GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Project racecar. Build #1

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I see that - lots of experimenting with the R32 brakes, TTRS, Boxster Brembos. I get it. But why not just get something like the Stoptech kit and stop messing around?

Just testing what's available and what will and will not work. The stoptechs will not work with the TTRS spindles, I'm finding very few do. Obviously cost has a lot to do with it as well. Building a full on real racecar with our income, a mortgage, kid, bills, etc isn't exactly easy. But at this point finding out what parts I can use in what combination to achieve the best performing car possible is what really matters to me. Been building it for coming up on 9 years now so I'm not in a rush.

Small updates. Got her all washed, waxed and ready for winter mode. Also back in her home and back to getting torn apart and put back together again lol.

Also test fit the flares, just wanted to see what it will look like. Have to tweak the fitment a little.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Did it move on its own power or towed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It still moves on its own power. Although a lot of pops from the front end when turning. I'll have to look into that this winter, have some suspension stuff to do anyway.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
After I replaced every single part of front with new better parts and tighten the hell out of everything I get pops now an then. I check it regularly and everything is as it should be so I just chock it up to the combination of parts

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Those flares look good - where can I get some? How much tire will fit under there?

How do they mount to the fenders? Hard to tell from picture if screwed, glued, riveted or ?

Sabre just posted the link. But they attach via double sided tape and nutserts. Know this, there is some serious body modifications that have to happen that are irreversible! So once you do this you can not go back!!!

I have room to go bigger if I wanted, but I'll be running a 17x9.5 et5 up front et0 in the rear on 265 tires and I'll still have room. Also realize that this is an insanely aggressive wheel/tire setup that can not just be slapped on. I have to run BIG spacers to allow the wheels/tires to clear the shocks. This is also not a daily driver setup in anyway.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Are you building to a certain class which limits tire width to 265mm?

What wheels are you running? Custom? Why not run more offset so you don't need big/any spacers?

Sabre just posted the link. But they attach via double sided tape and nutserts. Know this, there is some serious body modifications that have to happen that are irreversible! So once you do this you can not go back!!!

I have room to go bigger if I wanted, but I'll be running a 17x9.5 et5 up front et0 in the rear on 265 tires and I'll still have room. Also realize that this is an insanely aggressive wheel/tire setup that can not just be slapped on. I have to run BIG spacers to allow the wheels/tires to clear the shocks. This is also not a daily driver setup in anyway.

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
What wheels are you running? Custom? Why not run more offset so you don't need big/any spacers?

I agree with this. I wouldn't want to run spacers (especially large ones) on more of a track dedicated car. You should have a ton of pretty aggressive wheel options with the re-drilling method. I know guys with Evo X's for example run low offset wheels. But you should be able to find negative offset wheels with the correct width. I suppose cost is a factor and maybe running large spacers is acceptable for track usage, I'd just be a bit sketched out.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Are you building to a certain class which limits tire width to 265mm?

I use to run it in SCCA but have thrown in the towel on competitive Racing.... at least for now. So now I'm building it as the "ultimate" HPDE/open track day car. No limitations on anything aside from safety equipment. Not having its specd for a particular class has allowed me to do some really fun things with the build. Only reason for limiting it to 265 is scrub radius, I noticed a bit on 245 so I don't want to go much more than that.

I'm currently on Rota Grids 17x9.5 et35 (17.5lbs) 57.1 hub bore 5x112 bolt pattern. They were a limited run from Rota to our exact specs. I'll more than likely be sticking with these for at least a few seasons. I'm also converting to lug studs this year so I don't mind running the 30mm spacer in the back, 20mm spacer in the front. Front spacer is going to be reduced once the TTRS spindles go on. It's all trial and error and testing at this point.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Pretty cool. I feel the same way about building my car, no class limitations. I like the TT spindles idea.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Pretty cool. I feel the same way about building my car, no class limitations. I like the TT spindles idea.

This is what got me on that kick.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174711

Updated list to be added to for winter
-Fender flares
-Front splitter
-Rear diffuser
-Under body panels
-Rear spoiler extension
-Subframe trans full puck
-265/40/17 tires
-Finish up gauge wiring
-Battery relocate
-Finish lap timer wiring
-Lug stud conversion
-Front camber plates
-Rear camber arms and toe arms.
-to be added

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Just picked up one of two new sets of tires. Got Dunlop Direzza StarSpecs in 265/40/17. Also just ordered Bridgestone Potenza RE71R in 255/40/17. Getting two different sizes to see how they react and what they car likes more. I'm a little worried about scrub radius on the 265.

StarSpecs

BF Goodridge Rivals 225/45/17 on left.