GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

Boosty

Ready to race!
I think it was yes. It's a very stealthy part, if you didn't know to look for it you'd think the car came with it. I didn't want to install gauge pods and ruin the OEM look of the interior, or attract any attention from other drivers or the police, so it does that really well.
------cut------

Thanks for the reply , I've always been big on a clean interior , especially clean leather. Nothing is more comfortable than soft supple leather. I guess you testimony is good enough..i personally don't own any equipment to wash my car my self put side of hand wash places where you pay 1$ for a few minutes of water and another for the foam but the ammo products look good..aside from the interior i wanted to use their wax , I've been thinking lately since my car is also cw and is shiny as is ,what the point is for waxing but seeing your pics your paints as reflective as glass

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Got rid of the GTI and 2.0 FSI badges today. Wasn't much left over from the 2.0 FSI badge but the paint around the GTI badge is pretty rough, going to polish the whole hatch tomorrow.

I'm almost done with my cars rear end, just needs some work on the spoiler and valance to be 100%.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Nice interior! Where'd you get the red armrest stitching? Did you have an upholsterer do it?

I didn't think the ED30 had those.

Thanks.

I had it upholstered last summer. The shop I went to didn't do a very good job though, and I've changed my mind on the colour scheme I want to go with inside, so I'm going to have it redone at another shop I found along with the shifter, handbrake, and eventually other parts.

Boosty

Ready to race!
Still jealous of your cf console lol

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Four months and 22 days in the making, I HAVE MY WHEELS!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Ordered on December 30, 2013. Volk Racing TE37 Tokyo Time Attack. 18 x 8.5, et45, 5x112. Speced to clear a StopTech 6-piston BBK.

Kics Dual Phase System wheel bolts. They have a key to screw in the bolt and another 3-pin key to screw in a lock cap. Enough for all 20 bolts on the car.

And of course Volk Racing GT Center Caps. Stock was low so I only have two right now but the other two will be here in a week of two. Wheels aren't going on for at least a month though so no big deal.

Unboxing . . .

Last edited:

goneD4rk

Banned

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Dude those are legit.

:word: didn't know rays were made in japan, like many other legit things.
:wub::wub:

Thanks guys :smile:

I took them to my mechanic today, he flipped out when he saw how light they were. We put one on a bathroom scale and it was only 18 pounds!

He test fit one on his car to make sure they clear the BBK I'm ordering soon. I sent a brake template to the rep at Mackin Industries back when I ordered them and he said 45 offset would clear but I wanted to make sure and there was tons of room. My mechanic has 5mm spacers on his Fahrenheit because BBS said his wheels would clear his BBK but they actually didn't. With the spacers there was over 10mm of clearance to the spokes so I'll have a solid 5mm on my car.

I left the wheels with him so a shop around the corner can powdercoat and paint them, he's going to handle quality control for me. I should be able to pick them up next Friday so I won't spoil the surprise by saying what I'm doing to them.

As for the rest of the weekend, first autocross day of the year tomorrow.

Boosty

Ready to race!
How much was shipping ? And how do you even order from the site ? The prices aren't bad for some of those wheels after you do conversions

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
They're local for me so I didn't order off the website. I dealt with them in person so shipping was just built into the price of the wheels.

I think you have to make an account to buy parts from the site. Give them call to find out if you're interested.

1-(905)-822-7223

Find out if there are customs charges on things being shipped from Canada to America though. We get shafted whenever we buy parts from down south, they charge as much for customs as shipping cost sometimes.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
It's a week late but I got (two of) my wheels back from the powdercoater today. Here they are

I had them powdercoated fully black because the machined lip doesn't flow with the motorsport look I'm going for. Yellow TE37 SL stickers on each wheel and two coats of automotive clear coat over top so I'll never have to worry about wheel cleaner ruining the stickers. It's also why the stickers fade to white in the pictures, tons of reflection in the clear coat.

My mechanic had a shop around the corner from his do the work and he said he wasn't happy with the clear coat on the other two wheels so he told them to redo it. I should be able to pick them up on Monday.

Ordering brakes next week.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Those are absolutely gorgeous! :wub:

I uploaded a bunch of video to YouTube. Two autocross events and test video of the external mic I just got for the GoPro.

Autocross - May 24, 2014

GoPro Hero 2 mounted inside windshield, audio from the internal mic using an open backing and no windscreen

Using the internal mic you really can't mount a GoPro anywhere but inside the car or you get nothing but wind noise. Even mounted right below the rear view inside the windshield you can still hear the wind.

Autocross - June 7, 2014

GoPro Hero 2 mounted inside windshield, audio from Audio Technica Pro 24-CM external mic mounted inside windshield using the supplied foam windscreen

The external mic has far better sound quality than the internal GoPro mic. The sound is more crisp mounted inside the windshield but it isn't close enough to the exhaust to get the noise you do want.

Audio Technica Pro 24-CM Test

The supplied foam windscreen is ineffective when you mount the mic to the front of the car. It's still better than the wind buffeting you get with the GoPro internal mic but a better windscreen is needed.

There's a lot less wind noise at the back of the car, obviously, but it's still not ideal. This was mounted just about the rear wiper. It picks up more exhaust and there's less wind but I still think a better windscreen is needed.

My next step is to order a Windtech MM1 windscreen and do another test using it.

Got two wheels cleaned and sealed today.

Last edited:

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Installed the Double Apex USB charger yesterday. It's nice that they include all the tools and hardware you need to install it but I didn't like the idea of using the splice fittings they provide so I got my mechanic to splice into the existing 12V wires and solder it properly. Works great for the GoPro while autocrossing because I don't need to carry a 12V adapter anymore.

My center console is done as far as parts go now. The only thing I need to do is get the shifter, handbrake, and armrest reupholstered but I'm going to leave that for this winter.

Last edited: