GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Block Broke and Engine Fell

Loco38SUP

Well this has been a fun journey, NOT!

Now I know why most people just part out their GTIs when a major repair is required. Im at week 5 of this repair and Im starting to finally gain some ground. Its sucks PhotoBucket hosting is screwed up. I have quite the photo documentary for this repair.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Here is a pic of the damage. I had to extract 2 broken bolts from the block.

Here is a pic with the repair bracket in place.

-RJM

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Had what happen? Did a mount break? But no. My 06’ GLI was totaled by 200lb deer running in front of me at 45. The 08’ R32 I replaced with has been good overall at over 220k.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Well this has been a fun journey, NOT!

Now I know why most people just part out their GTIs when a major repair is required. Im at week 5 of this repair and Im starting to finally gain some ground. Its sucks PhotoBucket hosting is screwed up. I have quite the photo documentary for this repair.

Has anyone else had this happen?

-RJM

Put your new photos up on Imgur, much better service, no charge.

If you want to see Photobucket pics you can add the Photobucket hotfix extension to your browser. Here is one I use for Chrome.LINK

CursedCamfollower

My transmission side mounting block broke and caused the engine to fall. Only broke a coolant hose and had to get new motor mounts not a super costly endeavor probably because my car was still stock height.

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
My transmission side mounting block broke and caused the engine to fall. Only broke a coolant hose and had to get new motor mounts not a super costly endeavor probably because my car was still stock height.

Jeeze.
My passenger side motor mount also broke and dropped the engine probably 6 inches.....nothing was damaged though, so the mount was replaced and good to go.

Loco38SUP

Sorry guys, Ive had my head under the hood trying to get this repair finished up.

The part that broke was the threaded tab on the block. The location is right below the exhaust manifold. Once it broke the engine mount bracket folded over and snapped the other two bolts in the block.

I guess it’s more common in the TDI engine since I found a repair bracket for it at Dieselgeek.com

I will try Imur and get some photos posted up here.

-RJM

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
How does that upper bracket match the broken ear mount on the block.

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Sorry guys, Ive had my head under the hood trying to get this repair finished up.

The part that broke was the threaded tab on the block. The location is right below the exhaust manifold. Once it broke the engine mount bracket folded over and snapped the other two bolts in the block.

I guess it’s more common in the TDI engine since I found a repair bracket for it at Dieselgeek.com

I will try Imur and get some photos posted up here.

-RJM

Shit......well, the block is iron,can’t weld that.