GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I NEED Help..

RonY.

I'm 16 years old with a huge love for my mk5. Currently its completely stock and I found a place close by that deals with tuning and other mods. I want to get apr stage 1 and a better intake the only problem being my dad bought the car and keeps using the excuse that "the car's his not mine". He thinks that getting a chip is some ungodly thing to do and that it "puts too much stress on the engine *eye roll*. Anyone have anything I can say to change his mind?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
As a fellow dad... he's right, it is his car if he bought it. I also think at 16 a stock MKV has plenty of power. Honestly, I say get to know the car as it is for a while before adding power.

As for my enthusiast answer, a stage 1 tune has very little negative effect on the motor, turbo or trans. A simple tune is in no way a bad thing to do and stage 1 power levels is how these cars should have come from the factory. I own 2 MKVs with alot more than a stage 1 tune and both have original stock motors. Have zero complaints or issues tune related.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
As a Grand dad...I say, and I know you know what I am about to write...buy it from him. Then do what you want. Right now, it is his car.

I'm sure your Dad is looking out for you...not to say you can't do that yourself. He likely thinks the stock GTI is more than enough power for you. More than enough to do what he hopes you do when driving...cruise from A to B as cautiously as he hopes you do so to see you again. Adding more power shatters his hopeful image of your driving habits. He cares...that's all this is. He gets your passion, but if the passion is real, you figure out how to make it happen for yourself. You buy a car...you do with it want you want...he no longer has any say. Would make him more proud seeing you hit the ground running after what you want...would give you the same pride in your accomplishment.

Is there anything I can add that might help change his mind? If he's not feeling modding a car with you...probably nothing I say will change his mind. Some, or rather a majority of, people just aren't into modding cars. If you can get him into the scene, then maybe you have a chance. Any local weekly VW/Tuner GTG's nearby? Dragstrip? Could you get him interested by attending a related event with you? Might want to check out any GTG's alone first making sure the attendees are decent folk and true enthusiasts.

Last edited:

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
At 16, I learned to drive in an Infiniti QX4 which I would say is more powerful than a mk5 gti. My first car at 18 was an Infiniti FX35 which I'd say is also more difficult and more powerful than a gti. Terrible sight lines, lots of power, amazing stock exhaust note. It was modded over the course of 170,000 mi - at which point I sold it and got my Gti (polar opposite of the SUV)

I'd say that experience is always important in learning to drive - essential even. There are plenty avoidable accidents that happen due to inexperience. But I personally shy away from telling anyone what to drive no matter their age.

Absolutely would figure a way to buy the car yourself, in your name.

Edit: tuning a car like a mk5 is harmless up to around 400 hp. There are thousands of tuned VWs with no issues from tuning and bolt on parts. It only gets expensive when you start strapping on big turbos where you need new transmission parts, forged internal internals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
First off, that is a WAY nicer car than I had at 16.....so you're already doing pretty well. At 16, I bought my third car, which was a honda civic hatchback (the super slow trim with dual point injected 1.5L and 4 speed trans) which was 12 years old at the time. No power ANYTHING, even had manual steering (not that I mind that on a small car). So first, enjoy the fact that you have a good-looking, sporty, relatively fast car at 16. At this point, I would work on getting your feet wet doing maintenance on the car, work on keeping it in good working order, learn how to change your oil, cam-follower (if it is FSI), spark plugs/coil packs, air filter, etc.

Second step, start saving your money. If you have a job, great. If you don't have a job, get one. It will teach you responsibility and give you some money in your pocket. Once you have saved your money, you can buy your car from your dad. Then you can do whatever you want to it. You will appreciate the car MUCH more when you own it yourself, pay the insurance, pay for your own gas, repairs, etc. It sounds stupid, but it's true. It will also show your dad that you're responsible and ready for a modded car.

parer555

Hi i have put a race chip in my 2008 turbo diesal and my current 2007 supercharged turbo petrol and inexpensive and improved both cars considerably both are plug and play units has not damaged either cars and are hidden not obtrusive thks Brian

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
As a fellow dad... he's right, it is his car if he bought it. I also think at 16 a stock MKV has plenty of power. Honestly, I say get to know the car as it is for a while before adding power.

Agree with this. Sign up for some GS autocross and learn what the car can do as it is. Impress your dad by not flying off the tarmac and steadily becoming a better driver and maybe he'll change his mind.

RonY.

Guys thank you for all the replies, I agree I'm gonna save up and try to buy the car from him. Only problem being he hasn't told me how much he got it for.

Soysauce

Nooob
Car(s)
'07 Gti
You’ve made a very good choice by joining the forum, there is sooo much good information here. Not too long ago I started in a situation almost identical to yours. I was 17 and had been driving my dad’s Toyota Seqouyah for 2 years. My dad bought me and my twin brother a Gti to share. I learned to drive manual, change oil, and do regular maintenance/fixes on this car. My parents are protective(aka smart), like yours, and didn’t want me in anything fast and dangerous. My dad even said he wouldn’t have bought the car had he known how fast it actually was. It wasn’t long until I was bit by the modding bug and wanted more power and looks, but I knew for sure any power mod was a strong “No” so I didn’t bother asking permission. Instead, I focused on cosmetics first i.e. headlight refresh, repainted grilles, shift knob, painted lowers, wheels and tires.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Guys thank you for all the replies, I agree I'm gonna save up and try to buy the car from him. Only problem being he hasn't told me how much he got it for.

I have an '07 in excellent condition and well over $10k into it. BBV is just over $7k for it. I wouldn't sell it for triple that.
The value of the one you are driving will go down more and more each year. So, drive it as long as you can, and by the time you want it for yourself...it will cost less :lol:

I have a few DIY vids('VIDEOS' tab) and I'm always adding more: https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomdis/featured

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have an '07 in excellent condition and well over $10k into it. BBV is just over $7k for it. I wouldn't sell it for triple that.
The value of the one you are driving will go down more and more each year. So, drive it as long as you can, and by the time you want it for yourself...it will cost less :lol:

I have a few DIY vids('VIDEOS' tab) and I'm always adding more: https://www.youtube.com/user/zoomdis/featured

Yup. When I traded up to the MK7, my MKV was worth $2,500 in trade-in or about $4,000 in private sale. 143k miles and it was 10 years old.