GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't figure out front creak!!!

eliechahine

Hello
it's a 2007 mk5 gti stock suspension

whenever it's cold outisde and i accelerate or decelarate or hit a bumpi can hear
a very loud creaking noise like a wooden chair coming from the front..

if i drive for half an hour or so the sound is gone

so the mechanic could'nt hear it

suggestions?

eliechahine

Wait until its cold out, jounce the front end and see if you can hear it while its stationary

i already tried that and couldn't replicate it

it's mostly caused by forward/backward motion

i ordered 4 new subframe bolts but i'm starting to suspect lower control arm bushings?

do subframes stop creaking when it gets warmer?

Lanczer

I don't have any answers on this one but I have an '06 MKV which is experiencing this same exact issue. Only noticeable when cold and the sound goes away after driving for a bit. Really curious if anyone has pinned down what causes this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I had/have that issue with my R32, not my GTi tho. I have replaced the bushings front lower control arms with subframe bolts and cc subframe washers and it still does it. Which leads me to believe that:

A. It needs the front front lower control arm bushings

B. The strut bushings/bearings are worn.

One by one I'll see. I BELIEVE there may be a tech tip or tsb out there for it.

mrvertigo73

My steering column used to creak like that before it went pop. Does turning the wheel affect it at all? Of course it could be track rod ends / bushes etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I replaced basically my whole suspension...I believe it's end links on the sway bar making this noise.

eliechahine

I had/have that issue with my R32, not my GTi tho. I have replaced the bushings front lower control arms with subframe bolts and cc subframe washers and it still does it. Which leads me to believe that:

A. It needs the front front lower control arm bushings

B. The strut bushings/bearings are worn.

One by one I'll see. I BELIEVE there may be a tech tip or tsb out there for it.

i'm starting to suspect lower control arm bushings actually

dmsquattro

Ready to race!
Subscribed...
I have the exact same issue. Especially at slow speeds - getting on and off throttle in 1st and 2nd gear. I just replaced most of my front suspension, but did not do sway bar bushings. Anyone try to lube them and see if it goes away?
Would love to know an answer/fix.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
All of you are on the right track. The number one reason aside from sway bar endlinks (SUPER COMMON) is the subframe itself. It's so bad VW actually put out a TSB and a revised shim kit for it. The only real answer I have found are the subframe dead set kits. Multiple companies make them I highly suggest going with Tyrol sport. If you don't wrench yourself it's not a "cheap" job but it's worth it. Rarely do I see lower control arm bushing be the culprit of front end noise on the MKV's. But the only things that will make front end noise are

-subframe shift
-sway bar endlinks
-sway bar bushings
-ball joints
-control arm bushings (both front and rear position)

I'm not saying the dead set kit will 100% for sure solve your noise issue. But I can guarantee it will reduce a lot of it and change the way the car feels. Everything should be refreshed eventually as bushings do wear.

dski

I have the same issue on my 09. Only happens under freezing temps. Thinks and pops when you turn the wheel back and forth from center. Can actually fell it with you feet on the firewall. Dealer can't duplicate on the lift.

They thought it was water in something or the sway bar bushings.

TooMuchPoke

Doing it wrong
Car(s)
'07 Jetta Wolfsburg
Got the same issue and have had it for a while. Honestly completely forgot about it since I didn't hear it once throughout the warmer months. Now that it's cold again I get the creak in my front passenger side turning the wheel, hitting bumps, stopping and starting, and it eventually goes away after some driving. Most of my front suspension has been replaced. Just need to do sway bar bushings and strut mount bushings and bearings.

I have the strut bushings and bearings and plan to do them this weekend. I'll post up the results here. I highly suspect this is where mine is coming from, as the passenger side bearing fell apart in the process of installing coilovers.

TooMuchPoke

Doing it wrong
Car(s)
'07 Jetta Wolfsburg
And you still used/installed it?

Still using the old one, as cleaning all the ball bearings and putting it back together was my only option at the time.

At the same time I feel like the bushing may end up being the cause. It definitely sounds like more of a rubbery creak than a bearing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk