GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof leak but not from the drains

JHZR2

Hello,

My wife has an 08 Rabbit, bought new, and currently has about 65k miles. Over the last few months we have noticed a few instances where we thought there was a water leak. It happened twice in a week recently so I investigated.

There were some good resources, and I thought it was a glue issue like shown here:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173100

So I started to remove things holding the headliner up so that I could investigate the front right corner, which is the only one that we see any water issues.

Of course first I ensured that the sunroof drain was clean and clear... You can see that water flows and that it is not clogged. I also ran a weedwacker line down there, and while it didn't come out the bottom end, the flowing water test was telling enough...

So water drains through the pipe, and unlike the link shown above, it is NOT the coupling from the drain nipple to the tubing that is leaking. In fact, that works fine. It is coming from just inboard of that, where there is a small torx screw.

Nothing looks cracked or broken, everything looks fine and clean underneath. But pour water up there and while some goes down the drain, the some standing water drips right down near that screw and then traverses the headliner to go right down the A pillar, dripping out halfway down the trim at the kick panel of the front passenger.

So obviously Im not happy. While I could have repaired the drain hose with just a slight bending of the headliner, this looks like a full-fledged headliner removal to fix whatever it is, and who knows what it is.

Any ideas? Hs anyone seen this before?

This is our first VW and while we like it for a lot of reasons, water management is poor. This happens, the cowls are nearly impossible to clean because that windshield trim will break if you bend it up enough to get an arm in:

And a ton of junk collects at the bottom of the front fender liners... Unfortunate that this is the case, as we really love the car.

But I need to get to the bottom of this, as I can't have water leaking into the car... Recommendations???

Thanks!

SapperStryker

Yes....
Car(s)
07' GTi MKv
Any luck? I have the same issue