, DSG Tiptronic transmission

This is the second time Ive changed my own fluid. The Bentley Manual for this model describes the process in section 34b-5 through 34b-8. Accordingly the change should be 5 liters but you add 5.5, then drain out the excess during the procedure. Heres a quick overview of what I did.
Tools:
-VCDS to measure fluid temp
-VAS 6262 fill adapter(mine is an aftermarket Schwaben equivqlent)
-14 mm hex key socket for plug
-8 mm hex key socket
-24 mm socket for filter housing
-torque wrench

*Car level 'horizontal' (Can you picture a guy trying to level his car vertically?)
* Start engine, get fluid temp 35-45° C, shut off the engine
* Remove battery and tray, loosen filter housing, remove, clean housing, change filter suction collar down of course(I always immerse the entire filter in fluid before install), coat the o-rings, and torque the housing to 15 ft/lbs.

* Remove drain plug and overfill tube to drain about 5 liters of fluid onto the garage floor
* Reinstall the overfill tube, torque 27 in./lbs
* Connect filler adapter tool
* Add 5.5 liters and keep the tool connected
* Start the engine
* With vehicle immobilized, shift once between each selector position(remain in each position for 3 seconds before shifting to the next)
* Warm the fluid to 35-45°C before draining overfill
* With engine still running disconnect the filler part B(hose to bottle connector) but leave part A(the drain plug adapter)in place.
* Drain excess until dripping, disregard intermittent clutch pulse surges
* Remove adapter A, install plug w/new washer, torque 35 ft./lbs
* Turn off the engine and drink a Beer
* So I've done all this except the beer(still swabbing the garage floor)

Problem: I actually measured the fluid first removed(4.0 liters)
* I measured the overfill that was drained(1.2 liters)
* I.e. My fluid change was about 4.3 liters
An obvious suspect would be the overfill tube wasn't fully seated but I made certain it was. No question.

Am I underfilled?
Did I miss something other than the beer?
Should I add .7 liter?
Should I drink the beer before the whole procedure?

Any help would be appreciated, even rhetoric.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
Billiam
Not speaking from experience because I have my fluid changed at the dealership. That being said, here is very good YouTube video from an owner that is doing it with the top fill (filter port fill) method. He discusses quantities and ends up pretty close to where you are now. The steps that grab me are your "* Reinstall the overfill tube, torque 27 in./lbs" whereas he expresses this as "Finger tight, you don't want to crack that plastic tube. You should be able to unscrew it with your fingers". If the tube is damaged, excess fluid would drain out... I watched a couple of these videos and everybody starts with 5 liters not 5.5 so...Here watch it and see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA to clarify, You removed 4 liters and filled to 5.5 liters then drained 1.2 liters excess?

Billiam

Far Fig Newton
Car(s)
'07 GTi
Thank you for that.

Billiam
Not speaking from experience because I have my fluid changed at the dealership. That being said, here is very good YouTube video from an owner that is doing it with the top fill (filter port fill) method. He discusses quantities and ends up pretty close to where you are now. The steps that grab me are your "* Reinstall the overfill tube, torque 27 in./lbs" whereas he expresses this as "Finger tight, you don't want to crack that plastic tube. You should be able to unscrew it with your fingers". If the tube is damaged, excess fluid would drain out... I watched a couple of these videos and everybody starts with 5 liters not 5.5 so...Here watch it and see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA to clarify, You removed 4 liters and filled to 5.5 liters then drained 1.2 liters excess?

I have watched that video and others. They all concur with what youre saying and the finger tight suggestion is a prudent one although im quite sure i could over torque with my fingers. 27 inch pounds is surprising little. Im not convinced 5 liters is an overfill and even if so how that would create a problem. These transmissions are notoriously noisy. The solution for some transmissions with the same issues has been a 1 liter overfill with no detrimental effects. Im not qualified to make that detrmination but its an idea. Maybe I should give it a try. Its my wife's car anyhow. If it causes problems I'll blame it on her. She doesnt read this forum. Thanks for your reply.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I have watched that video and others. They all concur with what youre saying and the finger tight suggestion is a prudent one although im quite sure i could over torque with my fingers. 27 inch pounds is surprising little. Im not convinced 5 liters is an overfill and even if so how that would create a problem. These transmissions are notoriously noisy. The solution for some transmissions with the same issues has been a 1 liter overfill with no detrimental effects. Im not qualified to make that detrmination but its an idea. Maybe I should give it a try. Its my wife's car anyhow. If it causes problems I'll blame it on her. She doesnt read this forum. Thanks for your reply.

Dude just fill from the top hole like he said. Even Walmart makes a liter funnel that attaches perfectly to the filter hole. This method doesn’t waste allot of expensive gear lube.

Stenosis

I just did mine, bottom fill, drained about 4 liters, filled with 5. Ran through gears, drained about 8oz=.23 liters. So, mine is filled about 4.75 liters and very happy. I'm not 100% sure, as records from previous owner are sketchy because he's no longer with us, but believe this was only the second DSG service performed in 202K miles. First DSG service record indicates at 53K.

I did not mess with measuring temp - think +/- tolerance of fill lever is not that critical, otherwise the fine German engineers would have put a dip stick, or a proper sensor.

It's going to be top fill next time for me. Bottom fill is quick, as long as you poke holes in the bottles, but messy.

Cheers!

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Top is quick enough when you warm up the liter bottles 1st. They can sit in sunlight, or heat gun or something. It flows thru that small hole easier.