GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Old 12-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
SMRGTI
Reefur Madness

Drives: 08 VW GTI & 01 Jeep Wrangler
Tranny Issues anyone?

I have been noticing when I down shift (lets say 5th to 4th to slow down), and then lightly press on the accelerator, I notice a bump/thud on the driver side (in the tranny area). Its hard to diagnose because it doesn't happen every time and ONLY when I do the downshifting. Is not the motor mounts because I upgraded and still notice the same bump/thud. It doesn't affect performance but it is a little annoying. Here is a tip though, I while back when I was new with the whole VW experience, I raced someone and shifted into second way to fast and snapped my pendulum mount. Got it fixed but as far as the bump/thud goes, thats as far back as I can remember. This incident occurred around 30,000 miles and the car now has 60,000. The bump/thud has NOT gotten any worse. The car is tuned and the clutch sometimes slips in 5th gear in the lower rpm range. Could this bump/thud be the clutch, differential, gear box, axles, anything?
SMRGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
healthynine
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 08 Evo X, 07 GTI, 93 Miata
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to this because my first thought was a motor mount. You said you've eliminated that as an issue.

That being said, perhaps putting this in the drivetrain section will get more people to help you.
healthynine is offline   Reply With Quote