GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

120k Maintenance 2008.5 DSG

bigmahlman

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm gonna hit the big 120k mark this week. I know that the DSG fluid/filter needs changed and I'm gonna have to take that into a shop unless its not as hard as it looks. What other DIY maintenance should I preform instead of paying way to much for the shop to do it?

Also I got the car at 78k they said that did all new fluids and filters and it was up to date for 80k when I got it. But I have no proof and no proof it was even done at 40k. I have heard that if you have never changed Transmission fluid you should not do it at high millage? Is this true at all? is this true for DSGs?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
What? You're supposed to let that fluid sit? Never heard of that. But you're at the right time to change it. It isn't a hard job, and materials (fluid and filter etc) run about $110. I wouldn't pay $400 for it, but around 200. I'd also do plugs, cabin filter, fuel filter, cam follower, oí and filterl change, tire rotation, possibly ignition coils. Inspect brake pads and rotors, also check tires etc.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Thanks,
Maybe I'll get inspired and do it myself. Almost everything else is good. Spark plugs / coils should be easy enough.

Just get a cheap mechanics tool set and start doing the basic stuff. It's good experience and everyone has to start somewhere.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
DSG service requires at the very least VAGCOM, it's not hard at all but is unbelievably important to do right. On traditional automatics you are correct to a degree, if fluid has never been flushed/changed its bad to flush them. The metal/material in the fluid from over the years fills the gaps on worn parts. So when flushed and all that debris is pulled out they usually burn out shortly after. The DSG needs to be serviced every 40k and I can't stress enough how important that is.

The rest is easy stuff you can do on your own. Most of the 120k service stuff has DIY's either here on MKV or other websites. I would search everything that is done on the 120k service and do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Edit: The single most important maintenence item on your car at this point is your timing chain tensioner. I'm not trying to scare you but you are driving a ticking time bomb if it has never been done before. That and the DSG service should be top priority at this point. I would get the tensioner done asap.

bigmahlman

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyway I can tell if someone has done the timing chain tensioner?

edit
just realized I did do DSG fluid at 88k when I had my water pump replaced. But no notes about checking the tensioner?

I try and do as much stuff as I can, everything on the 120k list other than the Transmission I wont have problems with. Just kind of scares me!

Last edited:

alvincwm

Just curious about the cam follower and high pressure fuel pump...is it advisable to replace the HPFP when replacing the cam follower. How often should you replace the both of them?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
If you have a TSI no need to worry about the cam follower, if you have an FSI you would only need to replace the cam follower. I think you can have a look at the tensioner by removing a cap on the side engine if you have a TSI and see if yours is a new revision or not.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Tsi roller cam followers do fail as well as Hpfp just not as often as the Fsi.

alvincwm

If you have a TSI no need to worry about the cam follower, if you have an FSI you would only need to replace the cam follower. I think you can have a look at the tensioner by removing a cap on the side engine if you have a TSI and see if yours is a new revision or not.

Ok thanks so much. How often should you replace the cam follower then? I just bought a used 08 gti with fsi that has 93k miles on it. The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and cam follower around 71k. The car is also fully stock. Should I replace the cam follower soon?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Tsi roller cam followers do fail as well as Hpfp just not as often as the Fsi.

Didn't know.

If it's FSI then don't worry about the tensioner but I think you should replace the timing belt if that wasn't done at 88k miles with your water pump and eventually the cam chain if you hear strange noises at startup.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Ok so its FSI, did you just buy this GTI if so pull the Hpfp and take a look at it and the cam lobe wear and the Hpfp "piston" that rides inside follower. Post good clear pictures and we can give an opinion on what we see. There is no maintenance schedule for these parts but for a stock engine checking CF every 40k is ok, modified tuned cars usually check at ever 10k or so. Best practice is to install a new CF and check at ever oil change until you get an idea how long you can safely go.