GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, others are probably way more knowledgeable than me - I just deal with things as they come up, besides the major issues any car might get., especially at higher mileage.

Common issues I know of for Mk5 Golf platform, not necessarily VR6/R32 specific, but some are:

• Water/leaking in the battery box enclosure
  • Timing chains rattling - either from stretching or guides becoming worn and causing problems
  • AC compressor, radiator failing, or thermostat leaking coolant and/or crack pipe breaking
  • Oil pan or other underbody pieces prematurely rusting, along with front bottom door corner rusting and areas under the hatch logo or rocker panel
  • Hatch mechanism, hatch release button going bad, and/or hatch (and hood) struts not supporting
  • Rear hatch motor or wiper sprayer going bad
  • Sunroof seals leaking or failing prematurely
  • DSG issues - Mechatronic unit going bad, causing harsh or chattery shifting or dual mass flywheel issues with wear, also oil pan cover rusting
  • Soft touch interior panels peeling or cracking at high usage points (or from sunlight, people with lotions, other types of common chemicals that repeatedly touch the plastics)
  • Serpintine belt/tensioner failure prematurely
  • Exhaust - Flex pipe breaking, catalytic converter going bad or O2 sensors going bad

I'm sure there's other issues, plus normal German car issues. Things like wheel bearings going bad, motor mounts breaking, struts and springs wearing out, along with control arm bushings, replacing thermostat, water pump etc. at higher mileage, window/accessory motors going bad. Also interior relay going bad.

I'm positive there's a few of these common issue threads floating around here or the vortex because I've read them off before also. Maybe not specifically R32 but Mk5 golf in general.

My car specifically has had a whole bunch of issues that the previous owner dealt with. I'm actually pretty impressed at his maintenance budget. Replaced the radiator twice and AC compressor once and still complained to the dealer about not-cold AC. Replaced starter wiring harness and ignition module. Replaced a headlight because he thought it was not functioning properly. Replaced the flex pipe and catalytic converter with OEM parts. Replaced mechatronic unit once. Replaced the serpentine belt once. Repainted the front and rear bumper covers. Kept up on the oil intervals properly and replaced tires pretty frequently as well.

Once I got the car, I had to replace the suspension - struts, springs, rear wheel bearings, tie rod ends, end links, rear control arms. Also replaced the DSG oil pan due to rust, both headlight bulbs (man those were like $100 each but OEM lasted over 8 years so I figured it was worth it), random interior and exterior light bulbs, and interior relays affecting signaling, interior lighting and rear wiper functions. Also rear control arms had to be replaced due to bushing failure. That's it for the absolutely necessary repairs, there's a bunch of mods I did for my own gratification also.

I always wonder if an Accord or Camery would have as much monetary value vs. the maintenance dollars I have to put in, especially when i think about all the dollars put into the car for pure maintenance vs. modding.

Thats a very comprehensive list and really appreciate this! I’ll start proactively purchasing some of the items that you mention so I can be prepared for when the time comes :)

I sometimes wonder the same... but every time I turn the switch in this car it brings a huge smile to my face so for now lol, I’ll keep modding as much as time permits.

Hope to see some more cool stuff added soon, what the next mod that you have in mind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Good thing I have a giant folder of receipts - the PO kept everything so I tried to do the same. [emoji849]

Part number was 1K8-943-021-C - list was $46.99 each but I got it at a small % over cost, something like ~$60 total. Still a lot of license plate lights but it was the whole housing and bulb and should pretty much last forever. The ones on the GTI are 5 years old and still solid, plus how often do good leds burn out? Almost never?

Yea I have somehow acquired some sort of mutant migraine that has hit me in my old age (30 [emoji849]) and makes it so I can't keep any water or food down which means after a few days I am dehydrated which means ER visits and iv fluids and the whole mess. Hopefully breaking the cycle soon... we shall see.

70 miles a day is killer - all freeway I'm only getting 24-25 mpg which means filling up almost every other day. I used to do 60 a day but fortunately my commute has halved itself because of my office physically moving locations. A full tank I think I get around 300 mi but if any local driving is involved it could be closer to 200... definitely not fuel efficient.

If I had to replace a cat I think I'd just buy the miltek reps that Underhill makes in the U.K. and replace headers/test pipes and mate to my catback. OEM cat from a dealer is $$$ - my PO replaced one, I'd have to find that receipt also but I remember sticker shock and I didn't even pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the PN!

Damn dude they migraine thing is no joke I had a bad case of that after my dirtbike crash a long time ago. After hella trips to the dr someone I pass I g mentioned that after a bump on the noggin he had the same issues and it wasn’t till he had his wisdom teeth pulled that they mostly went away. I tried it, and boom. No more multiple daily migraines.

In other news I finally did the tstat and in hindsight, it wasn’t all that bad. My poopy back disagreed but overall pretty easy. Threw in an ect, housings and 42DD crack pipe. It’s nice this time of year to have the car warm up faster, and, no more pesky P2181. Oh! And I got my Detroit’s put on. ?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
In a fit of boredom I almost bought Underhill's miltek rep manifold and test pipes. They don't add power just sweet vr6 noise. Then again I could just get an unresonated pipe section for my cat back, replacing the resonator. And not spend triple digits [emoji849]. But bragging rights.

And since I'm still planning on dropping he trans and engine... perfect time to install exhaust manifold right??

Also sent one set of Omanyts off to my friend to be painted glossy black with a lot of metallic flake to match the black on red gene. The other Omanyts will get refinished and powercoated OEM- looking, hopefully retaining the stock machined lip as well to match the unused OEM grill I have. I am a little worried about using the tires on those wheels... they are essentially new Continental DW summers that I've had sitting for about a year and a half. I think I need to use them or they'll start dry rotting. But I don't really like them. And they were expensive! Ahhh well.

