xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
ECS does sell a 2-piece set-up for the R brakes

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
ECS does sell a 2-piece set-up for the R brakes

Yeah I have them, one of the Rings cracked. Called ECS to get a replacement ring and was told "oh yeah we sell you a whole new kit at 10% off)........ Excuse me!!!??? Well that's good to know that it's just a big joke, why would I want to keep buying hats to!? So stupid!

And they also only sell drilled and slotted, I can say I don't want to run drilled rotors on the track.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
ahem excuse me? You have an A+ advisor who isn't going to say "I told you so"

But..... I told you so.

Ohoho, so we're bringing our argument in here now. Fine, was trying to keep that between us but now that I know the gloves are off!.....

:wink:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
If you have the time, put on the Boxster Brakes and the stock spindles and compare? I suspect they will react quicker than our floating calipers and probably allow for greater modulation. I think you have to reverse the crossovers and nipples on those so the larger piston is the trailing piston because they are mounted in opposite position on an actual Boxster. You probably already know all that. If you could find 2 piece rotors for those the weight savings would be phenomenal and the choice would be simple. When researching it a while back there were just a couple of mentions about folks using 2 pieces rotors with these but never found source and the posts were years old.

ECS is actually making a full 2 piece rotor setup for the stock GTI brakes (which the boxter setup use). However, again they are only drilled and slotted. What their obsession with drilled rotors is is beyond me. Cool looking for a street car, not so hot for a race car.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I abused my ECS rotors at VIR...they held up pretty well.

Mishimoto

Ready to race!
Please do! If it's better than OEM and doesn't have the same fitment issues as the Mishimoto I'll go that route. Looking to do this before the start of next season.

Finishing up with some front end stuff this week, installing the Whiteline bumpsteer kit finally. Fender flares and Boxter caliper brackets should be here sometime this week. Caliper brackets are coming from the UK so they might be here next week.

Hey thanks for the post.

I apologize if you had issues fitting our product. We hope you had a chance to contact us so we could work to correct any issues you were having. If not. we would like the opportunity to work with you directly on assuring you have a pleasant experience with us. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at Support@Mishimoto.com.

Best Regards,
Mishimoto

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Hey thanks for the post.

I apologize if you had issues fitting our product. We hope you had a chance to contact us so we could work to correct any issues you were having. If not. we would like the opportunity to work with you directly on assuring you have a pleasant experience with us. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at Support@Mishimoto.com.

Best Regards,
Mishimoto

Thanks you very much for the post and offer to help. I will be contacting you shortly to work something out. Not often you see a company going out if their way to make things right anymore. Props to you guys, I will be giving you another try because of this.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Argggg, so torn right now. Going to start tearing into the racecar next weekend to get it ready for the season. Can't decide if I should go for 2 piece rotors and boxter brakes on stock spindles or go with the TTRS spindles and Golf R brakes. 2 different effect can be achieved with the different setups but I want both lol. What to do, what to do. The benefits of each setup are almost impossible to determine which is better. Anyone with real world experience that can chime in would be greatly appreciated!

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
The 2 piece will do wonders for unsprung weight and are also better at heat dissipation. Consistency is king on the track, and I'd recommend going with the passat spindles instead.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Thanks you very much for the post and offer to help. I will be contacting you shortly to work something out. Not often you see a company going out if their way to make things right anymore. Props to you guys, I will be giving you another try because of this.

Funny, when I contacted Mishimoto about their radiator not fitting with my IE intercooler they said it's only designed to work with a stock intercooler and weren't very helpful, and said that they hadn't heard of that issue before. Ended up having my buddy at Fluidyne modify the end tank to work. Wouldn't recommend the Mishimoto radiator at all because of it, but it seems like a nice enough unit otherwise.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Argggg, so torn right now. Going to start tearing into the racecar next weekend to get it ready for the season. Can't decide if I should go for 2 piece rotors and boxter brakes on stock spindles or go with the TTRS spindles and Golf R brakes. 2 different effect can be achieved with the different setups but I want both lol. What to do, what to do. The benefits of each setup are almost impossible to determine which is better. Anyone with real world experience that can chime in would be greatly appreciated!

Maybe sell both the sets of front brakes and move to a new set of brakes. I have run Wilwoods on my GTO and really liked them. You can get a nice full front kit for about 1550. Forged 6 piston, narrow caliper and 2 piece rotors 327mm. Sell both sets and you will have most of the money.

Wilwood 140-12789-DR

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Maybe sell both the sets of front brakes and move to a new set of brakes. I have run Wilwoods on my GTO and really liked them. You can get a nice full front kit for about 1550. Forged 6 piston, narrow caliper and 2 piece rotors 327mm. Sell both sets and you will have most of the money.

Wilwood 140-12789-DR

I would hate to sell 2 good sets of brakes, one of which has been great and I know works with the spindles only to find out the Wilwoods won't work with the TTRS spindles.

Edit: Aside from the weight of both the rotors and calipers I have had zero issues with the R brakes, in fact I and a much more experienced driver than I have both been blown away athe he performance of the R brakes. I'll pick up another set of 2 piece rotors and stick with the R brakes. Can't pass up on the benefits of the spindles at this point knowing the brakes have been great.