GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 Flutter Issue

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I'm tirelessly searching for an answer to this question at this point. Every old thread about this derails into an argument between Arin@APR, Mike@Forge, and someone else that may or may not know what they're talking about.

I'm having an issue with K04 flutter using a Neuspeed P-Flo intake, and the car is running a DM tune. I've contact DM and they don't seem too keen on giving me any advice.

Question (tl;dr):

I've read multiple times in the past (before I had a K04) that this could be solved by using a different intake, due to some MAF housing issue in some intakes.

Is this correct? If so, what intakes have the proper MAF housing?

If not, what is the issue and how can I take steps to correct it at this point?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
1. DM is pushing the K04 too hard
2. Switch to a different tuner. (Etuners?)

There are quite a few of us running DM K04 tunes like me with zero issues. They are aggressive but if your car is in order no issues. I am running the full water/meth file which is like a race file with no issues. Given my experience his problem is not likely tune related.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I'm tirelessly searching for an answer to this question at this point. Every old thread about this derails into an argument between Arin@APR, Mike@Forge, and someone else that may or may not know what they're talking about.

I'm having an issue with K04 flutter using a Neuspeed P-Flo intake, and the car is running a DM tune. I've contact DM and they don't seem too keen on giving me any advice.

Question (tl;dr):

I've read multiple times in the past (before I had a K04) that this could be solved by using a different intake, due to some MAF housing issue in some intakes.

Is this correct? If so, what intakes have the proper MAF housing?

If not, what is the issue and how can I take steps to correct it at this point?

I am running CTS intake and K04 with full DM water meth file. Zero issues. There were 2 known intakes to stay away from. One was K&N and I can't remember the other but I didn't think it was the Neuspeed.

Can you tell us more about the issue - under what conditions does it occur and is there a loss of power etc.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
DM K04+ with a P-Flow here.

I had issues where it would flutter in mid-range RPM's but those went away after messing with my wastegate due to overboosting issues.

I still have no clue where my wastegate is set, once I have a lift in my garage I am going to go look at it.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
I am running CTS intake and K04 with full DM water meth file. Zero issues. There were 2 known intakes to stay away from. One was K&N and I can't remember the other but I didn't think it was the Neuspeed.

Can you tell us more about the issue - under what conditions does it occur and is there a loss of power etc.
It'll happen at WOT in 4th - 6th gear pulls starting 2800-3200 RPM. It does feel sluggish when the flutter happens. I knew there was an issue with some intakes but I wasn't sure which would solve the problem. Maybe CTS or BSH.

But over the last year of trying to find out about DM through their customer service (and now tech support) I'm becoming less confident that I'm going to have a final product that I'm happy with.

Only reason I have their tune is cause I bought a new MKV that had the K04 with DM already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Is boost fluctuating or is it a sound it's making? Or both?

What are your logs saying? If requested boost is fluctuating in that range, I'd say it might be the tune. If not, maybe dv isn't holding the boost at that level? I'm pretty sure that DV would be a little more pronounced, audibly, with the intake on there, as compared to the WG doing it. Like a locomotive chugging up a hill.

But if it is the wastegate, and the car is requesting it to open and close rapidly, it could be the WG itself. When I was overboosting, due to a too-tight WG, I had some major flutter, that was ecu-induced. Turned the WG down a few rotations and it went away. Basically actual was more than requested so the car opened the WG, then it was too far below and it closed it, over and over, quickly. Logs showed this clearly.

Colder weather made this worse for me than warmer.

Personally, I'd track down the issue further before dropping the cash on a whole new flash.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Is boost fluctuating or is it a sound it's making? Or both?

What are your logs saying? If requested boost is fluctuating in that range, I'd say it might be the tune. If not, maybe dv isn't holding the boost at that level? I'm pretty sure that DV would be a little more pronounced, audibly, with the intake on there, as compared to the WG doing it. Like a locomotive chugging up a hill.

But if it is the wastegate, and the car is requesting it to open and close rapidly, it could be the WG itself. When I was overboosting, due to a too-tight WG, I had some major flutter, that was ecu-induced. Turned the WG down a few rotations and it went away. Basically actual was more than requested so the car opened the WG, then it was too far below and it closed it, over and over, quickly. Logs showed this clearly.

Colder weather made this worse for me than warmer.

Personally, I'd track down the issue further before dropping the cash on a whole new flash.

Gotcha. I have been intending to log but haven't gotten a chance. Gonna do it tonight or tomorrow to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for the advice.

Probably going to drop the cash anyway because I haven't been satisfied with DM's service and I'm upgrading to a GT28 soon hoping to use an E85 mix. Doesn't seem like DM wants to spend time communicating to get this kind of thing dialed in.