Anyways. It's easy to swap grills and wheels at least and totally alters the look of the car. I guess having 3 sets of OEM wheels is. I don't know. It's not useful. Don't listen to me (the third set is the VW Serron winter wheels).

Last edited:

Rollineuro

Go Kart Champion
In a fit of boredom I almost bought Underhill's miltek rep manifold and test pipes. They don't add power just sweet vr6 noise. Then again I could just get an unresonated pipe section for my cat back, replacing the resonator. And not spend triple digits [emoji849]. But bragging rights.

And since I'm still planning on dropping he trans and engine... perfect time to install exhaust manifold right??

Also sent one set of Omanyts off to my friend to be painted glossy black with a lot of metallic flake to match the black on red gene. The other Omanyts will get refinished and powercoated OEM- looking, hopefully retaining the stock machined lip as well to match the unused OEM grill I have. I am a little worried about using the tires on those wheels... they are essentially new Continental DW summers that I've had sitting for about a year and a half. I think I need to use them or they'll start dry rotting. But I don't really like them. And they were expensive! Ahhh well.

Anyways. It's easy to swap grills and wheels at least and totally alters the look of the car. I guess having 3 sets of OEM wheels is. I don't know. It's not useful. Don't listen to me (the third set is the VW Serron winter wheels).

I have a resonator delete pipe for sale

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I have a resonator delete pipe for sale

I am somewhat interested but I was eying the Miltek piece which costs too much and directly replaces with no welding, just clamps, with the thought I could swap back and forth if needed. I'll think about it.... I'm too indecisive about cosmetic stuff.

Hand washed the car for the first time in... half a year probably. Looking forward to seeing how these Omanyts turn out and getting off these winter tires. To be honest, Ive been driving the GTI a lot the last week. Too much. 500-600 mi in the last week alone.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Painted one set of Omanyts black with heavy pearl and a little tornado red in the clear. Hard to get a picture of it but it looks pretty nice. Basically it looks black but had some cool details when it’s in direct sunlight. So happy to have my winters off.

Center caps aren’t painted yet so I’m running the Mk6 caps and lug covers but eventually the mk5 centers will be painted as well.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Nice job on the paint on the wheel. Looks hella good!
Are you running Firestones?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Nice job on the paint on the wheel. Looks hella good!
Are you running Firestones?

They’re so shiny right now I’m almost afraid to drive them. Used some really nice Sherwin Williams clear coat that cost an arm and a leg but seems to promise to be pretty durable. I have pads that dust a LOT so I’m hoping it’ll protect. I may pay someone to ceramic coat these but I don’t know if I want to invest that much - another $150 or so - into these stock wheels.

I did just drive about 500 mi on them tho driving to Detroit and back last week plus commuting. Everything seems fine so far but one wheel does need some weights or something. A little out of balance.

Just some cheap Firestone Indy firehawks I got around two years ago? 3 years at this point actually - I’d have to check my records. Bought direct from a Firestone and sold my Continental DW tires. For all the good reviews those get I really couldn’t stand them. I tried them on both cars and two different widths and bailed on them both times. I think I will stay away from Continental for now. Or maybe just that genre of summer tire was too soft sidewalled for me. I don’t know. I didn’t really like Michelin PSS either to be honest.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Bad wheel bearing. Probably will do an oil and DSG service too while I'm doing this. At least both wheel bearings will be new ish within the last two years now.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Bad wheel bearing. Probably will do an oil and DSG service too while I'm doing this. At least both wheel bearings will be new ish within the last two years now.

Dang! Yours has been trucking along well. I finally decided to put a tracking thread over on the vortex, myself. I just did hella work to mine this Friday. I suppose it was due at 114k.

How’s the migraine cycle?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Dang! Yours has been trucking along well. I finally decided to put a tracking thread over on the vortex, myself. I just did hella work to mine this Friday. I suppose it was due at 114k.

How’s the migraine cycle?

I’m at 156k so not too bad. Approaching winter so just need to do the fluid Maintenances and buy at least two new tires. Probably should repaint my winter wheels also.

I thought it was just a scraping under-shield but when I finally got some lift time i checked out the driveshaft area and it was all totally clean. So I hit the wheels and the rear passenger was so loose I felt like I could have popped the wheel straight off. I guess I haven’t had a bad wheel bearing in almost a decade so I just didn’t recognize it for what it was. Went from a tiny sound to terrible in the space of days. Good thing I parked the car and drove the rscekar till I got lift time in. Unexpected ~$500 maintenance bill. I was telling myself it was the rear diff or drivetrain issues I was going to sell the car and look at leasing a golf R or an AWD GSW [emoji23][emoji23]

What’s the thread? I have a username over there but I usually don’t check the tex unless I’m selling something.

Heh thanks for asking. I’ve been clean with the migraines all summer but I had a week cycle bad when the weather got cold last month. Doc says maybe the cold weather and seasons makes a different - apparently it does in other people. I guess I’m getting older.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Lol! The wheel bearing situation is friggin hilarious!

Good to hear about the migraines for the summer time at least, getting old blows nuts man. Luckily my migraine issue was resolved, but I traded that in for a slipped disc. Haha

4982 progress https://r.tapatalk.c...tex.com/showthread.php?t=9249717&share_type=t

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
The part itself wasn’t bad, but I added the parts for an oil change and DSG fluids in on top of it. Interesting design that the front and rear wheel bearings are identical in the golf AWD platforms. Makes it easy.

I’m glad you’re feeling better man! Slipped discs are no joke though - back in HS I had one from sports and I had to stop contact sports after sophomore year because of it.