GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problem with shifting to second gear

mlvine

Hi guys, i just noticed a problem with my 2007 mk5 GTI's manual transmission when shifting to 2nd gear. There is more vibration in the gear stick when shifting to 2nd and when I keep the stick between neutral and second (the clutch pressed all the way down) there is a similar rattling noise as if you partly released the clutch when the gear is not all the way in. This only happens when shifting to second gear, otherwise everything works just fine. This happens only when shifting slowly, on a quick shift I don't notice any problem. This came up just recently and it's definitely not how it's supposed to be. To me it seems like the clutch isn't properly disengaging the engine from the transmission but as I said it only happens with the second gear. The car is stock and has a mileage of 124 000km (77 000 miles).

So what do you think is causing this and what I should do? Should I take it to a service? Avoid using the 2nd gear? Personally I don't understand that much about the technical stuff of a drivetrain so advice would be precious. Thanks in advance!

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Have you ever done a trans flush ? As in changed the fluid ? If not try that first. If it still continues get it further diagnosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Maybe check your dogbone/trans/engine mounts for play. There could be enough movement under torque to cause issues. Also could check shift linkage for issues/improper adjustment.

mlvine

I have owned the car for just 5 months and no major service has been done so far. The problem actually disappeared yesterday... But thanks for the tips, I'll look into those especially if it comes back.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I have owned the car for just 5 months and no major service has been done so far. The problem actually disappeared yesterday... But thanks for the tips, I'll look into those especially if it comes back.

You should do it anyway because it will probably come back depending on the temperature and it might not be good for the synchro (especially if the one of the 2nd gear has already some wear). I had the problem on mine (2005 GTI which has more than 300'000km), difficult to put in 1st, 2nd and reverse when cold or very hot. Changed the oil and now it's perfect.