GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Might order a 2015 GTI tonight

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +
but you guys are all missing something...$40,000 is $40,000....it doesn't matter if it's in Canada, or not. I honestly don't think a GTI is worth that. And if cars are more expensive in Canada, then don't drive expensive cars. I would argue that just because it's "normal" doesn't make $40k for a GTI any more "acceptable"...

Barrett

veeeeeduuub
Car(s)
08 GTI MKV
Who cares, just buy it. :)

freshslate

Constant
but you guys are all missing something...$40,000 is $40,000....it doesn't matter if it's in Canada, or not. I honestly don't think a GTI is worth that. And if cars are more expensive in Canada, then don't drive expensive cars. I would argue that just because it's "normal" doesn't make $40k for a GTI any more "acceptable"...

actually you're missing something...

ALL CARS in canada are marked up on average 10k more than what US pays. so your logic doesn't work either. if we used that logic, no one would buy any cars because it would still be 10k on avg more expensive than any car in the US.

example, ford focus RS i priced out as 40,152 here where i live. i bet you guys pay low 30's for the same RS.

yes 40k is expensive in the US, but if anyone here in canada wanted to buy something around the quality and refinedness of the GTI, they have to shell out that much for the car. if you said you rather a bimmer, well factor in the cost of bimmers here. brand new 335i comp pkg i priced out as 70k.

do you get it now?

Boosty

Ready to race!

ALL CARS in canada are marked up on average 10k more than what US pays. so your logic doesn't work either. if we used that logic, no one would buy any cars because it would still be 10k on avg more expensive than any car in the US.

example, ford focus RS i priced out as 40,152 here where i live. i bet you guys pay low 30's for the same RS.

yes 40k is expensive in the US, but if anyone here in canada wanted to buy something around the quality and refinedness of the GTI, they have to shell out that much for the car. if you said you rather a bimmer, well factor in the cost of bimmers here. brand new 335i comp pkg i priced out as 70k.

do you get it now?

What currency do you use in Canada ? And what is the exchange rate to the USD
The us dollar compared to other currencies is ridiculously pitiful we pay less for things than most countries because out dollar is worth next to nothing

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

You can't compare money like that. Our countries are very similar in a lot of ways but we have different economies. Literally everything is more expensive for us, from simple stuff like books and toys to the big stuff like cars and houses.

Take the price of gas, 91 octane is at ~$1.55/liter right now. Basically $6/gallon, I would say that's normal (although it's 5 cents above where its been for a long time) and you'd say its unacceptable, but I wouldn't t sell my car and get something that takes 87 just because the Americans pay less.

It's only unacceptable because you guys have a different perspective on it, for us this is the way it is and there's no way to get around it. If you don't want to by a GTI for that much then you still have the problem of buying a car that's unacceptably expensive since they're all "marked up". What else would you buy?

A Mazdaspeed 3? $34,000
A Ford Focus ST? $40,000 optioned like my car, including tax

Even a Honda Civic Si comes to $35,000 after tax. I'd say a GTI is worth $5000 more than a Civic and $6000 more than a Speed3.

So maybe for that money you want RWD. A Mustang GT is $43,000, plus another $1000 if you want Recaros and $2200 for Brembos. A Hyundai Genesis 3.8 is $39,000.

But maybe you want to by CPO. I bought my car, a loaded 2008 manual two door in 2012 for $23,700.

We're not talking about expensive cars here. And even if we were, I work hard, why would I not buy the car I want because you guys can get them cheaper? How does that make any sense?

What currency do you use in Canada ? And what is the exchange rate to the USD
The us dollar compared to other currencies is ridiculously pitiful we pay less for things than most countries because out dollar is worth next to nothing

The Canadian dollar.

1 USD = 1.10 CDN according to Google.

Prices for things in Canada have always been this way, our dollar was worth 60 cents American when I was growing up and prices were this way then too.

Austin_hull

Für Die Liebe Des Autos
Car(s)
MK5 TR GTI REVO// +

do you get it now?

You can't compare money like that. Our countries are very similar in a lot of ways but we have different economies. Literally everything is more expensive for us, from simple stuff like books and toys to the big stuff like cars and houses.

Take the price of gas, 91 octane is at ~$1.55/liter right now. Basically $6/gallon, I would say that's normal (although it's 5 cents above where its been for a long time) and you'd say its unacceptable, but I wouldn't t sell my car and get something that takes 87 just because the Americans pay less.

It's only unacceptable because you guys have a different perspective on it, for us this is the way it is and there's no way to get around it. If you don't want to by a GTI for that much then you still have the problem of buying a car that's unacceptably expensive since they're all "marked up". What else would you buy?

