GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil smoke in engine bay after a climb

woodlumn

New diverter valve will be here Monday.

Is it likely that the bad diverter is what's causing the oil drops on the passenger side control arm? I'm losing about a quart of oil per 400 miles and don't see evidence of leaks elsewhere...

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Seems a bit much, oil drops through the electrical connector so it's probably some drops per drive especially since there is not much oil is the air pipes to begin with (except if the turbo is almost gone) . Probably have another leak.

woodlumn

The vw tech said my leaks were from a "repaired" oil pan and the brake booster vacuum pump. There's a slight film of oil near the pan "repair," but never any drops forming. They said the vac pump has a slight "weep," but nothing major.

I noticed that my dv is pretty oily and figured that was the culprit.

Why would oil drops form on the bolts of the passenger side of the subframe? (Pics in the initial post.)

Thank you!

(edit: subframe, not control arm!)

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Replacing the DV, Vacuum pump, crushed turbo outlet pipe, and swaybar end links are very easy jobs. It really sucks for you because someone beat that thing up pretty good going over something or went on an off-road excursion...out of control and what not. LOL Just do the research in prep for each job, enter the upcoming job in this forum's search, and even start your own diy thread and keep it updated as you go.

Some things to consider as you do each job are; what other bits should I replace as I do the job? There are seals and gaskets...brake booster hose is a common item that gets brittle and when it splits it will cause problems, etc.. This would be good questions to ask in prep..."what else should I address while doing this job?"

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
PCV is a likely culprit for that oil getting into your DV.

If you can stay ahead of maintence these are fun cars.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Fix what you know is leaking, blast it with degreaser and have a look at it after a few days.

woodlumn

I took the engine cover off and disconnected the hose from the PCV valve to the intake. There was some oil in this hose. I blew into it and with some effort was able to pass air through (wasn't easy, but it did pass).

Does this mean bad PCV? Would that contribute significantly to oil consumption?

Also, what is the best way to clean out an oil electrical D connector? My DV electrical connector is full of oil...

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Remove the battery and clean it like everything else. Hit it with contact cleaner to get rid of residue and toss some dielectric grease to seal it up.

woodlumn

Update

I replaced the PCV and gasket, and replaced the DV with the upgraded design. Took my time and the whole job took less than an hour.

I'm 400 miles in and have had no oil loss and no more oil droplets on the subframe. This is excellent news. I will post back after I hit 700 miles, which is the distance that was costing me about a quart of oil.

I'll add that the DV came apart in my hands as I removed it and displayed the classic torn boot.