A Mazdaspeed 3? $34,000
A Ford Focus ST? $40,000 optioned like my car, including tax

Even a Honda Civic Si comes to $35,000 after tax. I'd say a GTI is worth $5000 more than a Civic and $6000 more than a Speed3.

So maybe for that money you want RWD. A Mustang GT is $43,000, plus another $1000 if you want Recaros and $2200 for Brembos. A Hyundai Genesis 3.8 is $39,000.

But maybe you want to by CPO. I bought my car, a loaded 2008 manual two door in 2012 for $23,700.

We're not talking about expensive cars here. And even if we were, I work hard, why would I not buy the car I want because you guys can get them cheaper? How does that make any sense?

nah guys, I got that from the beginning. I'm saying personally, I'd be driving a shitty beater car, not making the concession "just because it's what we have to do"...I guarantee your 1990's model cars are not $40,000....I'm saying personally, I'd drive a late 90s car, before spending $40k on a non-luxury hatchback. I don't think that the GTI is "refined" enough to merit $40,000, in ANY circumstance. But again, like I said, that's just me personally. In my first post on this thread, I suggested that the OP go for it! I just think it's dumb that you guys have to pay slightly less than double what it costs in the States...

mjh

vtech yo
Jeremy clarkson said he enjoyed the mk7 gti.

So, you will decide to buy a car on the basis of 3 old bias Europeans? Jeremy will always praise Aston Martins, Land Rovers, BMW, Mercedes, and VW till the day he dies. I would not let anything said or shown on Top Gear deter me, or push me to buy a car. They simply don't know much about what they talk about and it is really funny.

live4something

Ready to race!
Lesson Learned; If Canadian, never post prices of anything you buy because the concept of perspective is completely lost on some people. For instance many people wouldnt pay $300 for a pair of soccer cleats, or 4000 for a Bicycle, or 40k on art. Value is extremely subjective for people of different cultures and interest and therefore also very relative.

I say if the 2015 GTI is something you really want and you have the means to make it happen comfortably then go for it!

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Hopefully pay is equally as high up there?

The are so many ways to measure its hard to come up with exact figures but in general people earn more money in Canada.

Minimum wage is ~$11/hour in Ontario and is likely to go up in the next few years.

Median household income is higher, ~$72,000 vs. ~$51,000

Add universal health care to that and our money is less stressed. We might pay more for things here but trust me we do just fine, Canada's not consistently rated as one of the best countries in the world for nothing.

Turn8

Ready to race!
hey guys, check out the OP is from canada. yes, GTI's are 40k after taxes and everything. its just the sad fact of living up here in Canada. you guys in the states are extremely lucky, to be able to pay on average 10k cheaper than what we pay up here with shittier packages offered on our cars.

golf R starting is 40k, after taxes its 50k

Yeah, but Canada is beautiful and clean and, I think you folks pay less income taxes than many of us here. It's not all bad!

Heck, Canada is looking more attractive day by day. :wink:

Mike

Turn8

Ready to race!
Value is extremely subjective for people of different cultures and interest and therefore also very relative.

I say if the 2015 GTI is something you really want and you have the means to make it happen comfortably then go for it!

Agreed.

Mike

-SnowMan-

Ready to race!

Fucking what?!

Everything you just said is wrong.

Yes, the dollar is weaker, but because it is weaker we should be paying MORE so that the manufacture can recoup their costs.

Your thinking is flawed. The US car market is cheaper than other markets for reasons other than the value of a dollar.

The CA car market is more expensive for reasons other than their currency.

End of the story is that EVERY car is more expensive in Canada. 40k here will not buy what 40k in Canada can buy.

freshslate

Constant
Yeah, but Canada is beautiful and clean and, I think you folks pay less income taxes than many of us here. It's not all bad!

Heck, Canada is looking more attractive day by day. :wink:

Mike

not true, US citizens pay less income tax than us canadians. you guys don't have nearly as many social services which is funded by tax dollars.

i for one get close to 40% of my income taxed away from me, while my wife is closer to 35% of her income. we're not even at the highest tax bracket yet either. at the highest bracket, canadians can expect to pay up to 50% of their income as tax before even seeing it in their bank accounts.

freshslate

Constant
nah guys, I got that from the beginning. I'm saying personally, I'd be driving a shitty beater car, not making the concession "just because it's what we have to do"...I guarantee your 1990's model cars are not $40,000....I'm saying personally, I'd drive a late 90s car, before spending $40k on a non-luxury hatchback. I don't think that the GTI is "refined" enough to merit $40,000, in ANY circumstance. But again, like I said, that's just me personally. In my first post on this thread, I suggested that the OP go for it! I just think it's dumb that you guys have to pay slightly less than double what it costs in the States...

lol you still don't get it.